Used 2003 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Best American car we've ever had.
By ndecker

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had problems with Ford's in the past. Got this car for free, but it needed a lot of TLC because the previous owner neglected it. Bought and installed the parts myself, never had a problem with it. This car is absolutely amazing, nothing else like it. Just turned 100k miles and still running strong.

Lot's of room both in the interior and trunk, rides smooth, acceptable performance for a family sedan. You can tell the car has a V6, there's no loss in power going down the freeway with 4+ people.

Could use better rear struts, most tauri need them. MPG could be better.

Best Car ever
By lawnboy270

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was our first new car.
From day one it has been awesome.
Now almost 10 years and 244,000 miles later it continues to do whatever is asked of it.
The Duratec 24v 3.0 is quite trouble free.
It still has the original starter, alternator, and water pump.
The trans is the same one it came with in 2003 and has never gave an issue shifting.
Take care of your car and it will take care of you.
Oil changes every 5k, trans fluid change, and fuel filter every 30k, coolant every 100k. Why I would ever buy a import after owning this car?
It made us a Ford family for life.

The 24 valve engine gets this car up and will move it even after 244k. No issues with acceleration in rush hour traffic

Average MPG 24, have had as high as 28. For a small v-6 it could be a little better for MPG.

Ford Taurus V6 vulcan, Good sedan
By jermz17

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a good car, It has all the features you would need to drive a family around. But like all cars this one does have common problems but they can be fixed.

Fuel pump, Coil pack, and camshaft. Not cheap but easy to fix and if you take good car of the car it will take care of you.

4 wheel disc brakes, upgraded coil packs, upgraded fuel pump.

Love my Taurus
By javacup1

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have nothing but good things to say about my Taurus completely dependable I have 173k mi. only cost i had was regular service changing plugs gas filter etc as specified in manual the only part that needed replacement more then once was the from stabilizer bar other than that it rides like a gem and i am proud to own a ford and it's American and i came from the saabs Nissans volvos.

This is my 8th Taurus
By Johnny Mano

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2003 ses. I bought it with 40,000 miles for $9,500. It has all options except leather (I swapped the leather seats with my 2001 that I gave to the kids, it had 125,000 miles).I currently have 135k and am thinking about giving it to the kids. In all that time I have only done the brakes once as well as the stabilizer links. I completely tuned it recently. Since day one the transmission has hesitated when I started (when the car is hot) so I've learned to drive off easy. I average 22 mpg consistently on a tank of gas. I did notice the wheel well had some bubbling paint. Everything about the car is average,consider it's cheap and easy to fix. I own a 97, and 2-98's that my kids drive, I love them

sun roof, black paint and spoiler. I have the console shifter and alloy wheels. the fold down rear seats enable you to carry 8" 2x4's. Good in the snow excellent a/c. I love that it starts every time and runs smooth especially on the highway at 70 mph.

Interior wind noise. Heater tube (carries coolant through the firewall into the heater core) rusts out,part $80 from dealer. Drum brakes in the rear,a nightmare to do yourself though I have done it. Getting the drum off is almost impossible. FYI you cant change the alternator on the 24v yourself!