Used 2002 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Can't think of a better car for the price
By jack

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used with 8,900 miles on it. New price was 21K, I paid 14K. Durotech engine has been great. Just oil changes, air filters, and one tune-up. Front brake pads replaced once, tires replaced once, one wheel alinment. Car now has 80,000 miles on it. Paint still shines, interior is like new, everything still works. No rattles or other noises. Much better car than the Honda I once owned. Very comfortable, handles well, good ride quality. Best part, you can buy them used really cheap unlike overpriced imports.

I like everything about the car.

Disc brakes on rear. A/C could be a little colder. Phoenix gets pretty hot.

So far so good
By dj1096

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Taurus used in '03 with 24K on it. Since I have put another 54k and have had very few problems. The most recent was a water hose that busted. Other then that I haven't had to put much money into it for major repairs (knock on wood). I have all the comforts I wanted (leather, moonroof, spoiler and tinted windows) without having to pay a premium. I average about 21 mpg. The only problm is I lost my a/c a couple years ago and didn't want to pay the $300+ to have it fixed. Otherwise I'm hoping I can drive this for another 5yrs.

Options, reliability, looks

Design, but for the year I can't complain.

Most Reliable Car Ever
By bill ward

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used at 27000 miles. I added 116000 mostly highway miles. The car has been flawless - I haven't had to do anything except routine maintenance, with the exception of 1 inexpensive broken anti-sway bar.

Very comfortable, roomy, big trunk, great car for the money, more than adequate pick-up.

Good Basic Car
By gdub4719

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car to reduce car payments after getting married and having a larger family. I knew it would be a basic car with no image boosting credentials. It is not, but then again I am in my 30's and "grown up" now. The car has served its purpose greatly and I have few complaints. It is my daily commuter and does so perfectly for the price. I had a 1994 Honda Accord in the late 90's that was less reliable than this thing has been! It drives nicer, but it isn't as sporty. It has more features than I had expected; power seats, puddle lamps, etc. It has a very good ride and is easy to maintain. Cheap, cheap on insurance too.

Low resale value used means I got a great car for a lot less than new and a lot cheaper than a Honda or Toyota.

Better fuel economy (average 21-23 mixed). More power for better acceleration.

It's a keeper!
By GMANS97

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Loved this car brand new, but some kids smashed into it while it was parked, and broke the front axle. So now I hear a noise every time I make turns. Gas mpg avg about 21mpg with mixed city/express way. Car has been reliable with only problems being the Fan speed switch has stop working & had malfuntion door ajar one hot summer. Road/wind noise, window's fog up quickly, small/large potholes really send a shiver through car. I have over 47k in 5 yrs and I'm sure this car will last another 10-15yrs easy. It just won't be worth anything in the next 2yrs. This car has been reliable in the worst winters, and is one of the best American cars ever made?

Large trunk, 6-disc changer, very loud sound system, safety lights under the mirrors, comfort, rear seating space, a/c vents for rear seating, moon roof.

More quiet cabin, shocks need to be able to handle small potholes better, bigger defogger vents for side windows.