Used 2003 Ford Taurus SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Pretty decent
By michaeldav1234

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Going from a '97 Acura 2.5 TL to a 2003 Taurus was a bit different at first. I miss the sunroof and leather seats and climate control system my Acura had. Overall, I am very satisfied with my Royal Blue 2003 Taurus SE. I bought it on Valentine's Day 2012 and almost a year later and more than 20,000 miles putting it at 130,000 miles, I've only had to replace the starter, alternator, and battery which were all under warranty from JD Byrider (hence the 1 star for value because I'm overpaying for it). I have driven it from Jackson, MS to New Orleans and to Ole Miss numerous times and it has not failed me. Will keep til I can get a brand new black Ford Taurus SHO.

Favorite Features

Handling, design, reliable, gets me from a to b, 330-340 miles on a tank of gas, heater blows HOT and A/C is COLD which is great for Mississippi heat.

Suggested Improvements

Interior features which have been improved in the newer Tauruses.

Crazy to buy this!
By Crazywoman

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was desperate to get a car while having bad credit. I had been unemployed for almost a year, had to turn in my previous vehicle. The dealer could smell my fear a mile away & took advantage of me .I thought I would have reliable transport. Oh, no. I've put $2000+ in repairs on this piece of crap in 2.5 years. Brakes squeal and 2 brake shops say they are very good. Something wrong with a rod and the radiator cracked sitting at home for 2 days. Windshield washers are disintegrated. I use a spray bottle. I hate the car. I should've taken more time to look around. No Fords OR Chevys for me EVER again. 21 mpg is NOT good mileage, either. It's another Edsel.

Favorite Features

It looks like an old lady's car so I don't get stopped when I'm speeding.

Suggested Improvements

Trash the whole line and get going on real gas savers reasonably priced for a change.

Happy with Taurus
By J Harbor

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Taurus w/17,000 miles on it. I have had excellent experience with the car, has sun roof, large truck, plenty of room in back seat. Other than regular service I have only had to have front brake job and new battery and tires. I now have 58,000 and still happy. I like the style, enjoy it every day and have made several long trips.

My 2003 Taurus SE, Best Car I ever had
By RWaggs62

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought her brand new on 4/19/2003. From the beginning she was reliable, strong & comfortable. Seriously, the most comfortable seats on long rides of any car I have ever owned. Reliability? Awesome. 77,500 miles later, besides regular service, I had to change the starter right at 5 years and the AC compressor at 5 years, all under warranty. Best car I have ever owned, for comfort, reliability, quality craftsmanship, and ride. I also own a Jaguar, which I love, but when my wife and I are going on a long drive, we take the most comfortable car, the 2003 Ford Taurus SE. Love it!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats. Easy to change oil. Reliability. Leg room, front seats and backs seats. 6 CD changer.

Suggested Improvements

Keep making Tauruses, as Ford is now doing again, when I need a new car, I will buy one.

Good car.
By Anonymous

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really like my 2003 Taurus. The car has about 140,000 on it now and doesn't have the get up and go it used to (it does hesitate when accelerating quickly) but I have had minimal problems over the years. I deal with Birmingham stop & go traffic everyday with about a 30 mile commute so I do have to have regular brake maintenance but other than that I have no complaints. Very roomy so its great for tall people like me. I think its about ready to be traded in but I will miss it.

Favorite Features

The exterior design is much more sporty than the old Tauruses. I'm a tall guy and the roomy interior is great. The AC is the best feature. Ford ACs can cool a hot car in seconds.

Suggested Improvements

The fuel economy could be better although I feel it is better than it is given credit for. I also wish Ford would make engines that last a little longer. If you take good care of the car it might last over 175,000; but that's it.