Used 2003 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Go buy a Buick instead
By jake's Dad

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SEL off of an indivdual with 73K on it back in June. What a mistake. The starter went out on it 2 weeks after I bought it. Then the brakes, then the ball joints, then the wheel barrings, then the blower. All in all I have spent 2,000 on this car since I bought it. I am ready to sell it and get a cheap little Honda or Toyota. I drive 30 miles one wa to work and the gas mileage at HWY speeds isn't great. Extremely disappointed with that. Gets 18 in the city and at best 23 on the highway. If you go domestic, get a used Century or LeSabre

It's My Baby!
By Dot Collins

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I will probably keep this car until parts are no longer available for it. It handles well, seats comfortably, and rides magnificently. The only thing I would change about it would be a llittle better gas mileage, but I can overlook that for the rest of what it does. It's my baby!

Favorite Features

The ride, the way it handles.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage

Love my Taurus
By javacup1

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have nothing but good things to say about my Taurus completely dependable I have 173k mi. only cost i had was regular service changing plugs gas filter etc as specified in manual the only part that needed replacement more then once was the from stabilizer bar other than that it rides like a gem and i am proud to own a ford and it's American and i came from the saabs Nissans volvos.

Pretty decent
By michaeldav1234

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Going from a '97 Acura 2.5 TL to a 2003 Taurus was a bit different at first. I miss the sunroof and leather seats and climate control system my Acura had. Overall, I am very satisfied with my Royal Blue 2003 Taurus SE. I bought it on Valentine's Day 2012 and almost a year later and more than 20,000 miles putting it at 130,000 miles, I've only had to replace the starter, alternator, and battery which were all under warranty from JD Byrider (hence the 1 star for value because I'm overpaying for it). I have driven it from Jackson, MS to New Orleans and to Ole Miss numerous times and it has not failed me. Will keep til I can get a brand new black Ford Taurus SHO.

Favorite Features

Handling, design, reliable, gets me from a to b, 330-340 miles on a tank of gas, heater blows HOT and A/C is COLD which is great for Mississippi heat.

Suggested Improvements

Interior features which have been improved in the newer Tauruses.

Not the best I've had
By jmacthethird

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I did the research, it seemed the Taurus, might be a good choice. The interior though dated, is nice and the seats are comfy and most creature comforts are there, with a few extras like a power driver side seat. Gas mileage isn't the best at about 26mpg on the highway and about 17mpg in traffic. I did see 28mpg on the highway, but that was only with real gas without the ethanol, which was expected. Everything seemed okay until one day, without warning, the transmission gave out in the middle of highway 441. I had it rebuilt, to the tune of $2700 dollars only for it to go out again exactly 6 months later. This will be the last Ford or Chevy I buy.

Favorite Features

Has all the power options besides the passenger seat. Center fold out, with cup holders is nice. I should note that I did get over 100,000 miles out of the vehicle before the transmission went out, but there are other vehicles that go much longer without needing major overhaul work. The engine runs great and was one of the most dependable I've had.

Suggested Improvements

There is a new version now and man it's sharp! Not sharp enough form me to take the chance of it eating it's transmission after 100k. Ford should have recalled the AXOD and AX4N transmissions years ago because they are engineered badly.