2003 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
PROBLEM FORD
By Bad Ford! on 07/24/06 17:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Base V-6 engine is very under powered. 4 speed auto transmission shifts rough. Vehicle has less than a pleasant ride, very rough in fact. Interior quality is good. Exterior design is sporty, even for a 4 door. Looks and interior build do not make up for this vehicles mechanical shortcomings and choppy ride. My Taurus now has 45,000 miles on it and I cannot wait to get rid of it. Rotors and steering system had to be replaced around 30,000 miles. I cannot believe they charge over $20,000 for one of these cars brand new. I would definitely consider this vehicle a "throw away car". I wouldn't recommend this vehicle to anyone. This will definitely be my last Ford!

This is the worst car I've ever owned
By klfrunell on 05/23/06 15:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car less than 90 days ago, used. We had it inspected thoroughly prior to purchase. We have had it towed 4 times since purchase, diagnosed twice, and each time the mechanic has said there is nothing wrong, and the car starts for them, we bring it home and it won't start again. The mechanic today said--after keeping the car for 2 days and trying to get it to fail-- that this model frequently will not start for no particular reason. He had one earlier this week with same problem, and sent it back to owners not knowing what was wrong. We picked it up, drove it home, and it won't start again. This is not at all a reliable car. Never again!

2003 Ford Taurus SE
By Paul on 02/15/06 22:22 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Surprisingly good suspension and handling. Even better on winter Michelin X-ice tires than on original Continental Touring Contact tires. However, old but reliable OHV Vulcan engine lacks the vigor of modern OHC engines. Additionally, the transmission has been mated to the engine for economy and upshifts too eagerly, what robs the car of dynamics even further. Sufficient and well modulated brakes stop this heavy car with confidence even with drums at rear. Body fit is below average with poorly designed hinges and locks. I had to spend a few hours just to adjust all doors to my standards. Overall reliability seems to be good providing that a basic maintenance schedules are being kept.

Taurus
By tx on 09/25/05 02:37 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car itself runs pretty ok. I have some brake issues, nothing that a good brake job or stopping a good 5 yards away from the car in front of me can't fix. But tis expected when the car has over 100,000 miles on it.

"Worth the money"
By Madison,WI. on 09/21/05 05:25 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Ford Taurus SE with 28,000 miles. It now has 33,250 miles and I have already had to replace the steering rack and front rotors. Luckily Ford paid for it. Since I only paid $10,000.00 for it I think it is worth the money. It has a solid ride feel. It also has good pick up and passing abilities for the standard 155 horse V6. I really like the 6 disc cd changer audio system. For a car with rental car status I think this was a solid buy choice. Remember that rental car companies wouldn't buy cars that they would have to fix or repair often. I would recommend buying this car since it will be going out of production in 2006.

Company Car
By bstephens on 05/27/05 09:45 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

You know, this car isn't quite as bad as I had originally thought it would be. My company gave me this car 8 months ago and I handed over my '97 Honda Accord to my brother. First let me say that the Taurus drives nowhere near as well as the Accord did. It's too sluggish. When I punch the gas to try to pass someone it always hesitates. The engine revs up for a few seconds before it kicks in and goes. Also, when I have the A/C on the belt is always chirping. My fiance has a 2004 Accord EX that just blows this car away. I don't understand how Ford could ever expect to compete with a Toyota or Honda and win. We definitely drive the Accord on trips together. Goodbye Taurus.

Great car for the money
By Shibble on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car! Impressed with the gas mileage and comfort of the vehicle. Runs great and feels very solid on the road. Very comforting to know of the high safety rating - hope I never have to use it! All of this and I paid 10,500. at the dealership for this one year-old car!!! Unbelievable value.

Quality Car and Excellent Value!
By tomny67 on 11/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is an easy car to drive. It has a good, solid feel on the road. I find the driver's seat very comfortable and the interior is extemely quiet. Since I've only driven this car 2200 miles, it's too early to rate in terms of reliability but I'm impressed with its initial quality. The car was put together flawlessly in Atlanta. In my opinion, the Taurus is the most handsome- looking family vehicle on the market today.

Not too impressed
By buckwheat on 09/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first Taurus, and overall is a decent package. Since new, it didn't idle smooth, ran rough, and surged when stopped in gear. After 400 miles Ford replaced half of the fuel system and fixed a rattle in the front inner fender. These are common issues. The first 4k or so I never got better than 20 MPG, but now I get 19 mpg city/ 24 mpg highway and average 22 mpg overall. The biggest gripe I have is with the seating. After driving long periods of time gives me back trouble. The root of the issue is the driver’s floorboard. As it comes back to the drivers seat it narrows and leaves little room.

Best car ever
By taurusgal on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got into a wreck one time, almost totled the honda civic and the only thing wrong with the taurus was the paint was scratched!