Used 2002 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 124 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Awesome Car
By Duane Rosenberry

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus is an awsome car. Love the looks. Gas mileage and performance. I was in an auto accident yesteray and this car is safe. They guy that hit me was in an Honda suv. He hit me hard. The only damage to my car was a quarter size hole in the bumper. They had to bring the hook to take his car away. This Taurus has only 70,000 on it now and the only problem I've had with this car was the cam shaft synchronizer. Excellent car.

Lumbar sets.

More sturdy reflections on the inside of door panels.

The Real Deal
By Eagleman

2002 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ford hit a home run with this one. We now have over 100,000 miles on our loaded 2002 SEL and have put less than $2000 total maintenance (including tires) into the car since we purchased it new. It has been a great smooth and quiet ride through all the years. We get 29 mpg on the hwy going 85 mph or 55 mph. A great road trip vehicle.

A loaded SEL is a posh vehicle affording luxury cheap. Friends with their Beamers and Mercedes don't have anything on this little gem - but of course, the name and price. Extremely peppy little engine in the SEL. Side air bags a bonus.

As with all mid-size sedans, it is a little tight getting into for my large 6'3" 285 lb frame. However, once in it is comfortable. For my wife at 6'0" and 140 lb - perfect.

2002 SE
By JS

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus was purchased off fleet at around 100k miles at a decent price. No major mechanical issues with this car, but many minor repairs considering the high mileage. New transmission seals were needed around 130k, several emissions sensor failures over the 40k (2yrs) that I have driven it, and a camshaft position sensor and sync replacement are the highlights of the repair history. Also suffers from crummy Ford power window syndrome, requiring slow and expensive repair. Handles well for its size, especially at high speeds, but a little stiff at low speeds. Weak engine and squirrely transmission hinder an otherwise competant car which ran me the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Handling (for size) on the highway is excellent, and makes for a very competant long distance car. I do a lot of long distance (1000+ mile) driving, and I really appreciate how well this car tracks even in high winds. Nice big trunk, and tons of headroom for a big guy like myself.

Crummy (drum) brakes and long stopping distance. Lousy brake pedal placement. Column shifter makes using overdrive off position to slow vehicle difficult, hard to work, too. Needed a 2nd gear option. Not enough door side legroom. Rearview mirror makes tight turns dangerous by blocking view. Slow car

2002 Taurus
By GregoryGalllo

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Good car for the money. Water leak by blower motor, trans shifts erratically, and the ride is somewhat rough, but it runs well. I get 22-26 mgg (have gotten 30 on highway only). It is my third Taurus. They're cheap to buy, insure, refuel and operate. Plus, real low on the theft list.

Cup holders.

Great value for the money
By maryland mom

2002 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I bought this car new in Dec. 2001, just before our first child was born. It's been a very functional, reliable car. Not sexy, but then again, no one will ever want to steal it. My husband's parents sold us a Chrysler T&C minivan, which we ended up using as our family car for two years. I preferred that for ease of getting kids in and out. But after the van was destroyed in a car accident we went back to the wagon, and it's quite nice. Also I noticed it's easier to fit groceries in the wagon than the van. No major repairs.

Huge room in the back, optional third row rear-facing seat (wouldn't put a kid there, though). Power everything, leather seats. Nice, reliable ride. Nice 0 to 40 acceleration. Stable in winds, etc.

Get the CD changer out of the back. I know this is moot since Taurus is discontnued. Better acceleration between 40 and 60.