Used 2005 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Beware Ford Tauruses--Transmission issues!
By meh123

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus, currently in the shop with transmission out. I have also owned a 1996 Ford Taurus which had to have the transmission replaced twice. The 2005 also had a transmission issue that cost 1,000 to replace. I will have to buy a new car because this transmission will cost 4,400. I will never buy another automatic Ford again. Only plus is that it has a VERY sturdy build and is comfortable to drive.

Car lasted me long enough
By a24dude

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Ford Taurus in 2007 used with 60,000 (got a good deal on it). No issues within the first year of having the car then the bottom fell out. Every year for the last 3 years I have had to completely replace all 4 tires (and I rotated them at each oil change at 3,000). Have had to replace the brakes on the car twice in the time I have had it. Along with other regular repairs. Now a couple of days ago, the car will start jerking while accelerating up to around 40 - 45 MPH, and it will also jerk really bad while backing up. On top of all of that the car was horrible on gas mileage. I am really close to getting a new car, because it has 140,000 miles on it.

better than expected
By maaky

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The taurus really hasn't had a good name in quite some time.The 05 that i bought used in 05 has certainly changed my opinion of ford and the taurus.While it is not a flashy sporty ride by any means it has provided the reliability that I needed from a vehicle.Just rolled 90k 2 weeks ago without any failures.The only time it didn't start as back at 20k took it into ford they reprogramed it have had no problems since outside of basic maintenance.Averaging 25mpg per tank the ride is smooth (even at 80+),fairly quiet and accelerates smoothly as well. I must be lucky to have gotten one of the good ones off the line. Can't wait till the wife lets me get one of the new ones.

Pretty basic car no thrills to speak of really. I have a family of 4 and the kids and wife all sit comfortably during trips around town or out of town.

Interior doesn't have to be all cheap looking plastic does it? As comfortable as the seats are they don't need to be as firm as they are either.

2005 Taurus Transmission Nightmare
By sarany123

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car was great until this week! No issues at all, until going 70 mph on major highway and revved to 7,000rpms, lost all gears except park and neutral. No warning light, no noise. We could have been killed! Just paid $3,000 for new transmission on a car that just turned 65,000 miles. Called Ford to complain,they are sorry, but too bad! No powertrain warranty after 36,000 miles. No recalls on this year/model! Yet hundreds of complaints of same situation on internet. Ford does nothing! This is my first and last Ford!

Looks nice, rides nice. Always loud, little barrier to outside noise or regular engine noise.

A transmission that lasts longer than 65,000 miles! Powertrain warranty 100,000 miles minimum!

Paint literally dissolving off of hood!
By Paula Odom

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Within the last six months, the paint on my hood is literally dissolving away to bare metal. The vehicle drinks gas, the floor board leaks water into the car when it rains, the carpeting is terrible and the transmission is going out. This is probably the worse vehicle I have ever owned. I'll never buy another Ford again!