2003 Ford Taurus SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2003 Taurus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Sort Reviews by

Pretty decent
By michaeldav1234

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Going from a '97 Acura 2.5 TL to a 2003 Taurus was a bit different at first. I miss the sunroof and leather seats and climate control system my Acura had. Overall, I am very satisfied with my Royal Blue 2003 Taurus SE. I bought it on Valentine's Day 2012 and almost a year later and more than 20,000 miles putting it at 130,000 miles, I've only had to replace the starter, alternator, and battery which were all under warranty from JD Byrider (hence the 1 star for value because I'm overpaying for it). I have driven it from Jackson, MS to New Orleans and to Ole Miss numerous times and it has not failed me. Will keep til I can get a brand new black Ford Taurus SHO.

Favorite Features

Handling, design, reliable, gets me from a to b, 330-340 miles on a tank of gas, heater blows HOT and A/C is COLD which is great for Mississippi heat.

Suggested Improvements

Interior features which have been improved in the newer Tauruses.

Crazy to buy this!
By Crazywoman

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was desperate to get a car while having bad credit. I had been unemployed for almost a year, had to turn in my previous vehicle. The dealer could smell my fear a mile away & took advantage of me .I thought I would have reliable transport. Oh, no. I've put $2000+ in repairs on this piece of crap in 2.5 years. Brakes squeal and 2 brake shops say they are very good. Something wrong with a rod and the radiator cracked sitting at home for 2 days. Windshield washers are disintegrated. I use a spray bottle. I hate the car. I should've taken more time to look around. No Fords OR Chevys for me EVER again. 21 mpg is NOT good mileage, either. It's another Edsel.

Favorite Features

It looks like an old lady's car so I don't get stopped when I'm speeding.

Suggested Improvements

Trash the whole line and get going on real gas savers reasonably priced for a change.

Happy with Taurus
By J Harbor

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Taurus w/17,000 miles on it. I have had excellent experience with the car, has sun roof, large truck, plenty of room in back seat. Other than regular service I have only had to have front brake job and new battery and tires. I now have 58,000 and still happy. I like the style, enjoy it every day and have made several long trips.

Good car.
By Anonymous

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really like my 2003 Taurus. The car has about 140,000 on it now and doesn't have the get up and go it used to (it does hesitate when accelerating quickly) but I have had minimal problems over the years. I deal with Birmingham stop & go traffic everyday with about a 30 mile commute so I do have to have regular brake maintenance but other than that I have no complaints. Very roomy so its great for tall people like me. I think its about ready to be traded in but I will miss it.

Favorite Features

The exterior design is much more sporty than the old Tauruses. I'm a tall guy and the roomy interior is great. The AC is the best feature. Ford ACs can cool a hot car in seconds.

Suggested Improvements

The fuel economy could be better although I feel it is better than it is given credit for. I also wish Ford would make engines that last a little longer. If you take good care of the car it might last over 175,000; but that's it.

My 2003 Taurus SE, Best Car I ever had
By RWaggs62

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought her brand new on 4/19/2003. From the beginning she was reliable, strong & comfortable. Seriously, the most comfortable seats on long rides of any car I have ever owned. Reliability? Awesome. 77,500 miles later, besides regular service, I had to change the starter right at 5 years and the AC compressor at 5 years, all under warranty. Best car I have ever owned, for comfort, reliability, quality craftsmanship, and ride. I also own a Jaguar, which I love, but when my wife and I are going on a long drive, we take the most comfortable car, the 2003 Ford Taurus SE. Love it!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats. Easy to change oil. Reliability. Leg room, front seats and backs seats. 6 CD changer.

Suggested Improvements

Keep making Tauruses, as Ford is now doing again, when I need a new car, I will buy one.

A great used car
By Looked a long time

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car as the second owner. I looked at a lot of cars but none with safety features like Ford Taurus. Excellent precicion steering and it rides like you're on glass. Super quiet on the freeway. I liked the sister mercury sable too but couldn't find one. Great car, very roomy and for once I finally feel safe. Thanks for listening.

Favorite Features

The way it handles on the regular road and the freeway.

Suggested Improvements

Would like a better choice of interior colors.

All the mechanics agreed....
By Sarah

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

that this make of car is very poor. They know, because they repair this car so often.I should have listened to my dad, he said the car was junk and it really was. since the very beginning, the car had problems with transmission, broke in May 2007, the alternator, the catalytic sensor, the catalytic converter, etc. I invested $4000 in repairs. but I had enough, I divorced my car I cant have this constant stress about what will be next and really be stressed out about the cost. Also the interior is bad quality, thing are tearing apart. Sound is bad. Advice: before buying this car, ask mechanics and you will change your mind. Buy a good car, a Subaru or Toyota.

Favorite Features

It is roomy inside, it has very good space inside. The truck is very spacious.

Suggested Improvements

they probably made some changes in the newer models.

2003 Tarus
By Paul

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is an excellent value. Dependable, fuel efficient(28MPG highway)and comfortable. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone

Favorite Features

Exterior styling is a home run

Suggested Improvements

Making the 4 valve motor as standard equipment would be the only thing lacking

2003 Taurus SE
By Mick

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus SE has easy turning ability, and the 3.OL.2V 6 CYL engine is very powerful even for interstate driving and climbing up steep hills. It starts quickly and has "get up and go" after 30,000 miles, and looks shiny good.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Avoid dash reflection in windshield under certain light conditions

A great car
By Prashant

2003 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have bought this Taurus 2 months ago and i just love it - ride quality, handling is just great. I have driven lot of other cars including Chevy Malibu and Cavalier, but this is the most comfortable ride. I just love long drives in it. A/C is very powerful.. in a cold area like LaCrosse, it just turns the heat immediately. Boot space is too good.

Favorite Features

Power, looks, air conditioning, sound system quality, boot space, drive quality, power seat.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy, automatic light control.