2003 Ford Taurus LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2003 Taurus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Sort Reviews by

"Worth the money"
By Madison,WI.

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Ford Taurus SE with 28,000 miles. It now has 33,250 miles and I have already had to replace the steering rack and front rotors. Luckily Ford paid for it. Since I only paid $10,000.00 for it I think it is worth the money. It has a solid ride feel. It also has good pick up and passing abilities for the standard 155 horse V6. I really like the 6 disc cd changer audio system. For a car with rental car status I think this was a solid buy choice. Remember that rental car companies wouldn't buy cars that they would have to fix or repair often. I would recommend buying this car since it will be going out of production in 2006.

Favorite Features

Great exterior style compared to older models. Good power from standard V6. Solid ride quality. Smooth 4 speed auto transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage out of 3.0 V6. Needs better quality shocks. Longer warranty to compete with other companies.

Overall, A Great Car
By Joe

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 1 year with no problems. My only problem is that after only 1 year and 12,000 miles, the car is not worth anywhere near what I owe on it.

Favorite Features

Looks and comfort are excellent. Also a nice driving car.

Suggested Improvements

Less cheap plastic on the door panels and a better quality of leather for the seats.

Company Car
By bstephens

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

You know, this car isn't quite as bad as I had originally thought it would be. My company gave me this car 8 months ago and I handed over my '97 Honda Accord to my brother. First let me say that the Taurus drives nowhere near as well as the Accord did. It's too sluggish. When I punch the gas to try to pass someone it always hesitates. The engine revs up for a few seconds before it kicks in and goes. Also, when I have the A/C on the belt is always chirping. My fiance has a 2004 Accord EX that just blows this car away. I don't understand how Ford could ever expect to compete with a Toyota or Honda and win. We definitely drive the Accord on trips together. Goodbye Taurus.

Favorite Features

Cold A/C (I live in the South).

Suggested Improvements

A transmission that transfers the power to the wheels a little quicker.

2003 Taurus SES Sedan
By JacknCali

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really like my Taurus . Good, reliable vehicle with surprisingly good gas mileage on the highway. Low maintenance cost. Disappointing rate of depreciation. Seats are uncomfortable.

Favorite Features

Lights on side mirrors. Well lit interior. Reliability. Roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign seats. Add recirculate button to heater setting

It's BASIC family transportation.
By M.Nicley

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My family has owned several Taurus's and Sable's. All but the '86 Sable were great. All were bought new, all lasted through my parents driving, and me and brother's "Hot Rodding" teenage years. My most recent one is a 2003 SES. It is a nice BASIC family car. If you want luxury buy a Lincoln LS. Have had no problems with the car, other than a couple recalls. The bucket seats and floor shifter make you think its a performance sedan, but it's NOT!. Great to get groceries and go to work in. Took it on one 500 mile trip, and immediatey realized why people with two kids get an SUV. Oh, if you buy one new, plan on driving it until the wheels fall off.

Favorite Features

Spoiler...ah...ah...not a whole lot to be excited about. The 0% financing was great.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the SHO. Pontiac has a supercharged Grand Prix GTP, Chevy has a supercharged Impala SS, why not put a V8 back in one? Well maybe in the 500.

My New Bull
By rental ralph

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our mint 2003 SES was a real steal at $10.1K, including tax and tags. This ex Hertz/IBM company car looks and drives new. Great choice for a family car. Roomy, solid build, rugged engine and a very smooth transmission. No rattles, squeaks or groans. Doors, hood and trunk all close with little effort. Suspension does a nice job in taking the jolt out of NYCís best potholes. Very controlled at speed with little wind noise and little effect from cross winds. No problem passing buses and 18 wheelers.

Favorite Features

Solid body. Excellent safety features. Good handling, roomy interior and just nice to look at. A great value at the right price.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade to 4 wheel disc brakes.

2003 SEL Taurus
By Carpoof

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am very happy with this vehicle. It is very smooth and overall there have not been any problems with it. It feels much more solid than the older Tauruses.

Favorite Features

I love the wood trim interior and the 400-watt Mach Audio system. The two tone leather seats are nice too.

Suggested Improvements

The body could be a little stiffer. It is definitely not a sports car, but still handles well.

Love my Ford
By karni

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

One year ago I was shopping for a car. I think I got a deal, and purchased an almost new, fully loaded 2003 Ford Taurus SEL Centennial Edition beauty with 7000 miles on it. Paid $14,000 plus $1500 premium extended warranty for 6 years or 75,000 miles. She was reliable. Love this car. I replaced factory tail lights with Altezza euro tail lights so she looks cool now. It still looks sharp on the roads; you might see many copycats around, as Hondas, Lexus and Toyotas. They are not fast enough to copy Focus and Taurus. If you are looking for Taurus, Duratec engine is a must. You will enjoy good acceleration.

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

None. Taurus will be discontinued this year so there is no reason to improve something. Rear disc brakes would be nice.

Good Bull 03
By Tom Batz

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The '03 model I have has been very dependable and very comfortable. Good family car with good performance on highway and local roads.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of automatic locking

2003 Taurus SES Sedan
By mwp201

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2003 Taurus SES sedan. It is a great car..for two reasons..roomy and the price. I also LOVE the power for a 200 hp engine. I recommend this car for people who are on a budget and want the power.

Favorite Features

Design...Interior...power...options

Suggested Improvements

Standard automatic headlights for ses trim...standard leather seating...and especially the rear suspension because it SAGS!!!!