WHAT A DEAL
By Les on
2002 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)
I bought my Taurus used, 1.5 years old, with warranty, for less than half the price of a new one. The biggest surprise was decent handling, even better than my '00 Acura TL (before I changed springs). Lots of room inside, good fuel economy with smaller engine. Something of rarity these days, no ABS, I love it, especially on snow. For some reason there are no aftermarket parts, like lower springs, better shocks, but stock is not so bad. No ridiculous gap between fenders and wheels. My recommendation - get a used one from rental fleet, you'll save tons of money. With 65,000 miles on it, all I've changed was brake pads (twice), tires (3 sets), and ball joints. The car is driven hard and fast, almost problem free.
Favorite Features
Large interior, good handling, decent fuel economy, cheap to insure and repair, no ABS, six passenger seating, huge tank, 16" wheels.
Suggested Improvements
Transmission is horrible. Slow to downshift, fast to upshift, takes a lot of fun away from the car. Offer a manual (with clutch), there is no law against it. Offer harder springs as option, better headlights.