Used 2003 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

A great car
By Prashant

2003 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have bought this Taurus 2 months ago and i just love it - ride quality, handling is just great. I have driven lot of other cars including Chevy Malibu and Cavalier, but this is the most comfortable ride. I just love long drives in it. A/C is very powerful.. in a cold area like LaCrosse, it just turns the heat immediately. Boot space is too good.

Power, looks, air conditioning, sound system quality, boot space, drive quality, power seat.

Fuel economy, automatic light control.

Ford Engine Problems
By tom browne

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

A great car except it requires about 50 seconds from a cold start before use. During this time the lifters or tappits do not receive oil, make extremely disconcerting noises, and are very irritating expecially when the dealership says there is nothing wrong. Well, there is! This car will be sold before the next one is purchased. A Taurus-probably not!

style, seats, excelleration, radio, mileage, ease of handling

Fix the engine to operate properly expecially when the customer leaves the unit overnite and the service manager still can not hear the problem upon start-up the next morning.

Good Work Vehicle
By Fixer

2003 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have put over 100,000 miles on the Taurus in 2 years. The engine is strong and will last of another couple of 100,000 miles like the last one. Obviously mostly highway miles. Gas, oil and tires is all it needs. I feel safe in this heavier Ford. It doesn't get blown around on the highway like some small cars. There is only one vehicle behind the Taurus sedan on the list of least likely to be stolen and that is the Taurus wagon.

It's a company car so it is cheap for me.

The drivers seat could use a little more technology / support / comfort after 100,000 miles.

PROBLEM FORD
By Bad Ford!

2003 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Base V-6 engine is very under powered. 4 speed auto transmission shifts rough. Vehicle has less than a pleasant ride, very rough in fact. Interior quality is good. Exterior design is sporty, even for a 4 door. Looks and interior build do not make up for this vehicles mechanical shortcomings and choppy ride. My Taurus now has 45,000 miles on it and I cannot wait to get rid of it. Rotors and steering system had to be replaced around 30,000 miles. I cannot believe they charge over $20,000 for one of these cars brand new. I would definitely consider this vehicle a "throw away car". I wouldn't recommend this vehicle to anyone. This will definitely be my last Ford!

Exterior look. 6 disc cd changer.

Better base engine, suspension, steering, and transmission.

This is the worst car I've ever owned
By klfrunell

2003 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car less than 90 days ago, used. We had it inspected thoroughly prior to purchase. We have had it towed 4 times since purchase, diagnosed twice, and each time the mechanic has said there is nothing wrong, and the car starts for them, we bring it home and it won't start again. The mechanic today said--after keeping the car for 2 days and trying to get it to fail-- that this model frequently will not start for no particular reason. He had one earlier this week with same problem, and sent it back to owners not knowing what was wrong. We picked it up, drove it home, and it won't start again. This is not at all a reliable car. Never again!

None, what good is a car if it doesn't start?

It would be nice if the car would start for us. After taking it to 3 different mechanics, Ford dealerships, etc., no one can figure out why the car will not start, and it's not consistent either.