Used 2005 Ford Taurus SEL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Beware Ford Tauruses--Transmission issues!
By meh123

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus, currently in the shop with transmission out. I have also owned a 1996 Ford Taurus which had to have the transmission replaced twice. The 2005 also had a transmission issue that cost 1,000 to replace. I will have to buy a new car because this transmission will cost 4,400. I will never buy another automatic Ford again. Only plus is that it has a VERY sturdy build and is comfortable to drive.

Good car
By Rick

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have put 30,000 miles since buying it used. This is a well built car comfortable for 5. We get 29-30 mpg on the the road_21-22 in the city. No problems at all. However I wouldn't expect any with 47,000 miles. All in all am very satisfied

Favorite Features

Comfort, Plenty of power and good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

none

Exceeds Expectations
By mppppm

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used three years ago with 22,000 miles. Now has 96K + and I've had no problems at all. It averages 27 mpg highway. I haven't even done routine maintenance - just regular oil changes, a new battery and plugs ... and it keeps on going. I love this car!

Favorite Features

Reliability. Stable in all kinds of weather. Comfortable seating front and back.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe less wind noise. Sound system could be better.

Don't Buy Flex-Fuel Version
By desoto44

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this as a program car with 22,000 miles on it in October 2005. My biggest complaint is the poor mileage of the flex fuel version. I was very satisfied with a nearly identical (regular fuel only) 99 Taurus I owned. The 99 Taurus got about 20 city/ 26 highway MPG. This car struggles to get 20 MPG on the highway. I took it back to the dealer and the explanation was flex fuel cars are designed to run hotter and thus use more fuel. In short, there was nothing that could be done to improve the 20-25% drop in MPG. Other than that I like everything else about the car, but I would not have purchased this car had I known about the comparatively terrible MPG.

Favorite Features

Styling, interior room, reliability, quality.

Suggested Improvements

Poor mileage. Ride could be a little smoother.

Disappointed With MPG
By desoto44

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this SEL model in October 2005 with 22,000 miles on it. I am very happy with the quality and styling of this car, but am extremely disappointed with the MPG and ride. I have an identical 99 Taurus that gets 25 MPG city/highway. The 05 struggles to get 20 MPG. The dealer told me the lower mileage was due to the fact this is a "Flex-Fuel" model, burns hotter, and nothing could be done to improve it. So buyer beware of Flex-Fuel models. Also the handling is great but you feel every bump. If I purchase another Taurus it will definitely not be a flex-fuel version.

Favorite Features

Quality has come a long way. Great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Warn customers that flex-fuel versions result in lower MPG. Smooth out ride when it comes to rough roads/bumps.