Used 2004 Ford Taurus SEL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Thanks to this car, 5 people survived a rollover crash....
By flymetotheisle

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am a big fan of this car...Nothing much to write except that it is because of this Ford Taurus SEL that our whole family is alive right now......We survived a rollover crash and all came out without a scratch...the car was considered totalled and with the safety features that Ford has installed in this vehicle I am alive right now to write about it...amazingly to say the least...Thank you....

204 SES
By Joe

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have had two 2004 SES's. We owned the first one for 5 weeks before we were hit in the rearended by someone doing 50+ MPH and we were stopped. The car saved our life. I think the safety of the Taurus is fantastic. We have had the second one for 3 years. The Duratec engine if fantastic. Wonderful road car, very reliable. Still has original brakes at 80,000 miles, replaced tires at 55,000. No problems with it. 20MPG in town, 25MPG on hwy. We love this car!

Favorite Features

Reliability, comfort, Duratec 24V engine.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic headlights, front power windows creak (both my Taurus' did that), wish it would last forever.

Not a Mustang but ...
By Mike

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus has performed flawlessly for 2 years. I put Toyo Observe Ice/Snow tires on in the winter and she goes where I point the hood. I average 23 mpg. While the design architecture is dated, but it still creates an easy on the eyes profile. The stereo could stand a few tweaks but is more than commute adequate. Front wheel drive wander is noticeable, but slight. The ride is smooth, very quiet, and at the edge of luxurious. It's a shame they were the rental fleets #1 choice for so many years. That coupled with the "you pay what we pay" incentives of this past summer/fall drives down trade in value. All in all I enjoy my Taurus. I will trade it in on a new Ford 500 in 2 more years.

Favorite Features

Comfort, visibility, love those entry lamps. Trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Mute point. Production is over.

The Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Helmey

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my '98 Taurus SE for a 2004 SEL and I love this car just as much. With leather seats, the interior feels like a luxury car and the drive is excellent with the Duratec V6. The SEL includes a lot of extras that are truly useful and make the car a pleasure to drive for long distances. The V6 Camry is a more refined car, but without the bells and whistles. The Ford is a fun car to own and a really great value.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, keyless entry, climate control system, automatic headlights, leather seats, accessory power outlet.

Suggested Improvements

Better handling, glovebox light, CD changer moved to dash or trunk.

Taurus is the best
By ranger

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SEL Taurus with 16000 miles on it and we love this vehicle so much we just purchased another 2004 SES Taurus for my wife. Vehicle drives like a dream and good mpg at average of 25 city and highway driving. It drives and rides as good as the Grand Marquis we use to have. I have the 24 valve Duratec on the SEL and the 12 valve standard engine on the SES. We like both vehicles very much and enjoy trips much more.

Favorite Features

Delightful ride, good gas mileage and handles well in snow as well as dry pavement.

Suggested Improvements

Wish they would come standard with Michelin tires.