Used 2002 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

2002 Ford Taurus LX (3.0L V6)
By Wilson

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First new car for the family. Have now 106,800 miles on it. Besides regular maintenance the only item that has failed was the starter at 106K. Other than that is been just regular oil changes, an a tune up at 106K. Easy to drive, comfortable. We have taken it on many long trips and has always performed very well. We get about 26 miles per gallon on the highway, about 23 in city driving.

Good overall car. Can fit 5 adults with no problem. Trunk is very spacious and looks good on the road. The Duratec 3.0L 12 valve engine has performed great.

Put anti-lock brakes in all models. LX model came with standard brakes.

Excellent Car
By Craig

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I puchased by Taurus new with 14 miles on it and I currently have just shy of 150,000 miles on the odometer. The only thing that has went bad was a door lock actuator that was replaced under warranty at about 60k miles (bought extended warranty). Take care of the filters and change the plugs/wires at 100k and these cars will last you a long time as they are very reliable.

Good practical car
By Mike

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The main advantage to this car is the price. I bought this car almost 2 years ago and have had very few problems (knock on wood) and it only cost me $7000 to buy. The comparable Toyota Camry and Honda Accords were going for $14,000 for a 2002 and in my opinion this car looks as nice if not nicer than those two. Also I have leather seats, and a more comfortable ride I believe. Plus it seems more like a luxury car than the two I just mentioned. I think its a status thing that some people feel they have to have a foreign car, but to me it wasn't worth spending an extra $7000 just for I could have a foreign nameplate on the trunk.

Comfortable ride, price.

Turning circle is very wide. I have to back up a few times before getting into a parking space.

2002 Taurus SES
By GreginCT

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in 2006 with 47K. In 2 years, I've driven it 40,000 miles. Cam shaft synchronizer, water leaking into blower motor and warping rotors have been the problem. Otherwise, starts and runs fine. I get 23-24 mpg city and 25-27 all around. I've gotten 30 mpg on the highway in winter time. Cheap to buy, run, insure and fuel. As someone earlier pointed out, it's not exactly the target for car thieves. Good, reliable, low cost transportation. My third Taurus. Buy this car and spend your money on other things.

Leather interior, puddle lights, cup holders, good mpg.

Water leak Ford refused to fix which craps out blower motors and will rot out floor pans over time. Warping rotors.

Never Thought A Ford
By Your_Honor

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my Acura MDX because I was driving 45 miles one way to work. The dealer tallked me into buying the Taurus. I never thought I would own an American car, but it's been a year and I've put 38,000 miles on my car and the most I've spent was 150 on a hose that only the dealer sold. I've driven my car from Atlanta to Connecticut twice, and to Houston Texas and back. Never has this car let me down! But on long trips the drivers seat is very uncomfortable, the gas mileage is not that great at all, the body leans heavy when cornering, and the the transmission can't keep up with the powerful engine. Eat my dust Honda!

CD changer, auto-climate, sound system as long as you keep it under 3 notches or else it just gets loud and not as clear, mud lamps, keypad, adjustable pedals.

Gas, shuffle on stereo, transmission matching, and brakes