2003 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Very Pleased
By quinner on 12/16/08 21:00 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 39000 miles two years ago. Now has 69000 miles. No complaints with how the car has run so far. Roomy enough for a family of 4 with power enough to pass somebody while getting 26-28 mpg highway. I even drive it on our hunting roads where only trucks dare to travel, handles great. Stock CD player works great and has nice sound. Heating and Air conditioning work excellent. Easy to change oil yourself and perform any other maintenance. The car looks good too.

My 2003 Taurus SE, Best Car I ever had
By RWaggs62 on 11/24/08 14:17 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought her brand new on 4/19/2003. From the beginning she was reliable, strong & comfortable. Seriously, the most comfortable seats on long rides of any car I have ever owned. Reliability? Awesome. 77,500 miles later, besides regular service, I had to change the starter right at 5 years and the AC compressor at 5 years, all under warranty. Best car I have ever owned, for comfort, reliability, quality craftsmanship, and ride. I also own a Jaguar, which I love, but when my wife and I are going on a long drive, we take the most comfortable car, the 2003 Ford Taurus SE. Love it!

First Ford
By jeffry hesler on 11/04/08 10:09 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had the vehicle for a year now. I started with 89,000 miles on it. It now has 98,000. I love to drive. I have had only problems with the brakes. The line broke and the disk or something like that on the wheel broke cause I pressed on the brake too hard. So I rate the brakes really good. The car overall is very big on the inside. I've been into 2 wrecks with the car one with a deer and the other was I went under a semi trailer and the rear wheel hit the stands for the trailer. Each time I've never gotten hurt cause the air bags have worked each time. I don't know if it's supposed to but all the air bags went off in every case. It even went off when I hit the deer.

A Completely Disposable Car
By Rollthebones on 09/23/08 10:16 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my only Ford car, and most certainly my last. Fords are not long- term cars. I bought the car from my employer off lease, dirt cheap (I drove it during lease). I have never spent so much repair money on a car with so few miles. Visually, the car is still in great shape. Paint and interior are perfect. The engine (base 3.0 V6) is quite underpowered, gets pitiful gas mileage, and is in need of a trip to the dealer for repair every few months. My GM (Buick) and Nissan cars have never cost me this much money in repairs. At 77k, I've repaired rain leaks on passenger floorboard, oxygen sensors, cam shaft sensor, and had transmission serviced 3 times. This is totally a disposable car.

A great used car
By Looked a long time on 06/26/08 19:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car as the second owner. I looked at a lot of cars but none with safety features like Ford Taurus. Excellent precicion steering and it rides like you're on glass. Super quiet on the freeway. I liked the sister mercury sable too but couldn't find one. Great car, very roomy and for once I finally feel safe. Thanks for listening.

18300 and still going!
By joecool829 on 05/31/08 20:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this model after driving my wife's 1996 Sable LS. I wanted one just like it. I have put 183K on her so far. Minor glitches but nothing unexpected for the mileage. I am happy I got the SEL model with all of the bells and whistles especially the leather and 4 wheel discs. Note to the average driver: I got 101,000 on first set of brakes and 82,000 on second set!

Good value
By K Rohrer on 05/26/08 14:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this to be our main family car (now that the kids are all gone). Had 28k on at time of purchase, 84k now. Had a few mechanical challenges, nothing unusual except the trans torque converter about 80k. No fireworks but is not unattractive. And, I can count on it. My mileage is better than most reviewers: 24 around town, up to 37 on a trip (yeah, you read that right!). In fact I just returned from a 400 mile trip and got 37.8. Double checked the math etc.! Just made a 04 Explorer our main car. Was going to replace Taurus with "fuel efficient car" but why bother?

Good Car
By SES Owner on 05/05/08 12:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2003 SES with 13,000 miles in September, 2003. Since then I have only had one repair (a $400 camsynchronizer). The car runs good with over 120,000 miles, I have yet to change the brakes or have any other repairs. As for fuel economy, I can get around 24 to 26 mpg on the interstate and around 18 to 20 mpg in town.

All the mechanics agreed....
By Sarah on 04/27/08 04:51 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

that this make of car is very poor. They know, because they repair this car so often.I should have listened to my dad, he said the car was junk and it really was. since the very beginning, the car had problems with transmission, broke in May 2007, the alternator, the catalytic sensor, the catalytic converter, etc. I invested $4000 in repairs. but I had enough, I divorced my car I cant have this constant stress about what will be next and really be stressed out about the cost. Also the interior is bad quality, thing are tearing apart. Sound is bad. Advice: before buying this car, ask mechanics and you will change your mind. Buy a good car, a Subaru or Toyota.

Watch Out!
By Frank on 04/03/08 16:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this Ford with 26,000 miles for just over $11000. The car has been great, until now With 80000 miles, the transmission failed without warning, the rear wheel bearings started screaming for attention. Now that the repairs are done, the car leaks transission and engine oil. I'm told bad design. This was my first and last Ford, I'm going back to a Jeep!