Used 2002 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Great Family Car
By Brandy T

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when we were expecting a second child. It's roomy enough for all of us. The trunk has a TON of space. Love the extra features of the SEL, but with the extra power comes less than optimal gas mileage (22 mpg city, 26 hwy). Since I only drive 12-15k/year it's not too big a deal.

Sunroof, truck space, 6 disc CD changer.

I will never buy an American made auto again
By bearls1017

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this auto with 26,000 miles. At 30,000 the check engine light came on. After taking it in to the dealer 6 times, they finally realized the heads needed rebuilding. It had over 36,000 miles on it then. After the fight, they rebuilt with no charge to me. Now, at 70,000 it needs it again. This is a piece of junk and I will never buy an American made car after all this.

Moonroof, great stereo.

Retire the car.

A Lot of Car For The Money
By Todd Morris

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I buy cars for long-term service. I pastor a Baptist Church and drive anywhere from 20-30 thousand miles each year. My Taurus has performed flawlessly. Good power, decent mpg, great comfort, best handling car I have ever owned. It is a fun to drive family sedan, really drives like a sports car. I am thrilled with the car.

The handling and the comfort of ride are in my opinion best in class. I drove the Camry and the Accord before buying the Taurus. In the comfort and handling category the Taurus won hands down in my book.

The only major adjustment that I see needed is improved fuel economy. In the winter things are great with 27-28 mpg. But in summer with A/C running it drops about 2 mpg. Friend has a Buick Century that gets about 30 mpg, but is less comfortable and less fun to drive.

mixed emotions about this car...
By Ed

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus has been a mixed bag of good and bad. Had to have carburetor work done on it, replaced the tires and a battery, have had the brakes serviced twice. Now, the fuel level sensor is going out. May or may not work, and it kicks the check engine light on when it's not working. Was told that repairing that involves not only replacing the sensor, but the fuel pump as well? Hmmm... When I last had it serviced at the 3,000 mile interval, the oil was down a quart. Can't find any leaks, and it doesn't appear to be burning oil. Am also being told that the transmission fluid needs to be replaced, but have heard conflicting advice about the best way to do that. Car has 70,000 miles.

Handles well under most driving conditions. Comfortable, roomy, adequate acceleration

Transmission is slow to respond when taken out of overdrive. Brakes shouldn't need servicing as often. Doesn't warm up in cold weather until it's actually being driven.

02 Taurus SE Sedan
By cab xerro

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have never had a mechanical issue. Great mileage and handling at highway speeds. A very comfortable car.

Interior comfort, low noise at highway speeds, good handling and controls.