2003 Ford Taurus Consumer Review: Not the best I've had

2003 Ford Taurus - Consumer Review

SES Sedan (3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Not the best I've had
By jmacthethird on

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I did the research, it seemed the Taurus, might be a good choice. The interior though dated, is nice and the seats are comfy and most creature comforts are there, with a few extras like a power driver side seat. Gas mileage isn't the best at about 26mpg on the highway and about 17mpg in traffic. I did see 28mpg on the highway, but that was only with real gas without the ethanol, which was expected. Everything seemed okay until one day, without warning, the transmission gave out in the middle of highway 441. I had it rebuilt, to the tune of $2700 dollars only for it to go out again exactly 6 months later. This will be the last Ford or Chevy I buy.

Has all the power options besides the passenger seat. Center fold out, with cup holders is nice. I should note that I did get over 100,000 miles out of the vehicle before the transmission went out, but there are other vehicles that go much longer without needing major overhaul work. The engine runs great and was one of the most dependable I've had.

There is a new version now and man it's sharp! Not sharp enough form me to take the chance of it eating it's transmission after 100k. Ford should have recalled the AXOD and AX4N transmissions years ago because they are engineered badly.
By smoo4asw
on 09/28/14 07:37 AM (PDT)

I admit it is sad that you had a bad experience with a period Ford product. I do not doubt your experience in the least. What I can offer is insight. You really don't want an EcoBoost engine with Sync + MyFord Touch entertainment system, because they would make that Taurus look like a good deal, transmission rebuilds and all. I suggest a 2001 to 2003 foreign car of either European or Japanese make because modern Japanese vehicles are starting to adopt some of the crappy ideas from what I call "postmodern" Ford vehicles to meet EPA requirements. Plus, brand new foreign cars are way too expensive, unless you have ethereally good credit. We got around the unreliability of Ford consumer vehicles by buying a small Ranger and SuperCab F-150, and they at least made their real trucks much tougher. Just wanted to allow you to imbibe my experience since I have read hundreds of reviews like yours and feel sympathy.