2002 Ford Taurus 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - 198K miles, still going -

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Review

SE Sedan (3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic)

198K miles, still going - did I get lucky?
By newvegasnerd on

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I inherited the family car as my first car, and I couldn't have asked for more out of it. It has gotten me from point A to point B 20 miles and back everyday for almost two years now, and it is showing no sign of slowing down. All the meat and potatoes of this car are original, engine, tranny, etc. Nothing big has ever been replaced. It is a heavy car; it absorbs the road well. Not a very good snow car - it is a heavy sedan without anything stellar to help it out in the snow/ice. Excessive road salt has started to rot out underneath the doors and the wheel wells - no stopping that. All in all if you can find one of these used cheap with somewhat low mileage, it makes a perfect first car.

Favorite Features

It can haul if you need it to, thanks to the V6. Speaking of, even when doing so, I still "rock" ~22-23 miles per gallon. Not bad for an old V6! Nice and big sedan can fit a lot of people, too - 4 very comfortably, and 6 if you really want to. Absorbs road well. Intuitive cruise control and radio setup. A/C is awesome. Power windows/mirrors/seats are a luxury for a first car.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes are pretty bad, front discs and real drums. Upgrade the brakes if you feel like it - this heavy beast takes a while to completely stop quickly. Maybe I'm just pampered driving my mom's 2011 Altima. Heavy + Bad Brakes = not a good snow car. Speakers aren't hardcore, don't go pumping these too hard, people will laugh at you. I'm at the point where I'm doing a lot of little repairs to the car, but it's still cheaper than doing monthly payments on a new/leased compact.