Used 2005 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Big disappointment
By disappointed

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this to replace our 1995 Taurus wagon, which I loved, and which would approach 30 mpg highway with careful driving. Well, the poor mileage (around 20 highway) was only the beginning of our disappointments. When we first bought the car, water would leak into the passenger floorboard every time it rained (up to a half-inch of standing water). It took the dealer 25 hours of labor to find all the leaks. Unfortunately, since then we have also lost roof brackets, the entire air conditioning system, the rear window hydraulic supports, the rear door latch, and multiple rust spots. I've never had a greater variety of problems with a single car. Good job, Ford. You've lost me.

Color. (Discontinued, unfortunately, so I had to special-order touch-up paint for a three-year-old car!)

It would be nice to have a car where the AC, the door latch, the paint job, the rear window supports and the roof rack would all last more than 3 years. Oh, and if it wouldn't start rusting visibly in three years, that would be nice, too.

Nice car if had better engine and trans
By taurusowner30

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car was purchased with only 2- 3000 miles on it. At 1st it ran great with little to no problems. As soon as it hit the limit of the warranty then the problems started. 1st it was little things. Then the transmission went out. Now I am about to replace the transmission again for the 3rd time. This car would be an excellent car if it would have been built better. Ford needs to be ashamed of itself for building such a good looking car and such a bad engine. No wonder American cars have fallen so far behind foreign cars.

Exterior design is timeless

Engine and Transmission

Exceeds Expectations
By mppppm

2005 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used three years ago with 22,000 miles. Now has 96K + and I've had no problems at all. It averages 27 mpg highway. I haven't even done routine maintenance - just regular oil changes, a new battery and plugs ... and it keeps on going. I love this car!

Reliability. Stable in all kinds of weather. Comfortable seating front and back.

Maybe less wind noise. Sound system could be better.

2005 Taurus
By big_big_jon

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I never really liked Fords but this Taurus is great the only way it could be better would be if it had the DOHC 24 valve. it get's great gas milage. I'm gettig about 26 mpg which is better than I expected out of it. I've had no major problems with it. I love the car.

My favorite fearture would have to be the fact that it has enough interior space and the power to move it.

Improvement would have to be a more powerful engine

Worth every penny
By Good to Go

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought with 7k miles, it now has almost 130k and without any mechanical issues along the way. Car was a great buy for the money and has been very reliable to date. Fuel economy has been pretty good as well. Overall a well built vehicle that was thousands less than the competition.

Reduce road noise