Used 2004 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Troubled Taurus
By Big_Guy_Green

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The week after my girlfriend bought this car with 43000mi on it, she took it on a trip from central MN to Colorado. They encountered problems the entire way! It stalled 3 times in the mountains, twice needing to be jumped, and once more when they got back in MN. 5 trips to the dealer and 3 batteries later, we thought it was fixed. Now whenever the temp gets above 65 it will sputter at idle and accelerate like tortuise for the first 150 feet. Also, we started learning why this car is called "disposable" when parts started falling off and breaking in the interior. Not to mention the annoying heat shield rattle and fuel cap sensor! At least it gets 28mpg avg. We'll get a Malibu next time.

Favorite Features

Simple, no nonsense controls for everything. Took about 5 minutes to learn where everything was for radio, cruise control, lights, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the tried and true inline 6- cylinder! I'll never give mine up! P.S. to Ford, I said 'tried and true', not 'well maybe we'll change this instead', Ford part interchangability stinks

Drive it until it dies
By Scottj04

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car. Economical, roomy and wonderful highway feel. Bought it in 2006 with 18K miles and have had little problems. Mostly highway driving (60 mile rural commute) I average 390 - 420 miles on a tank. Twice got 455 miles with still 18 Miles to E! The duratec engine is a fuel-sipping work horse. Highway performance is adequate, and even with four people and luggage (that all fit comfortably), the car still gets wonderful gas mileage! City mileage has gotten horrid. 1 week of it showed about 250 miles to a tank. and transmission seems to be slipping slighty at only 57K. A/C also robs engine performance. Staying with regular maintanence, this car will last forever!

Favorite Features

Display for miles to empty and MPG. 6 disc changer. Gas mileage. Plenty of room. Can fit my two brothers and father in there and I'm the shortest at 6'1

Suggested Improvements

Wish I had the folding rear seats. Better stereo... four speakers a little inadequate. A/C drain on the engine. Auto headlamps would be wonderful

Just Right
By Iceobar

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ford finally had it together for me. Just the right size and accruments. Comfort and style for 4. Utility to carry 6 in a pinch. And when we added a K & N air filter, synthetic oil and tires at 37 psi, 37 mpg on the highway loaded with 4 and full bags. Too bad they let it slip away.

Favorite Features

Room, ergonomcs, leather 6 seat setup is perfect for 4 with center armrests for all. Sunroof also allows running with no AC in relatively warm conditions, helping the gas mileage. Roomy trunk and 60/40 incresases the versatility. Good sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Even better fuel efficiency. Had our 1st Taurus in '88, no increase gas milage in 20+ years. Engineers, or Ford, went into hibernation after '86. Need higher quality AC units and rads, though this '04 has yet to give any problems. Both our '88 and '95 models had to have them replaced.

2004 Ford Taurus SE
By David

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I put a considerable amount of miles on this car each year; mostly highway. Car has averaged 20mpg. For the most part the Taurus has been reliable, but soon after I passed 60,000 miles (warranty expire) I started to have nagging issues. I performed the regular maintenance, but mechanical elements still broke down (i.e. transmission, alternator, etc.)

Favorite Features

I like the size of a full-size car with a relatively low sticker price.

Suggested Improvements

You would think Ford would've identified all the bugs in the Taurus since it has been on the market for years. Seats wore down quickly, very noisy, tires did not last long, cannot use sun visor without blocking the entire windshield.

Wanna Trade?
By Wanna trade?

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle for a little over a year now - my Gma bought it new and passed away, so I got it - and I have had to put tons of $ into it. I expected some, but not nearly the expense I've had. I get ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE gas mileage. 13/14 mpg at most... 15 if I want to spend the $50+ for 93 octane gas, but it's obviously not worth it.

Favorite Features

It fits us all.

Suggested Improvements

MUCH NEEDED gas mileage improvement!!!