Used 2004 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Good 4 the price?
By Robert

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Good for the price. Good gas mileage for its size. Great room around trunk, in front and back seats. I get an odd rattle/humming from under the hood. Cons: hard seat for traveling, poor expected resale value; doesn't ride, handle or stop as well as top competitors, and a few times acted like it stalled when quickly accelerated.

The on board PC (i.e. systems check). Good stereo ... it does have a clean look though.

Hope they improve the new 2006's after all of our comments even though Taurus is discontinued!

A really nice car
By Michael

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I found an '04 Taurus SES loaded with sunroof, leather, cd changer and with the Duratec engine.It had 30K miles on it. So far I really like the car. I like the acceleration, the comfort and the looks. So I guess if you're looking for a good car for not much money, this would be a good choice. I would definitely try to find one with the Duratec engine. Ford stopped offering that after '04. So far no problems with it and I'm getting 21 MPG in city driving.

Feels very solid and safe. Very comfortable ride.

Well, they're not making them anymore but for the life of me why did they quit offering the Duratec. It was definitely a better engine.

Disappointed
By Dave

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I traded in our Chevy minivan to buy a new Taurus because we have a family, and wanted a car to get better fuel economy. What a big mistake! From day one this car has gotten the worst fuel mileage of anything I have ever owned. The stated fuel mileage is suppose to be 26mpg highway, HA what a joke, we're lucky to get 19mpg. We don't drive fast (55 to 65), and the dealer said the car is fine. Our minivan (Chevy Astro) got 23mpg on the highway steadily, even though is was 1500lbs heavier and had a bigger engine, and my 4 x 4 Dodge with 95,000 miles gets 20mpg! I wish I had never bought this piece of junk.

I don't have to put gas in it, my wife does!

Better gas mileage!

Not a Mustang but ...
By Mike

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus has performed flawlessly for 2 years. I put Toyo Observe Ice/Snow tires on in the winter and she goes where I point the hood. I average 23 mpg. While the design architecture is dated, but it still creates an easy on the eyes profile. The stereo could stand a few tweaks but is more than commute adequate. Front wheel drive wander is noticeable, but slight. The ride is smooth, very quiet, and at the edge of luxurious. It's a shame they were the rental fleets #1 choice for so many years. That coupled with the "you pay what we pay" incentives of this past summer/fall drives down trade in value. All in all I enjoy my Taurus. I will trade it in on a new Ford 500 in 2 more years.

Comfort, visibility, love those entry lamps. Trunk space.

Mute point. Production is over.

Problems of the Week
By Cliff C.

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this as a "certified" pre-owned in March. Everything was great for the 1st month. Then one little problem after another every week or two. So far the catalytic converter, motor mounts, exhaust manifold and y-pipe have been replaced. I still get an odd rattle from under the hood. The only thing that is certifiable now is me not buying another Ford!

System information readout. Trunk space and interior room.

I believe that they quit making this car so, they can't improve upon that.