Used 2005 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Piece of Crap
By Tigerman19

2005 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! Long story short.......this car has major transmission issues that FORD knows about but is too cheap to recall and fix. This started with the torque converter being sheered off at 60,000 miles and the total bill with the tow costing me right at $1,200. Then, only 14 months later, the transmission is now shot again. The cylinder clutch drum s going out and the transmission shop in town wants somewhere between $3,500 to $4,500 to completely rebuild the transmission. They will do a patch on it but won't guarantee how long that will last for only the low price of $1,500. When I purchased this car the vehicle had 46,000 miles on it. The car now only has 76,000 miles on it but is basically useless to drive as you can only get to 20 MPH before it kicks out of gear.

I have been a lifetime Ford owner starting with the 1975 Maverick that I bought when I was in high school. I have owned also a 1988 Thunderbird which I loved and then a 1997 Expedition which was a very good vehicle. Besides the Taurus I have a 01 Expedition that I upgraded too after the 97 Expedition. I have had my share of headaches with the 01 Expedition as well. I am truly disappointed in FORD for their refusal to acknowledge they have a major flaw in the transmission of the Taurus for models around 2005.

I have been a lifetime FORD advocate but not anymore. I will never buy another FORD again and hope that if you read this review that you think twice before buying a FORD and especially the Taurus.

Love my Taurus
By Steve Book

2005 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Solid Car - its a tank in the snow, and for a 3.0L engine, has lots of low end power.

Ok in the city gave me money's worth.
By bob

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

1990 to 1996 had transmission problems and Ford paid out generously to repair. After improving design they decided in mid 2000's to use the old style transmission and they went out again, but Ford refuses to repair past 36000. That cost me 2000.00. The rack and pinion steering handles well on the road and at high speeds. I've gotten 185000 out of vehicle. The accelerator pedal sticks when starting out from a stop. If you expect it just pump the pedal and that unsticks it.
The catylictic convertor is bad and their design requires 3 converters be replaced at cost of 3500.00(happened at 150,000). I didnt replace instead use mystery oil in the gas tank eliminates any performance problems(8 oz per week)

The Eccelerator petal gets stuck deadly
By Terri Smalls

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Do you research on your own. This model has a record of the eccelerator petal getting stuck. Over 3 million reports. It happened to me and I had to call 911 while I was driving!! They refuse to recall until a certain number of fatalities. I am still paying for the car and can't drive it. This is a nightmare. I don't wish this on anyone!! Do your research!!

Very disappointed.
By mercede

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've recently bought my first car, "Ford Taurus 05" my father had the same car for 5 years and it was such a reliable car we traveled a lot with it with over 40000 km on it never left us on the road. so I thought Id buy the same one so I did less then 4 months of owning this car its been nothing but hell. left me on the highway had to buy a new manifold for it witch cost me $1000 Canadian, I took it to the mechanic and they told me the car was fired hazard. I got that fixed but month after my car wont turn on nothing but a waste of money this car has been for me as a student and a full time this is not a car to save for. only thing is good on it is the BODY!