2005 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Best used car I've ever owned
By photowiz on 07/30/09 21:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this 2005 Taurus SE as a one owner used car with 60,000 miles. It has been driven daily and now has 122,000 in less than 2 years. It performs beautifully and has yet to let me down. I'm getting average 27 mpg and approaches 30 on the highway!. I switched to full synthetic oil when I bought it and use injector cleaner gas additive regularly. Engine power band is smooth and low end torque is impressive for a 3.0 liter engine. I live in a fairly mountainous area and the only thing that annoys me is the drain in power when running the AC on hot days. Fuel mileage drops about 2.5 mpg, which is more than my other vehicles. All in all I'm going to drive the wheels of this one. Great car.

Big disappointment
By disappointed on 07/29/09 19:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this to replace our 1995 Taurus wagon, which I loved, and which would approach 30 mpg highway with careful driving. Well, the poor mileage (around 20 highway) was only the beginning of our disappointments. When we first bought the car, water would leak into the passenger floorboard every time it rained (up to a half-inch of standing water). It took the dealer 25 hours of labor to find all the leaks. Unfortunately, since then we have also lost roof brackets, the entire air conditioning system, the rear window hydraulic supports, the rear door latch, and multiple rust spots. I've never had a greater variety of problems with a single car. Good job, Ford. You've lost me.

Nice car if had better engine and trans
By taurusowner30 on 07/09/09 08:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car was purchased with only 2- 3000 miles on it. At 1st it ran great with little to no problems. As soon as it hit the limit of the warranty then the problems started. 1st it was little things. Then the transmission went out. Now I am about to replace the transmission again for the 3rd time. This car would be an excellent car if it would have been built better. Ford needs to be ashamed of itself for building such a good looking car and such a bad engine. No wonder American cars have fallen so far behind foreign cars.

Exceeds Expectations
By mppppm on 05/19/09 18:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used three years ago with 22,000 miles. Now has 96K + and I've had no problems at all. It averages 27 mpg highway. I haven't even done routine maintenance - just regular oil changes, a new battery and plugs ... and it keeps on going. I love this car!

2005 Taurus
By big_big_jon on 03/19/09 11:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I never really liked Fords but this Taurus is great the only way it could be better would be if it had the DOHC 24 valve. it get's great gas milage. I'm gettig about 26 mpg which is better than I expected out of it. I've had no major problems with it. I love the car.

Worth every penny
By Good to Go on 12/21/08 18:17 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought with 7k miles, it now has almost 130k and without any mechanical issues along the way. Car was a great buy for the money and has been very reliable to date. Fuel economy has been pretty good as well. Overall a well built vehicle that was thousands less than the competition.

Don't Buy Flex-Fuel Version
By desoto44 on 11/25/08 16:03 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this as a program car with 22,000 miles on it in October 2005. My biggest complaint is the poor mileage of the flex fuel version. I was very satisfied with a nearly identical (regular fuel only) 99 Taurus I owned. The 99 Taurus got about 20 city/ 26 highway MPG. This car struggles to get 20 MPG on the highway. I took it back to the dealer and the explanation was flex fuel cars are designed to run hotter and thus use more fuel. In short, there was nothing that could be done to improve the 20-25% drop in MPG. Other than that I like everything else about the car, but I would not have purchased this car had I known about the comparatively terrible MPG.

TTU Fan
By drc1 on 11/20/08 07:52 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have just traded for an '05 Taurus. First one I've had. Bought it used with 57,000 miles. Looks like all of the reviews are great. Looks like no one had any transmission problems. That always a concern when buying a used car. It rides great and getting 18mpg so far. Not too bad. Partly in town and out. Got a great trade in deal. Seems like the Taurus does have have a good trade in value. Bought it at the end of the month. Maybe that was the reason.

First Taurus
By First time owner on 09/01/08 05:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Transmission replaced at 26,000. New Ball joints at 30,000, brakes repaired twice, electrical problem with transmission, all repaired under warranty. Ford dealership that did the work was really good. If I buy a Ford again it will be because of the dealership. Car appears ok now, bought it used with 10,000 miles on it so it may have had rough use. Car is a little noisy on the highway, rear side visibility somewhat restricted. Car air and heat work good. Mileage about 27 to 30 on highway.

I was warned
By Gary on 08/02/08 06:05 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this used with 12000 miles and still under factory warranty. AC wasn't working, needed seal put in. Gas gauge started to flucuate between empty and full along with display message of fuel comp error. Took 4 trips to dealership to fix. Once when I was discussing with a customer his scan tool he had sent in for repair at my job I mentioned I tested his tool on my Taurus. He said, " your tranny and one motor mount will go bad". 6 months later tranny went out at 36200 miles. Ford dealership said it was a stripped pump shaft in torque converter. I get about 29-30 mpg highway with the 3.0L six, but just don't trust the car anymore, will probably trade it soon.