2004 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
204 SES
By Joe on 09/27/07 18:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have had two 2004 SES's. We owned the first one for 5 weeks before we were hit in the rearended by someone doing 50+ MPH and we were stopped. The car saved our life. I think the safety of the Taurus is fantastic. We have had the second one for 3 years. The Duratec engine if fantastic. Wonderful road car, very reliable. Still has original brakes at 80,000 miles, replaced tires at 55,000. No problems with it. 20MPG in town, 25MPG on hwy. We love this car!

Need part time job for gas
By Craig on 03/10/07 05:24 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nice mid-sized vehicle, very comfortable, smooth ride. But forget the gas savings,13-14 in the city and mine only has 15000 miles on it. Replaced my 454 4 barrel 88 Suburban with this, what a mistake - got 12 miles to the gallon with that driving in the city. Forget the resale value, was $6000.00 in the hole. Maybe they'll wise up and come up with more economical engine with new 08!

2004 Taurus
By Joe on 02/13/07 20:25 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great road car and the 24V engine has great performance with good gas mileage. We love to travel in this car. You can be in the seats all day and not have your back hurt.

2003 Taurus Wagon SE
By ken on 12/12/06 20:06 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2003 Taurus wagon SE used from a dealer in NC. It was originally a rental with 6000 miles on the OD. It has performed very well and has required no more maintenance than that required at regular service intervals. It handles well, and has good acceleration. Plenty of room in the cargo area. The only two bad things to say is, 1) the panel material above the rear door arm rests has come loose and required repair, and 2) the luggage rack bumpers on the roof all have a small separation crack of approximately 1/8 inch, about mid-length on each one. It gets good gas mileage and is fairly comfortable on long trips. It is a very reliable vehicle and great for a family of four.

Buyer Beware
By Connie on 08/15/06 18:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with 34,000 miles. Car was making small rattle noise with engine, dealership said was normal for this car. I trusted them & didn't buy extended warranty (bad experience in past). Thought it would last many miles before any problems. Two months later at 38,000 miles the transmission went out; stayed in shop for over a month and cost $2600.00 to rebuild. So if you hear noise check it out, don't trust dealership.

04 Taurus
By avenge69 on 07/04/06 12:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First off, this is our 3rd Taurus. All 3 have had no problems at all. You cannot beat this car for the money, reliability, features, safety, and comfort. This is a well made and safe car. Even after 2, we had tested out a new Camry and Altima. Once in the Taurus again it was just a better fit with a less "tinny" feel overall. Just being hit in this car down the whole driver's side without a scratch makes you appreciate the safety and the way the car held up. People can say what they want but this is a very good looking American car you can trust. We are on our 3rd for a reason. I guess the next car will be a Fusion or a Five Hundred.

Taurus troubles
By rcb on 06/10/06 10:20 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Sorry I tried to save a few thousand by buying an American car. After 20 months and 37,000 miles I am faced with replacing the a/c compressor which was used for 1 season only! The cost $750.00+. Very poor quality overall .

Worth every 'used penny'
By Predrex on 05/27/06 13:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great low priced, family or individual vehicle. I have found it to be a GREAT rush hour vehicle as well as a very nice open road vehicle. It could use more power in the powertrain area but it's satisfactory unless you're just looking for a performance sedan. I feel that it is far under rated. However, with the Fusion and new 500 series its days are probably numbered. With the added safety package you just simply cannot find a better car in the same class. Opt for the upgraded interior package (leather, command center, etc) and you will be more than happy with the choice. The ride of the vehicle can easily be compared to the higher priced (or class) of family sedans.

Another good Taurus
By Shannon on 05/01/06 11:06 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I owned a Taurus a long time ago that I really liked (SHO). I have had many cars in between. I decided to go back to a Taurus for my 45 minutes each way/daily commute. I was looking for a comfortable ride, decent gas mileage, good stereo, nice looking, and of course - a sunroof. The Taurus definitely fits. I enjoy driving it each day. Fuel economy could be a bit better, but considering the engine size and car design, it's not bad.

Good 4 the price?
By Robert on 03/07/06 00:14 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Good for the price. Good gas mileage for its size. Great room around trunk, in front and back seats. I get an odd rattle/humming from under the hood. Cons: hard seat for traveling, poor expected resale value; doesn't ride, handle or stop as well as top competitors, and a few times acted like it stalled when quickly accelerated.