2005 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
2005 Taurus
By big_big_jon on 03/19/09 11:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I never really liked Fords but this Taurus is great the only way it could be better would be if it had the DOHC 24 valve. it get's great gas milage. I'm gettig about 26 mpg which is better than I expected out of it. I've had no major problems with it. I love the car.

Worth every penny
By Good to Go on 12/21/08 18:17 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought with 7k miles, it now has almost 130k and without any mechanical issues along the way. Car was a great buy for the money and has been very reliable to date. Fuel economy has been pretty good as well. Overall a well built vehicle that was thousands less than the competition.

Don't Buy Flex-Fuel Version
By desoto44 on 11/25/08 16:03 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this as a program car with 22,000 miles on it in October 2005. My biggest complaint is the poor mileage of the flex fuel version. I was very satisfied with a nearly identical (regular fuel only) 99 Taurus I owned. The 99 Taurus got about 20 city/ 26 highway MPG. This car struggles to get 20 MPG on the highway. I took it back to the dealer and the explanation was flex fuel cars are designed to run hotter and thus use more fuel. In short, there was nothing that could be done to improve the 20-25% drop in MPG. Other than that I like everything else about the car, but I would not have purchased this car had I known about the comparatively terrible MPG.

TTU Fan
By drc1 on 11/20/08 07:52 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have just traded for an '05 Taurus. First one I've had. Bought it used with 57,000 miles. Looks like all of the reviews are great. Looks like no one had any transmission problems. That always a concern when buying a used car. It rides great and getting 18mpg so far. Not too bad. Partly in town and out. Got a great trade in deal. Seems like the Taurus does have have a good trade in value. Bought it at the end of the month. Maybe that was the reason.

First Taurus
By First time owner on 09/01/08 05:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Transmission replaced at 26,000. New Ball joints at 30,000, brakes repaired twice, electrical problem with transmission, all repaired under warranty. Ford dealership that did the work was really good. If I buy a Ford again it will be because of the dealership. Car appears ok now, bought it used with 10,000 miles on it so it may have had rough use. Car is a little noisy on the highway, rear side visibility somewhat restricted. Car air and heat work good. Mileage about 27 to 30 on highway.

I was warned
By Gary on 08/02/08 06:05 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this used with 12000 miles and still under factory warranty. AC wasn't working, needed seal put in. Gas gauge started to flucuate between empty and full along with display message of fuel comp error. Took 4 trips to dealership to fix. Once when I was discussing with a customer his scan tool he had sent in for repair at my job I mentioned I tested his tool on my Taurus. He said, " your tranny and one motor mount will go bad". 6 months later tranny went out at 36200 miles. Ford dealership said it was a stripped pump shaft in torque converter. I get about 29-30 mpg highway with the 3.0L six, but just don't trust the car anymore, will probably trade it soon.

No More Fords!
By ShaylaD on 07/14/08 11:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car in July of 2005 with about 20,000 miles on it. I needed something dependable so I figured that this was a great choice. I've always loved the way that bigger cars handled and I liked the look of the car. Worst car purchase so far. I had to replace the transmission at 70,000 miles(I got lucky, other consumers had to replace theirs at 40,000 miles), the air compressor and serpentine belt at around 40,000.

Disappointed With MPG
By desoto44 on 07/04/08 08:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this SEL model in October 2005 with 22,000 miles on it. I am very happy with the quality and styling of this car, but am extremely disappointed with the MPG and ride. I have an identical 99 Taurus that gets 25 MPG city/highway. The 05 struggles to get 20 MPG. The dealer told me the lower mileage was due to the fact this is a "Flex-Fuel" model, burns hotter, and nothing could be done to improve it. So buyer beware of Flex-Fuel models. Also the handling is great but you feel every bump. If I purchase another Taurus it will definitely not be a flex-fuel version.

Can't beat the value
By DJ on 06/22/08 19:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Comfy (leather & power) seats, really smooth ride, quiet and good overall handling. Good ABS brakes and fwd is great in snow. Great hwy mpg at 27-29 with a/c going and going 75 mph! I bought this car because I had a 2001 Taurus I liked - person who bought it still drives it daily to work, no problems. I bought the 2005 SEL used for $13k with only 23k miles and only 2 yrs old. Much better deal than any Honda or Toyota, and it will cost me less overall, and not rattle like those foreign cars when it has 100k + miles on it. Great quality and value in this car! I like that its a sleeper - no cops. Old, middle aged or young, rich or poor, people can all drive this car and look OK doing so.

Solid
By Nicol on 04/03/08 07:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 112000 km's, so far excellent. Quiet and powerful on highway. Paid $7300. Fuel economy 9L/100k city and 10L/highway. Very happy so far.