2005 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews 2

2005 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
better than expected
By maaky on 06/21/11 15:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The taurus really hasn't had a good name in quite some time.The 05 that i bought used in 05 has certainly changed my opinion of ford and the taurus.While it is not a flashy sporty ride by any means it has provided the reliability that I needed from a vehicle.Just rolled 90k 2 weeks ago without any failures.The only time it didn't start as back at 20k took it into ford they reprogramed it have had no problems since outside of basic maintenance.Averaging 25mpg per tank the ride is smooth (even at 80+),fairly quiet and accelerates smoothly as well. I must be lucky to have gotten one of the good ones off the line. Can't wait till the wife lets me get one of the new ones.

2005 Taurus Transmission Nightmare
By sarany123 on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car was great until this week! No issues at all, until going 70 mph on major highway and revved to 7,000rpms, lost all gears except park and neutral. No warning light, no noise. We could have been killed! Just paid $3,000 for new transmission on a car that just turned 65,000 miles. Called Ford to complain,they are sorry, but too bad! No powertrain warranty after 36,000 miles. No recalls on this year/model! Yet hundreds of complaints of same situation on internet. Ford does nothing! This is my first and last Ford!

Paint literally dissolving off of hood!
By Paula Odom on 08/01/10 20:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Within the last six months, the paint on my hood is literally dissolving away to bare metal. The vehicle drinks gas, the floor board leaks water into the car when it rains, the carpeting is terrible and the transmission is going out. This is probably the worse vehicle I have ever owned. I'll never buy another Ford again!

Good car
By Rick on 06/04/10 13:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have put 30,000 miles since buying it used. This is a well built car comfortable for 5. We get 29-30 mpg on the the road_21-22 in the city. No problems at all. However I wouldn't expect any with 47,000 miles. All in all am very satisfied

Still a Ford fan
By Jackie on 05/27/10 21:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Taurus in 2007 with about 40K miles on it. Gas mileage ranging from 15 mpg to 18 mpg. No anti-lock brakes. After about a year I started having problems with the throttle sticking, the car continues to accelerate after I remove my foot from the gas pedal. The pedal is not sticking. O2 sensors 1 and 4 went out and the car misfires and occasionally stalls when backing up, or during slow turning (like pulling into a parking spot). I was quoted about $400 to replace both o2 sensors, then another couple hundred to diagnose the other problems. Car is getting repo'd, I lost my job and cannot afford to fix the car.

I like my car taurus
By irfan on 04/17/10 15:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in August 2009 with 74,500 miles though it's damaged from one side and mechanical problems when i got this car, i just changed the battery and the wheels in winter. Nothing else. Now 86k. No problem at all. Never went to mechanic. Reliable in any weather conditions. Ac works perfectly.

It's Ok not the best
By bigjon85 on 04/08/10 16:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got my 2005 and it has been a great car I lover the driver information system it's a huge plus won't buy another car without it. It's not the fast car but it does ok and I figured out the Taurus gets 24mpg city 28.6 mpg at 70 mph (highway) at least mine does. I've been that car out of state and in state road trips it's a fantastic car just had a few minor problems with it that could have been avoid it's not an FFV and the ethanol clogged up my catalytic converter and it was under EPA warranty (8yr 80k miles) and had the block melt the cover of a spark plug wire great first car comfortable for me (6'1" 298 lbs) and 5 friends all bout 6'.

So far, so good
By annm78 on 03/18/10 07:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 34k miles on it 2.5 years ago. Now has 53k and have had no trouble with it so far. Keep hearing about transmission problems, but haven't had any. Hubby wonders if it has something to do with the fact that it takes 3 seconds to shift gears. I try to be really gentle on acceleration and make sure to wait before taking off when shifting out of park or neutral. Interior is roomy - lots of legroom in the front and back. Like the sunroof and the car itself is attractive. I average 20-22 mpg. 18 straight city and ~27 highway. We like the flex fuel option, but lose 25% fuel economy, so we don't use it.

Taurus Smooth Ride
By Corky on 01/25/10 14:41 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Taurus 2005 Se from a private sale at 76000 milage and so far I am loving it. Nice and roomy and large trunk, good AC, fair mileage for a V6. Hope this feeling lasts. Happy so far.

If you love your family DO NOT BUY
By Caligula's Ghost on 08/26/09 21:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Where do I start? First the A/C went out, then the original tires wore within the first year. I had to replace the battery twice. Alternator was replaced twice. Transmission went out at 40K. Air intake manifold needed to be replaced. Brakes wore earlier. Until the day I last had it there was an issue with the lights flickering (dealer said the alternator/battery were fine). The car made a terrible whirring noise. RPM gauge always fluctuated. I still have nightmares about that car. I spent 5K in one 6 month period to keep it running. Please STAY AWAY from this car!