2004 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews 5

2004 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
A really nice car
By Michael on 02/19/06 22:33 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I found an '04 Taurus SES loaded with sunroof, leather, cd changer and with the Duratec engine.It had 30K miles on it. So far I really like the car. I like the acceleration, the comfort and the looks. So I guess if you're looking for a good car for not much money, this would be a good choice. I would definitely try to find one with the Duratec engine. Ford stopped offering that after '04. So far no problems with it and I'm getting 21 MPG in city driving.

Disappointed
By Dave on 02/08/06 22:48 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I traded in our Chevy minivan to buy a new Taurus because we have a family, and wanted a car to get better fuel economy. What a big mistake! From day one this car has gotten the worst fuel mileage of anything I have ever owned. The stated fuel mileage is suppose to be 26mpg highway, HA what a joke, we're lucky to get 19mpg. We don't drive fast (55 to 65), and the dealer said the car is fine. Our minivan (Chevy Astro) got 23mpg on the highway steadily, even though is was 1500lbs heavier and had a bigger engine, and my 4 x 4 Dodge with 95,000 miles gets 20mpg! I wish I had never bought this piece of junk.

Not a Mustang but ...
By Mike on 12/14/05 21:01 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus has performed flawlessly for 2 years. I put Toyo Observe Ice/Snow tires on in the winter and she goes where I point the hood. I average 23 mpg. While the design architecture is dated, but it still creates an easy on the eyes profile. The stereo could stand a few tweaks but is more than commute adequate. Front wheel drive wander is noticeable, but slight. The ride is smooth, very quiet, and at the edge of luxurious. It's a shame they were the rental fleets #1 choice for so many years. That coupled with the "you pay what we pay" incentives of this past summer/fall drives down trade in value. All in all I enjoy my Taurus. I will trade it in on a new Ford 500 in 2 more years.

Problems of the Week
By Cliff C. on 11/17/05 12:23 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this as a "certified" pre-owned in March. Everything was great for the 1st month. Then one little problem after another every week or two. So far the catalytic converter, motor mounts, exhaust manifold and y-pipe have been replaced. I still get an odd rattle from under the hood. The only thing that is certifiable now is me not buying another Ford!

I love my car
By Joy Browning on 11/10/05 02:31 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The day i went to the dealership, I wanted a little Escort. I was at that time very much overweight and I was having a hard time getting out of the car. I was walking into the showroom to purchase the little car, when I spotted this beautiful car with the color of green. I call it silver-green. I test drove it, but I already knew I would buy the car. And I love it.

One super wagon
By John Schroeder on 10/11/05 16:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this certified program car 10 months after manufacture with 8,750 miles for $7,300 less than the Ford dealer paid for it. After 4,600 miles & 3 trips it has run perfectly with not even one little defect & no rattles. It averages about 20 mpg overall even with the super AC & a lot of idling. Very practical for me with all that cargo space, roof rack & 5 cup holders! I see nothing on the road I would trade it for, even though the basic design dates back to the 1996 model year. They sure got it perfected for 2004, & it's a shame it's being discontinued. May be a classic like the 1971 Torino wagon I bought in 1981 & sold for 33% more to buy this one. However,the Torino had a larger 4'x8' cargo space.

The Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Helmey on 10/09/05 04:47 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my '98 Taurus SE for a 2004 SEL and I love this car just as much. With leather seats, the interior feels like a luxury car and the drive is excellent with the Duratec V6. The SEL includes a lot of extras that are truly useful and make the car a pleasure to drive for long distances. The V6 Camry is a more refined car, but without the bells and whistles. The Ford is a fun car to own and a really great value.

New Used Car
By Brian on 08/01/05 13:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very happy with this car. It was a program car and I got a good deal on it. I am a bit disappointed in the fuel economy. I'm getting about 23 MPG at the best on the highway and about 18 in town ... not much better than my truck.

Taurus is the best
By ranger on 07/03/05 20:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SEL Taurus with 16000 miles on it and we love this vehicle so much we just purchased another 2004 SES Taurus for my wife. Vehicle drives like a dream and good mpg at average of 25 city and highway driving. It drives and rides as good as the Grand Marquis we use to have. I have the 24 valve Duratec on the SEL and the 12 valve standard engine on the SES. We like both vehicles very much and enjoy trips much more.

Great car, but I miss my Focus
By Map Girl on 07/02/05 08:15 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought my SEL wagon used and got a very good deal. It only had 9,000 miles. I sell maps for a living so I needed a car with a little more payload. I looked at many SUV styles but surprisingly many had no more carrying capacity than my Focus wagon. The ones that did were more like trucks and high to climb in and out of all day. Safety was another concern as I drive about 700 miles a week. I'm bound to get hit some day! And I need a safe car. All in all this is a very sensible vehicle for anyone who travels for their work and/or carries heavy loads. But I sure miss Zippy (my Focus). It was much more fun to drive!