2004 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Very good
By johnny127 on 12/08/14 13:30 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have had this car about 5 years and have found it to be very reliable. Corrosion resistance has been very good, as we live in the rust belt and on a dirt road. Car has about 130k on it. One weak point on this car is the rear coil springs. They sag prematurely even with no load in the rear and cause the tires to wear unevenly. We've had no mechanical problems with the transmission, though I wouldn't consider it a top performer compared to others in its class. Gas mileage is adequate but, again, I think others in it's class do better. The styling and road hugging ability is about as exciting as vanilla, but it gets you where you need to go.

2004 Tardus
By bsr2 on 06/15/14 17:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2004 Taurus SE 3.0L. I paid $400 for it. Second owner. I put new rear brakes in myself for $124. I bought the car at 209000. It's now up to 306000, all highway km. The windows quit working at one point, simple design flaw in the boot between car and drivers door. 10 min fix have windows working. This car will not stop. Still doesn't leak oil, shifts nice. The car is still tight. It's alright for comfort and the road noise is rather quiet. I doubt I'll buy another, but this car doesn't owe me a dime.

Thanks to this car, 5 people survived a rollover crash....
By flymetotheisle on 11/05/11 16:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am a big fan of this car...Nothing much to write except that it is because of this Ford Taurus SEL that our whole family is alive right now......We survived a rollover crash and all came out without a scratch...the car was considered totalled and with the safety features that Ford has installed in this vehicle I am alive right now to write about it...amazingly to say the least...Thank you....

Very Reliable well built car!
By Jaxflguy on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Since new, this car has not had one issue or problem. There is not a squeak or rattle to be found. Very reliable comfortable car. Safe. You can't go wrong for the price with these cars. Proud to own another Ford and will purchase one again!

Dependable Taurus? not so much
By Luna on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 5 years ago, one other person had used it, it had about 15,000 miles on it but it was in very good condition. My parents told me it was a dependable car, and since I was 22 at the time I knew so little about cars and trusted their judgment, and knew I it would take me a while to get through college, so dependable seemed ideal. Even if I was already a little wary of Fords, and the color is awful. A year and a half after I bought it we paid $800 to fix a problem with the transmission. Now it appears the transmission may need fixed again, maybe even replaced. It has difficulty shifting gears, which can be nerve wracking when you are trying to get onto a freeway.

Oh My 2004
By MWOhio on 09/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with just only 11 miles. I've only had to do regular maintenance for her. I've traveled from state to state and no problems. She's paid off now and I want to upgrade/customize her. I looked into buying a new Taurus, but I'd rather alter the current one I have and be payment free. I love this car.

A very reliable car
By DTMAN on 06/18/10 14:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

While there are some build quality issues, some whistling for example, but not intolerable, this Taurus has over 115K and I have put in a $250.00 coil (was cutting out) and tires, brakes and oil, that's it. Engine is super quiet, runs great and my mechanic says it's dry, no leaks, etc. I get 28+ mpg highway and about 19.5 city, great for a car this substantial My first Taurus, a 1987 performed much in the same way.

Ford replace GM - mistake
By 8thstbridge on 04/13/10 18:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Whistle noise from drivers side doors; worst gas mileage of any car I have owned *including a '67 GTO! 46K - just replaced STARTER. Water on floor mats; someone else had same problem - factory MISSED a windshield seal & dealer just over stuffed with silicone sealant. Poor side door design, R Side Passenger window regulator failure already and when going through drive throughs and any winter driving or in rain, when you put the window down - all the rain etc. comes in on power buttons at armrest. Windshield washer hoses to spray heads have both cracked and had to be replaced....

COMFORT, FUEL, SNOW, CRASH
By aardvark on 01/19/10 19:04 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I found it to be a very comfortable car,I'm 5 ft and could see well out back when reversing. I found it a little scary going on ramps on highways, at the posted speed, felt like car wanted to overturn. Bad gas consumption, 12-13 miles per gallon in town between 13-20 at best on highway. Car skidded very easily on snow. It had great tires, so I think car was just light in back. Had a horrific wreck and survived and I believe it was because car was built well and I wore my seatbelt. But I am thinking of buying another Taurus. I did love my car.

Functional Vehicle
By ottem82 on 01/12/10 18:37 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great point A to point B vehicle. There is nothing exciting or flashy about it, at the same time it is comfortable, gets decent mileage, and is quite reliable. I bought it with 108000 on it and currently have 146000. I change the oil, put gas in it and drive it. Mileage in everyday driving is 21-25. On the highway driving 80 with the AC on 27-29. Overall it was cheap to purchase and easy to own. If the transmission holds up I'm hoping to run it past 200000.