2003 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Not the best I've had
By jmacthethird on 08/03/14 14:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I did the research, it seemed the Taurus, might be a good choice. The interior though dated, is nice and the seats are comfy and most creature comforts are there, with a few extras like a power driver side seat. Gas mileage isn't the best at about 26mpg on the highway and about 17mpg in traffic. I did see 28mpg on the highway, but that was only with real gas without the ethanol, which was expected. Everything seemed okay until one day, without warning, the transmission gave out in the middle of highway 441. I had it rebuilt, to the tune of $2700 dollars only for it to go out again exactly 6 months later. This will be the last Ford or Chevy I buy.

Not my first choice
By b_engels7 on 02/25/13 07:55 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drove an '03 Taurus for 7 years, and in that time I had to replace the transmission, the cam, struts, break lines, the muffler, and a multitude of repairs which I have repressed from my memory. The car produced phantom odors, odd sounds, and mysterious leaks. The front passenger floor flooded constantly for some reason. The gas mileage was terrible, I'd say around 18 highway and 12 city by a rough estimate. The transmission is twitchy so dont expect a smooth ride. Be prepared to spend a lot on repairs, my advice: save your money and buy a honda or something.

Pretty decent
By michaeldav1234 on 01/19/13 16:00 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Going from a '97 Acura 2.5 TL to a 2003 Taurus was a bit different at first. I miss the sunroof and leather seats and climate control system my Acura had. Overall, I am very satisfied with my Royal Blue 2003 Taurus SE. I bought it on Valentine's Day 2012 and almost a year later and more than 20,000 miles putting it at 130,000 miles, I've only had to replace the starter, alternator, and battery which were all under warranty from JD Byrider (hence the 1 star for value because I'm overpaying for it). I have driven it from Jackson, MS to New Orleans and to Ole Miss numerous times and it has not failed me. Will keep til I can get a brand new black Ford Taurus SHO.

Best American car we've ever had.
By ndecker on 12/16/12 10:15 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had problems with Ford's in the past. Got this car for free, but it needed a lot of TLC because the previous owner neglected it. Bought and installed the parts myself, never had a problem with it. This car is absolutely amazing, nothing else like it. Just turned 100k miles and still running strong.

Best Car ever
By lawnboy270 on 11/28/12 23:36 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was our first new car. From day one it has been awesome. Now almost 10 years and 244,000 miles later it continues to do whatever is asked of it. The Duratec 24v 3.0 is quite trouble free. It still has the original starter, alternator, and water pump. The trans is the same one it came with in 2003 and has never gave an issue shifting. Take care of your car and it will take care of you. Oil changes every 5k, trans fluid change, and fuel filter every 30k, coolant every 100k. Why I would ever buy a import after owning this car? It made us a Ford family for life.

Ford Taurus V6 vulcan, Good sedan
By jermz17 on 05/06/12 00:49 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a good car, It has all the features you would need to drive a family around. But like all cars this one does have common problems but they can be fixed. Fuel pump, Coil pack, and camshaft. Not cheap but easy to fix and if you take good car of the car it will take care of you.

Love my Taurus
By javacup1 on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have nothing but good things to say about my Taurus completely dependable I have 173k mi. only cost i had was regular service changing plugs gas filter etc as specified in manual the only part that needed replacement more then once was the from stabilizer bar other than that it rides like a gem and i am proud to own a ford and it's American and i came from the saabs Nissans volvos.

This is my 8th Taurus
By Johnny Mano on 08/10/10 18:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2003 ses. I bought it with 40,000 miles for $9,500. It has all options except leather (I swapped the leather seats with my 2001 that I gave to the kids, it had 125,000 miles).I currently have 135k and am thinking about giving it to the kids. In all that time I have only done the brakes once as well as the stabilizer links. I completely tuned it recently. Since day one the transmission has hesitated when I started (when the car is hot) so I've learned to drive off easy. I average 22 mpg consistently on a tank of gas. I did notice the wheel well had some bubbling paint. Everything about the car is average,consider it's cheap and easy to fix. I own a 97, and 2-98's that my kids drive, I love them

Sad I sold it
By AFGUY on 08/08/10 21:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus SES FFV 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I owned a 2003 Taurus SES for about 2yrs. White with dark tint windows, very sharp. Loved the super comfy seats, good power, everything seemed to be in its place, very easy for people unfamiliar with the car to get in and drive with no questions. had 60k when I bought it drove from Wyoming to Texas a couple times, and back and forth to work everyday, no issues other than transmission slipped from 1st to 2nd when I turned left and i was on the gas pretty hard a couple times. Sold it because I'm moving and it's been three days and I already miss it.

Crazy to buy this!
By Crazywoman on 08/06/10 10:08 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was desperate to get a car while having bad credit. I had been unemployed for almost a year, had to turn in my previous vehicle. The dealer could smell my fear a mile away & took advantage of me .I thought I would have reliable transport. Oh, no. I've put $2000+ in repairs on this piece of crap in 2.5 years. Brakes squeal and 2 brake shops say they are very good. Something wrong with a rod and the radiator cracked sitting at home for 2 days. Windshield washers are disintegrated. I use a spray bottle. I hate the car. I should've taken more time to look around. No Fords OR Chevys for me EVER again. 21 mpg is NOT good mileage, either. It's another Edsel.