Used 2005 Ford Taurus SEL Sedan Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Piece of Crap
By Tigerman19

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! Long story short.......this car has major transmission issues that FORD knows about but is too cheap to recall and fix. This started with the torque converter being sheered off at 60,000 miles and the total bill with the tow costing me right at $1,200. Then, only 14 months later, the transmission is now shot again. The cylinder clutch drum s going out and the transmission shop in town wants somewhere between $3,500 to $4,500 to completely rebuild the transmission. They will do a patch on it but won't guarantee how long that will last for only the low price of $1,500. When I purchased this car the vehicle had 46,000 miles on it. The car now only has 76,000 miles on it but is basically useless to drive as you can only get to 20 MPH before it kicks out of gear.

I have been a lifetime Ford owner starting with the 1975 Maverick that I bought when I was in high school. I have owned also a 1988 Thunderbird which I loved and then a 1997 Expedition which was a very good vehicle. Besides the Taurus I have a 01 Expedition that I upgraded too after the 97 Expedition. I have had my share of headaches with the 01 Expedition as well. I am truly disappointed in FORD for their refusal to acknowledge they have a major flaw in the transmission of the Taurus for models around 2005.

I have been a lifetime FORD advocate but not anymore. I will never buy another FORD again and hope that if you read this review that you think twice before buying a FORD and especially the Taurus.

Beware Ford Tauruses--Transmission issues!
By meh123

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus, currently in the shop with transmission out. I have also owned a 1996 Ford Taurus which had to have the transmission replaced twice. The 2005 also had a transmission issue that cost 1,000 to replace. I will have to buy a new car because this transmission will cost 4,400. I will never buy another automatic Ford again. Only plus is that it has a VERY sturdy build and is comfortable to drive.

Good car
By Rick

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have put 30,000 miles since buying it used. This is a well built car comfortable for 5. We get 29-30 mpg on the the road_21-22 in the city. No problems at all. However I wouldn't expect any with 47,000 miles. All in all am very satisfied

Comfort, Plenty of power and good gas mileage.

none

Exceeds Expectations
By mppppm

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used three years ago with 22,000 miles. Now has 96K + and I've had no problems at all. It averages 27 mpg highway. I haven't even done routine maintenance - just regular oil changes, a new battery and plugs ... and it keeps on going. I love this car!

Reliability. Stable in all kinds of weather. Comfortable seating front and back.

Maybe less wind noise. Sound system could be better.

Don't Buy Flex-Fuel Version
By desoto44

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this as a program car with 22,000 miles on it in October 2005. My biggest complaint is the poor mileage of the flex fuel version. I was very satisfied with a nearly identical (regular fuel only) 99 Taurus I owned. The 99 Taurus got about 20 city/ 26 highway MPG. This car struggles to get 20 MPG on the highway. I took it back to the dealer and the explanation was flex fuel cars are designed to run hotter and thus use more fuel. In short, there was nothing that could be done to improve the 20-25% drop in MPG. Other than that I like everything else about the car, but I would not have purchased this car had I known about the comparatively terrible MPG.

Styling, interior room, reliability, quality.

Poor mileage. Ride could be a little smoother.