Used 2002 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

My Troublesome Taurus
By Davarna Rainbolt

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SES with a DOHC engine used in '03. It currently has 104,000 miles on it as I drive a lot. I've had problems like other reviews. Replaced two oxygen sensors at 70,000 miles. Torque converter on the transmission went bad and then a sensor went bad causing a problem that appeared to be the transmission again at 100,000 miles. One window has never worked -- won't pay $200 to fix it. Has new tires and alignment -- still seems to vibrate, lots of wind noise. Looks very sporty and has a powerful engine when running right but I have little faith in this car since it has been undependable compared to other cars I've owned. Depreciated so fast I'm stuck with it for awhile -- hope the troubles are over!

Sporty looking and comfortable. Powerful engine for queen of the road driving.

I hope they have gotten these problems fixed in newer models -- no way I'm buying another Taurus (or any Ford) to find out.

heater problems
By jeni740

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car except the very first day I had it, it started to squeal nonstop like the belt was wet. After multiple trips to the dealer they replaced the belt. Now it is ok. Also my blower just went which is not covered under the warranty, so I have no heat and it is 10 degrees out. Other than that very great car.

Very roomy, seats are very comfortable.

Great Basic Car
By Bill

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 9/05 with 35K on it for $9,100. Has everything you need really. V6, auto, electric, cruise, CD, ABS. Ride great, power good enough, smooth shifting, not bad looking. I've put 30k miles on it in a little over a year and had NO problems other than turning the rotors, which need to be done again. I drive a lot of highway miles and get slightly over 25MPG. Following Ford's manual you need 5/20 Synthetic oil which is a little costly. I love this car. Nothing fancy but a nice ride and decent gas mileage for a V6 and reliable so far (I did buy an extended warranty just in case). Would definitely buy a USED one again. There are so many of them on the street they are a great buy used.

Price! (used) I paid $9,100 for a 2 year old V6 sedan with everything I need with balance of factory warranty. $21k new.

Brakes seem to need a little attention. I've read others with the same issue. Rotors are going in to be cut-turned for the 2nd time in 15 months.

SEL Premium, first car
By Rob

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought a 2002 SEL Premium a month ago. 32k miles. Mine has every single available option, including: leather upholstery, moonroof, 6 disc CD, floor shift, side airbags, spoiler, automatic climate control, traction control, etc. All but the leather and moonroof come standard on the SEL Premium model. So far all I've done is replace the rear brakes. Otherwise, the car is a beauty. No major problems, fast acceleration, only complaint is the gas mileage, it seems lower than the class standards.

Love the front buckets, firm and supportive. Power moonroof is one-touch. Cupholders for everyone!

Gas mileage could be better, but the only major improvement I would make is to tell Ford not to cancel this car.

Not a bad car
By Dan

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Sexy, it isn't. No heads will turn when you drive past, but the Taurus transports my middle aged body in comfort. I have had no problems with this car since I bought it. The only non-routine item I had done was to replace the battery last month. The trunk is very large too.

I like the pick up that the engine provides. Not too bad for a sedan.

None really, car has been super reliable.