2005 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
It's Ok not the best
By bigjon85 on 04/08/10 16:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got my 2005 and it has been a great car I lover the driver information system it's a huge plus won't buy another car without it. It's not the fast car but it does ok and I figured out the Taurus gets 24mpg city 28.6 mpg at 70 mph (highway) at least mine does. I've been that car out of state and in state road trips it's a fantastic car just had a few minor problems with it that could have been avoid it's not an FFV and the ethanol clogged up my catalytic converter and it was under EPA warranty (8yr 80k miles) and had the block melt the cover of a spark plug wire great first car comfortable for me (6'1" 298 lbs) and 5 friends all bout 6'.

So far, so good
By annm78 on 03/18/10 07:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 34k miles on it 2.5 years ago. Now has 53k and have had no trouble with it so far. Keep hearing about transmission problems, but haven't had any. Hubby wonders if it has something to do with the fact that it takes 3 seconds to shift gears. I try to be really gentle on acceleration and make sure to wait before taking off when shifting out of park or neutral. Interior is roomy - lots of legroom in the front and back. Like the sunroof and the car itself is attractive. I average 20-22 mpg. 18 straight city and ~27 highway. We like the flex fuel option, but lose 25% fuel economy, so we don't use it.

Taurus Smooth Ride
By Corky on 01/25/10 14:41 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Taurus 2005 Se from a private sale at 76000 milage and so far I am loving it. Nice and roomy and large trunk, good AC, fair mileage for a V6. Hope this feeling lasts. Happy so far.

If you love your family DO NOT BUY
By Caligula's Ghost on 08/26/09 21:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Where do I start? First the A/C went out, then the original tires wore within the first year. I had to replace the battery twice. Alternator was replaced twice. Transmission went out at 40K. Air intake manifold needed to be replaced. Brakes wore earlier. Until the day I last had it there was an issue with the lights flickering (dealer said the alternator/battery were fine). The car made a terrible whirring noise. RPM gauge always fluctuated. I still have nightmares about that car. I spent 5K in one 6 month period to keep it running. Please STAY AWAY from this car!

this is a horrible car
By lou on 08/24/09 13:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

i bought this car in 2005 at time had 22,000 on it. At 61,000 the transmission went out on it to the cost of $2,000. The mpg is horrible. I got oil changed every 3,000 and took good care of this car. it is the worst thing i have ever owned.

Best used car I've ever owned
By photowiz on 07/30/09 21:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this 2005 Taurus SE as a one owner used car with 60,000 miles. It has been driven daily and now has 122,000 in less than 2 years. It performs beautifully and has yet to let me down. I'm getting average 27 mpg and approaches 30 on the highway!. I switched to full synthetic oil when I bought it and use injector cleaner gas additive regularly. Engine power band is smooth and low end torque is impressive for a 3.0 liter engine. I live in a fairly mountainous area and the only thing that annoys me is the drain in power when running the AC on hot days. Fuel mileage drops about 2.5 mpg, which is more than my other vehicles. All in all I'm going to drive the wheels of this one. Great car.

Nice car if had better engine and trans
By taurusowner30 on 07/09/09 08:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car was purchased with only 2- 3000 miles on it. At 1st it ran great with little to no problems. As soon as it hit the limit of the warranty then the problems started. 1st it was little things. Then the transmission went out. Now I am about to replace the transmission again for the 3rd time. This car would be an excellent car if it would have been built better. Ford needs to be ashamed of itself for building such a good looking car and such a bad engine. No wonder American cars have fallen so far behind foreign cars.

2005 Taurus
By big_big_jon on 03/19/09 11:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I never really liked Fords but this Taurus is great the only way it could be better would be if it had the DOHC 24 valve. it get's great gas milage. I'm gettig about 26 mpg which is better than I expected out of it. I've had no major problems with it. I love the car.

Worth every penny
By Good to Go on 12/21/08 18:17 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought with 7k miles, it now has almost 130k and without any mechanical issues along the way. Car was a great buy for the money and has been very reliable to date. Fuel economy has been pretty good as well. Overall a well built vehicle that was thousands less than the competition.

TTU Fan
By drc1 on 11/20/08 07:52 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have just traded for an '05 Taurus. First one I've had. Bought it used with 57,000 miles. Looks like all of the reviews are great. Looks like no one had any transmission problems. That always a concern when buying a used car. It rides great and getting 18mpg so far. Not too bad. Partly in town and out. Got a great trade in deal. Seems like the Taurus does have have a good trade in value. Bought it at the end of the month. Maybe that was the reason.