Used 2003 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Not the best I've had
By jmacthethird

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I did the research, it seemed the Taurus, might be a good choice. The interior though dated, is nice and the seats are comfy and most creature comforts are there, with a few extras like a power driver side seat. Gas mileage isn't the best at about 26mpg on the highway and about 17mpg in traffic. I did see 28mpg on the highway, but that was only with real gas without the ethanol, which was expected. Everything seemed okay until one day, without warning, the transmission gave out in the middle of highway 441. I had it rebuilt, to the tune of $2700 dollars only for it to go out again exactly 6 months later. This will be the last Ford or Chevy I buy.

Has all the power options besides the passenger seat. Center fold out, with cup holders is nice. I should note that I did get over 100,000 miles out of the vehicle before the transmission went out, but there are other vehicles that go much longer without needing major overhaul work. The engine runs great and was one of the most dependable I've had.

There is a new version now and man it's sharp! Not sharp enough form me to take the chance of it eating it's transmission after 100k. Ford should have recalled the AXOD and AX4N transmissions years ago because they are engineered badly.

Not my first choice
By b_engels7

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drove an '03 Taurus for 7 years, and in that time I had to replace the transmission, the cam, struts, break lines, the muffler, and a multitude of repairs which I have repressed from my memory. The car produced phantom odors, odd sounds, and mysterious leaks. The front passenger floor flooded constantly for some reason. The gas mileage was terrible, I'd say around 18 highway and 12 city by a rough estimate. The transmission is twitchy so dont expect a smooth ride. Be prepared to spend a lot on repairs, my advice: save your money and buy a honda or something.

Cabin size, trunk space

Gas mileage was poor for it's class, numerous mechanical failures, poor acceleration

Pretty decent
By michaeldav1234

2003 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Going from a '97 Acura 2.5 TL to a 2003 Taurus was a bit different at first. I miss the sunroof and leather seats and climate control system my Acura had. Overall, I am very satisfied with my Royal Blue 2003 Taurus SE. I bought it on Valentine's Day 2012 and almost a year later and more than 20,000 miles putting it at 130,000 miles, I've only had to replace the starter, alternator, and battery which were all under warranty from JD Byrider (hence the 1 star for value because I'm overpaying for it). I have driven it from Jackson, MS to New Orleans and to Ole Miss numerous times and it has not failed me. Will keep til I can get a brand new black Ford Taurus SHO.

Handling, design, reliable, gets me from a to b, 330-340 miles on a tank of gas, heater blows HOT and A/C is COLD which is great for Mississippi heat.

Interior features which have been improved in the newer Tauruses.

Best American car we've ever had.
By ndecker

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had problems with Ford's in the past. Got this car for free, but it needed a lot of TLC because the previous owner neglected it. Bought and installed the parts myself, never had a problem with it. This car is absolutely amazing, nothing else like it. Just turned 100k miles and still running strong.

Lot's of room both in the interior and trunk, rides smooth, acceptable performance for a family sedan. You can tell the car has a V6, there's no loss in power going down the freeway with 4+ people.

Could use better rear struts, most tauri need them. MPG could be better.

Best Car ever
By lawnboy270

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was our first new car. From day one it has been awesome. Now almost 10 years and 244,000 miles later it continues to do whatever is asked of it. The Duratec 24v 3.0 is quite trouble free. It still has the original starter, alternator, and water pump. The trans is the same one it came with in 2003 and has never gave an issue shifting. Take care of your car and it will take care of you. Oil changes every 5k, trans fluid change, and fuel filter every 30k, coolant every 100k. Why I would ever buy a import after owning this car? It made us a Ford family for life.

The 24 valve engine gets this car up and will move it even after 244k. No issues with acceleration in rush hour traffic

Average MPG 24, have had as high as 28. For a small v-6 it could be a little better for MPG.