Used 2004 Ford Taurus Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Taurus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

One super wagon
By John Schroeder

2004 Ford Taurus Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this certified program car 10 months after manufacture with 8,750 miles for $7,300 less than the Ford dealer paid for it. After 4,600 miles & 3 trips it has run perfectly with not even one little defect & no rattles. It averages about 20 mpg overall even with the super AC & a lot of idling. Very practical for me with all that cargo space, roof rack & 5 cup holders! I see nothing on the road I would trade it for, even though the basic design dates back to the 1996 model year. They sure got it perfected for 2004, & it's a shame it's being discontinued. May be a classic like the 1971 Torino wagon I bought in 1981 & sold for 33% more to buy this one. However,the Torino had a larger 4'x8' cargo space.

5 cup holders, 2-12v outlets, great lighting in & out, great dash display.

Miss not having a keyhole on the passenger side. Need a glove compartment light. I am putting one in myself! Keep building it!

Great car, but I miss my Focus
By Map Girl

2004 Ford Taurus Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought my SEL wagon used and got a very good deal. It only had 9,000 miles. I sell maps for a living so I needed a car with a little more payload. I looked at many SUV styles but surprisingly many had no more carrying capacity than my Focus wagon. The ones that did were more like trucks and high to climb in and out of all day. Safety was another concern as I drive about 700 miles a week. I'm bound to get hit some day! And I need a safe car. All in all this is a very sensible vehicle for anyone who travels for their work and/or carries heavy loads. But I sure miss Zippy (my Focus). It was much more fun to drive!

Mach sound system, engine power, leather seats.

More storage pockets in front like the Focus. Radio that plays with the key out at the press of the on/off button like the Focus.

SE Wagon, GREAT work and family car!
By Oscar

2004 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This SE wagon has the Duratec engine and is very strong. It has several upgrades, such as power seat, pedals, windows, CD, etc. It has been both a work and family vehicle, and I have been most impressed with it. It has plenty of power, room, and I can haul anything and everything in it or on top of it. (roof racks). I travel MUCH with my job and have placed 65K miles on this in 1.5 yrs. NO SERVICE PROBLEMS! It is comfortable considering that I ride up to 5-6 hours at a time. Style is a little "basic", but certainly fine. The only negative that I see is depreciation. Value drops FAST from NEW status. Excellent used car buy. I have had several "used" and for the money, they cannot be beat.

210 HP Duratec engine. Not your "fathers" station wagon! This pup will run!

2004 did not come standard with the 3rd row seat, as did the earlier models. The 3rd seat should have been standard. Why have a wagon and not have the extra seat? I purchased the seat and added it myself.

Taurus Wagon
By Garret-1008

2004 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Traded in a 1990 Towncar that was used for fishing and around town, needed something that would carry all the gear. The Tuarus Wagon fits the bill perfectly.Also the wife likes the adjustable pedals, and the grandkids love the 3rd seat.Had one problem, a bad fuel injector which was replaced by the dealer and is now running good.A fun car to drive, but a little rough over some road bumps.

Cargo space, easy in and out due to low seating, for older persons, SUV's are to high to climb up into. This wagon fits a special nitch. Hope ford does not stop making it, as planed. Adjustable pedals, 3rd row seats

None.....except maybe a little smoother ride.

Taurus SEL Wagon
By neilwoida

2004 Ford Taurus Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

24 Valve V6 has plenty of power. SEL has upgraded interior - qulity and comfort are very good. Is affected by crosswinds more than even my minivan. Does not handle as well - tuned for soft highway ride. Overall, a solid value - but the time has come for an updated chassis.

The 24 Engine is terrific. Adjustable brake and accelerator pedals, along with power seat and tilt steering equals a very comfortable seeating position. I founf the interior materials equal to most mainstream sedans.

Ford will introduce the 500, based on a Volvo chassis platform, which should be a huge improvement to handling. The Taurus is not a good handling vehicle.