Used 2002 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Most Reliable Car Ever
By bill ward

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used at 27000 miles. I added 116000 mostly highway miles. The car has been flawless - I haven't had to do anything except routine maintenance, with the exception of 1 inexpensive broken anti-sway bar.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable, roomy, big trunk, great car for the money, more than adequate pick-up.

Good Basic Car
By gdub4719

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car to reduce car payments after getting married and having a larger family. I knew it would be a basic car with no image boosting credentials. It is not, but then again I am in my 30's and "grown up" now. The car has served its purpose greatly and I have few complaints. It is my daily commuter and does so perfectly for the price. I had a 1994 Honda Accord in the late 90's that was less reliable than this thing has been! It drives nicer, but it isn't as sporty. It has more features than I had expected; power seats, puddle lamps, etc. It has a very good ride and is easy to maintain. Cheap, cheap on insurance too.

Favorite Features

Low resale value used means I got a great car for a lot less than new and a lot cheaper than a Honda or Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy (average 21-23 mixed). More power for better acceleration.

It's a keeper!
By GMANS97

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Loved this car brand new, but some kids smashed into it while it was parked, and broke the front axle. So now I hear a noise every time I make turns. Gas mpg avg about 21mpg with mixed city/express way. Car has been reliable with only problems being the Fan speed switch has stop working & had malfuntion door ajar one hot summer. Road/wind noise, window's fog up quickly, small/large potholes really send a shiver through car. I have over 47k in 5 yrs and I'm sure this car will last another 10-15yrs easy. It just won't be worth anything in the next 2yrs. This car has been reliable in the worst winters, and is one of the best American cars ever made?

Favorite Features

Large trunk, 6-disc changer, very loud sound system, safety lights under the mirrors, comfort, rear seating space, a/c vents for rear seating, moon roof.

Suggested Improvements

More quiet cabin, shocks need to be able to handle small potholes better, bigger defogger vents for side windows.

Awesome Car
By Duane Rosenberry

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus is an awsome car. Love the looks. Gas mileage and performance. I was in an auto accident yesteray and this car is safe. They guy that hit me was in an Honda suv. He hit me hard. The only damage to my car was a quarter size hole in the bumper. They had to bring the hook to take his car away. This Taurus has only 70,000 on it now and the only problem I've had with this car was the cam shaft synchronizer. Excellent car.

Favorite Features

Lumbar sets.

Suggested Improvements

More sturdy reflections on the inside of door panels.

The Real Deal
By Eagleman

2002 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ford hit a home run with this one. We now have over 100,000 miles on our loaded 2002 SEL and have put less than $2000 total maintenance (including tires) into the car since we purchased it new. It has been a great smooth and quiet ride through all the years. We get 29 mpg on the hwy going 85 mph or 55 mph. A great road trip vehicle.

Favorite Features

A loaded SEL is a posh vehicle affording luxury cheap. Friends with their Beamers and Mercedes don't have anything on this little gem - but of course, the name and price. Extremely peppy little engine in the SEL. Side air bags a bonus.

Suggested Improvements

As with all mid-size sedans, it is a little tight getting into for my large 6'3" 285 lb frame. However, once in it is comfortable. For my wife at 6'0" and 140 lb - perfect.