Used 2004 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Loyal Ford Customer
By wendy harbach

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have only owned fords all of my life so when I was looking for a mid size car I fell in love with the taurus. I had it for about 3 weeks when the air conditioning unit went out. Then the breaks and finally the alternator. The vehicle only had 36000 when I purchased it. Since those wonderful days things have only gotten worse. Now the car dies for no reason as I drive it. The breaks have been replace 3 times and The air conditioner doesn't work again. This car has really let me down. I don't think I will ever own another taurus. Just watch it this model seems to have alot of problems. When the repair man saw me coming in he laughed and said whats wrong with this one. Not good!!!!

Favorite Features

Love the size and the way it handles. The gas mileage is good.

Suggested Improvements

The Quality

Reliable car
By Nicos

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Taurus new for $17,000 out the door. I put 120,000 miles on it by the time I sold it in Feb 2009. The car was great, comfortable and had good accelaration at higher sppeds. The only problem I had after the warranty expired was I had to replace the bushing between the transmission and engine. Otherwise it was 100% reliable.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, great looks at a low price.

Suggested Improvements

The car was fine, the only drawback is the low resale value.

Great for long drives
By Pat

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Taurus because it was a reliable used car. It is a good car so far. The longer I own it the more I like it. It is a big comfortable car with very good gas mileage. I get 29 mpg on the highway and have never got less than 22 mpg. Last winter I had a problem with water leaking into the passenger floor. It turned out to be shoddy workmanship from the factory. This is a good car but Ford needs to keep improving on reliability. They are catching up with the Japanese and I think they can surpass them if they choose to do so.

Favorite Features

It is beg roomy and comfortable and economical.

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality and even more reliable,

My Third Taurus
By kimbah

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my third Taurus for just shy of 5 years and I love it. Bought it brand new. I have 80,000 miles on it and have only replaced tires at 60k miles; no other repairs. Still has original brakes which I consistently have checked and they're still good. Now that's amazing!

Favorite Features

This car is extremely reliable and I highly recommend it. My previous Taurus had an issue with the heating core which was a costly repair, but this one is still going strong. Love the restyling of the 2010 model and will probably invest in another one.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could use improvement. I get less than 20 miles to the gallon and do mostly highway driving.

A very good car
By Doug

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new. Currently have 175,000 miles and have had no problems. Replaced the tires and battery. I have not even needed brakes. 29mpg on the highway. I hope I can drive this car 400K.