2004 Ford Taurus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
One super wagon
By John Schroeder on 10/11/05 16:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this certified program car 10 months after manufacture with 8,750 miles for $7,300 less than the Ford dealer paid for it. After 4,600 miles & 3 trips it has run perfectly with not even one little defect & no rattles. It averages about 20 mpg overall even with the super AC & a lot of idling. Very practical for me with all that cargo space, roof rack & 5 cup holders! I see nothing on the road I would trade it for, even though the basic design dates back to the 1996 model year. They sure got it perfected for 2004, & it's a shame it's being discontinued. May be a classic like the 1971 Torino wagon I bought in 1981 & sold for 33% more to buy this one. However,the Torino had a larger 4'x8' cargo space.

Great car, but I miss my Focus
By Map Girl on 07/02/05 08:15 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought my SEL wagon used and got a very good deal. It only had 9,000 miles. I sell maps for a living so I needed a car with a little more payload. I looked at many SUV styles but surprisingly many had no more carrying capacity than my Focus wagon. The ones that did were more like trucks and high to climb in and out of all day. Safety was another concern as I drive about 700 miles a week. I'm bound to get hit some day! And I need a safe car. All in all this is a very sensible vehicle for anyone who travels for their work and/or carries heavy loads. But I sure miss Zippy (my Focus). It was much more fun to drive!

Taurus SEL Wagon
By neilwoida on 05/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

24 Valve V6 has plenty of power. SEL has upgraded interior - qulity and comfort are very good. Is affected by crosswinds more than even my minivan. Does not handle as well - tuned for soft highway ride. Overall, a solid value - but the time has come for an updated chassis.

My Tarus
By Tarus guy on 04/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed the car very much but have not been so happy with the service department of the dealership. They seem shoddy at best and not professional. Simple things like checking oil are reported as being done when they are not, driving the car through their car wash without taking the power antenna down. Love the car, could use a more professional dealer. But i must say i have as much room in my wagon as any SUV and i get 32 miles to the gallon on highways

Taurus Wag
By T.H. on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I chose the Taurus wagon over a van due to economy reasons. We needed a little larger vehicle for luggage and passenger purpose when our grandchildren are with us. The wagon with the 3rd rear seat works great! If needed, we have more luggage space inside than a normal trunk or can put it on the roof rack. We are very, very satisfied with the Taurus and are getting about 26-30 mpg highway miles and average of 22 combination. The Texas wind in the panhandle area is terrible but the wagon tracks straight and true. The smaller engine provides plenty of power as far I am concerned.

Best Value For A Wagon
By FL Retiree on 12/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

With $4,000 rebates from Ford, you can buy this vehicle for $15,990 + Options + Dealer's Prep + sales tax. This vehicle is roughly 1" shorter, 8" lower (height),and 1,000 # lighter than a Chrysler Pacifica (which is also a V-6) and save $10,500! That's enough for a "free" 2nd vehicle.

box on wheels
By Tim Lynch on 11/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The disadvatages of this car is that it rattles when you drive and it sometimes gets stuck into gear when flooring it. The dash controles are inconvenient.