2005 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Beware Ford Tauruses--Transmission issues!
By meh123 on 01/17/12 18:47 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus, currently in the shop with transmission out. I have also owned a 1996 Ford Taurus which had to have the transmission replaced twice. The 2005 also had a transmission issue that cost 1,000 to replace. I will have to buy a new car because this transmission will cost 4,400. I will never buy another automatic Ford again. Only plus is that it has a VERY sturdy build and is comfortable to drive.

Good car
By Rick on 06/04/10 13:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have put 30,000 miles since buying it used. This is a well built car comfortable for 5. We get 29-30 mpg on the the road_21-22 in the city. No problems at all. However I wouldn't expect any with 47,000 miles. All in all am very satisfied

Exceeds Expectations
By mppppm on 05/19/09 18:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used three years ago with 22,000 miles. Now has 96K + and I've had no problems at all. It averages 27 mpg highway. I haven't even done routine maintenance - just regular oil changes, a new battery and plugs ... and it keeps on going. I love this car!

Don't Buy Flex-Fuel Version
By desoto44 on 11/25/08 16:03 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this as a program car with 22,000 miles on it in October 2005. My biggest complaint is the poor mileage of the flex fuel version. I was very satisfied with a nearly identical (regular fuel only) 99 Taurus I owned. The 99 Taurus got about 20 city/ 26 highway MPG. This car struggles to get 20 MPG on the highway. I took it back to the dealer and the explanation was flex fuel cars are designed to run hotter and thus use more fuel. In short, there was nothing that could be done to improve the 20-25% drop in MPG. Other than that I like everything else about the car, but I would not have purchased this car had I known about the comparatively terrible MPG.

Disappointed With MPG
By desoto44 on 07/04/08 08:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this SEL model in October 2005 with 22,000 miles on it. I am very happy with the quality and styling of this car, but am extremely disappointed with the MPG and ride. I have an identical 99 Taurus that gets 25 MPG city/highway. The 05 struggles to get 20 MPG. The dealer told me the lower mileage was due to the fact this is a "Flex-Fuel" model, burns hotter, and nothing could be done to improve it. So buyer beware of Flex-Fuel models. Also the handling is great but you feel every bump. If I purchase another Taurus it will definitely not be a flex-fuel version.

Can't beat the value
By DJ on 06/22/08 19:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Comfy (leather & power) seats, really smooth ride, quiet and good overall handling. Good ABS brakes and fwd is great in snow. Great hwy mpg at 27-29 with a/c going and going 75 mph! I bought this car because I had a 2001 Taurus I liked - person who bought it still drives it daily to work, no problems. I bought the 2005 SEL used for $13k with only 23k miles and only 2 yrs old. Much better deal than any Honda or Toyota, and it will cost me less overall, and not rattle like those foreign cars when it has 100k + miles on it. Great quality and value in this car! I like that its a sleeper - no cops. Old, middle aged or young, rich or poor, people can all drive this car and look OK doing so.

Solid
By Nicol on 04/03/08 07:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 112000 km's, so far excellent. Quiet and powerful on highway. Paid $7300. Fuel economy 9L/100k city and 10L/highway. Very happy so far.

Typical Ford family sedan
By spidermann59 on 01/19/08 10:26 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car reminds me of the family cars I grew up with. The all around everyday, and the two week summer vacation crusier. Room for everybody and everything. The power is there when you need. Handles well. Brakes well. Excellent value. Easy maintainence.

Nice car for the money
By Bill on 04/26/06 12:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Traded in the minivan for a sedan, mainly to improve gas mileage. We were averaging about 20 mpg with van, and about 21.5 on the Taurus after about a week; not a whole lot better, but at least it's not worse. The interior of the Taurus is nice with two-tone leather and a moon roof, definitely nice extras - makes losing the extra space in the van a little easier to take. Really like the vehicle so far - smooth ride, good acceleration, and good brakes. It has the Flex Fuel engine, but there's only one station in my area with e85 fuel, and they charge the same as regular unleaded, so that wasn't necessarily a selling point for me. Would recommend purchase of this vehicle.

Impressive for the price
By Pat on 03/10/06 00:57 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very roomy, comfortable, solid, quiet ride. Hides the bumps very well and has a sporty exterior look. Handles much better than the reviews I've read. I'm impressed with all the features for the money.