2004 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
2004 Tardus
By bsr2 on 06/15/14 17:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2004 Taurus SE 3.0L. I paid $400 for it. Second owner. I put new rear brakes in myself for $124. I bought the car at 209000. It's now up to 306000, all highway km. The windows quit working at one point, simple design flaw in the boot between car and drivers door. 10 min fix have windows working. This car will not stop. Still doesn't leak oil, shifts nice. The car is still tight. It's alright for comfort and the road noise is rather quiet. I doubt I'll buy another, but this car doesn't owe me a dime.

Dependable Taurus? not so much
By Luna on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 5 years ago, one other person had used it, it had about 15,000 miles on it but it was in very good condition. My parents told me it was a dependable car, and since I was 22 at the time I knew so little about cars and trusted their judgment, and knew I it would take me a while to get through college, so dependable seemed ideal. Even if I was already a little wary of Fords, and the color is awful. A year and a half after I bought it we paid $800 to fix a problem with the transmission. Now it appears the transmission may need fixed again, maybe even replaced. It has difficulty shifting gears, which can be nerve wracking when you are trying to get onto a freeway.

Ford replace GM - mistake
By 8thstbridge on 04/13/10 18:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Whistle noise from drivers side doors; worst gas mileage of any car I have owned *including a '67 GTO! 46K - just replaced STARTER. Water on floor mats; someone else had same problem - factory MISSED a windshield seal & dealer just over stuffed with silicone sealant. Poor side door design, R Side Passenger window regulator failure already and when going through drive throughs and any winter driving or in rain, when you put the window down - all the rain etc. comes in on power buttons at armrest. Windshield washer hoses to spray heads have both cracked and had to be replaced....

COMFORT, FUEL, SNOW, CRASH
By aardvark on 01/19/10 19:04 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I found it to be a very comfortable car,I'm 5 ft and could see well out back when reversing. I found it a little scary going on ramps on highways, at the posted speed, felt like car wanted to overturn. Bad gas consumption, 12-13 miles per gallon in town between 13-20 at best on highway. Car skidded very easily on snow. It had great tires, so I think car was just light in back. Had a horrific wreck and survived and I believe it was because car was built well and I wore my seatbelt. But I am thinking of buying another Taurus. I did love my car.

Functional Vehicle
By ottem82 on 01/12/10 18:37 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great point A to point B vehicle. There is nothing exciting or flashy about it, at the same time it is comfortable, gets decent mileage, and is quite reliable. I bought it with 108000 on it and currently have 146000. I change the oil, put gas in it and drive it. Mileage in everyday driving is 21-25. On the highway driving 80 with the AC on 27-29. Overall it was cheap to purchase and easy to own. If the transmission holds up I'm hoping to run it past 200000.

Decent student car for the money
By SDLA on 11/30/09 18:58 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great car overall. The body construction is solid, and it has comfortable seats. This is a great student car for the money; just boring to drive and look at.

Loyal Ford Customer
By wendy harbach on 08/09/09 18:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have only owned fords all of my life so when I was looking for a mid size car I fell in love with the taurus. I had it for about 3 weeks when the air conditioning unit went out. Then the breaks and finally the alternator. The vehicle only had 36000 when I purchased it. Since those wonderful days things have only gotten worse. Now the car dies for no reason as I drive it. The breaks have been replace 3 times and The air conditioner doesn't work again. This car has really let me down. I don't think I will ever own another taurus. Just watch it this model seems to have alot of problems. When the repair man saw me coming in he laughed and said whats wrong with this one. Not good!!!!

Reliable car
By Nicos on 06/18/09 21:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Taurus new for $17,000 out the door. I put 120,000 miles on it by the time I sold it in Feb 2009. The car was great, comfortable and had good accelaration at higher sppeds. The only problem I had after the warranty expired was I had to replace the bushing between the transmission and engine. Otherwise it was 100% reliable.

Troubled Taurus
By Big_Guy_Green on 08/12/08 14:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The week after my girlfriend bought this car with 43000mi on it, she took it on a trip from central MN to Colorado. They encountered problems the entire way! It stalled 3 times in the mountains, twice needing to be jumped, and once more when they got back in MN. 5 trips to the dealer and 3 batteries later, we thought it was fixed. Now whenever the temp gets above 65 it will sputter at idle and accelerate like tortuise for the first 150 feet. Also, we started learning why this car is called "disposable" when parts started falling off and breaking in the interior. Not to mention the annoying heat shield rattle and fuel cap sensor! At least it gets 28mpg avg. We'll get a Malibu next time.

2004 Ford Taurus SE
By David on 04/09/08 10:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I put a considerable amount of miles on this car each year; mostly highway. Car has averaged 20mpg. For the most part the Taurus has been reliable, but soon after I passed 60,000 miles (warranty expire) I started to have nagging issues. I performed the regular maintenance, but mechanical elements still broke down (i.e. transmission, alternator, etc.)

1 2 3 4 5 next »