2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Never Thought A Ford
By Your_Honor on 08/19/08 16:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my Acura MDX because I was driving 45 miles one way to work. The dealer tallked me into buying the Taurus. I never thought I would own an American car, but it's been a year and I've put 38,000 miles on my car and the most I've spent was 150 on a hose that only the dealer sold. I've driven my car from Atlanta to Connecticut twice, and to Houston Texas and back. Never has this car let me down! But on long trips the drivers seat is very uncomfortable, the gas mileage is not that great at all, the body leans heavy when cornering, and the the transmission can't keep up with the powerful engine. Eat my dust Honda!

Can't think of a better car for the price
By jack on 08/06/08 08:56 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used with 8,900 miles on it. New price was 21K, I paid 14K. Durotech engine has been great. Just oil changes, air filters, and one tune-up. Front brake pads replaced once, tires replaced once, one wheel alinment. Car now has 80,000 miles on it. Paint still shines, interior is like new, everything still works. No rattles or other noises. Much better car than the Honda I once owned. Very comfortable, handles well, good ride quality. Best part, you can buy them used really cheap unlike overpriced imports.

So far so good
By dj1096 on 07/24/08 05:55 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Taurus used in '03 with 24K on it. Since I have put another 54k and have had very few problems. The most recent was a water hose that busted. Other then that I haven't had to put much money into it for major repairs (knock on wood). I have all the comforts I wanted (leather, moonroof, spoiler and tinted windows) without having to pay a premium. I average about 21 mpg. The only problm is I lost my a/c a couple years ago and didn't want to pay the $300+ to have it fixed. Otherwise I'm hoping I can drive this for another 5yrs.

Most Reliable Car Ever
By bill ward on 07/20/08 11:58 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used at 27000 miles. I added 116000 mostly highway miles. The car has been flawless - I haven't had to do anything except routine maintenance, with the exception of 1 inexpensive broken anti-sway bar.

Good Basic Car
By gdub4719 on 05/23/08 09:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car to reduce car payments after getting married and having a larger family. I knew it would be a basic car with no image boosting credentials. It is not, but then again I am in my 30's and "grown up" now. The car has served its purpose greatly and I have few complaints. It is my daily commuter and does so perfectly for the price. I had a 1994 Honda Accord in the late 90's that was less reliable than this thing has been! It drives nicer, but it isn't as sporty. It has more features than I had expected; power seats, puddle lamps, etc. It has a very good ride and is easy to maintain. Cheap, cheap on insurance too.

It's a keeper!
By GMANS97 on 03/06/08 23:44 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Loved this car brand new, but some kids smashed into it while it was parked, and broke the front axle. So now I hear a noise every time I make turns. Gas mpg avg about 21mpg with mixed city/express way. Car has been reliable with only problems being the Fan speed switch has stop working & had malfuntion door ajar one hot summer. Road/wind noise, window's fog up quickly, small/large potholes really send a shiver through car. I have over 47k in 5 yrs and I'm sure this car will last another 10-15yrs easy. It just won't be worth anything in the next 2yrs. This car has been reliable in the worst winters, and is one of the best American cars ever made?

Awesome Car
By Duane Rosenberry on 02/02/08 17:00 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus is an awsome car. Love the looks. Gas mileage and performance. I was in an auto accident yesteray and this car is safe. They guy that hit me was in an Honda suv. He hit me hard. The only damage to my car was a quarter size hole in the bumper. They had to bring the hook to take his car away. This Taurus has only 70,000 on it now and the only problem I've had with this car was the cam shaft synchronizer. Excellent car.

The Real Deal
By Eagleman on 08/21/07 00:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ford hit a home run with this one. We now have over 100,000 miles on our loaded 2002 SEL and have put less than $2000 total maintenance (including tires) into the car since we purchased it new. It has been a great smooth and quiet ride through all the years. We get 29 mpg on the hwy going 85 mph or 55 mph. A great road trip vehicle.

2002 SE
By JS on 06/04/07 17:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus was purchased off fleet at around 100k miles at a decent price. No major mechanical issues with this car, but many minor repairs considering the high mileage. New transmission seals were needed around 130k, several emissions sensor failures over the 40k (2yrs) that I have driven it, and a camshaft position sensor and sync replacement are the highlights of the repair history. Also suffers from crummy Ford power window syndrome, requiring slow and expensive repair. Handles well for its size, especially at high speeds, but a little stiff at low speeds. Weak engine and squirrely transmission hinder an otherwise competant car which ran me the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

2002 Taurus
By GregoryGalllo on 05/09/07 10:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Good car for the money. Water leak by blower motor, trans shifts erratically, and the ride is somewhat rough, but it runs well. I get 22-26 mgg (have gotten 30 on highway only). It is my third Taurus. They're cheap to buy, insure, refuel and operate. Plus, real low on the theft list.