Used 2002 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

6 years and 60k miles later
By mikepm

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My mom bought this car for me when I was in college and it's fairly comfortable to drive. Maintenance wise, atleast $300 per year in the things that had to be fixed. That's not including the things that are currently wrong with it and too expensive to fix. Had a mechanic tell me he loved Fords and Chevy's because he makes so much money off them (from repairs)

Suggested Improvements

Reliability and quality.

Ford Taurus, Bad decision
By INDYLAC

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Every Ford Taurus I have ever owned, ( I've owned three unfortunately) have emission system failure. It is extremely costly. Although you can drive the car until its last legs, it will continue to deteriorate without any hopes of getting it fixed. Every diagnostics is different went attempting to repair it. Sensors, intake valves, exhaust. You name it. The car hesitates and will not go. Not even Ford is able to completely fix this defect and when I Google it nobody else does. If you buy one it might be great for about a year, sell it fast!

Boring is good
By richard risatti

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Taurus and it's even more reliable than my 98 was. It has 114k on it and only problem was a starter at about 110k. The wagon is not as comfortable for a tall person as the sedan. Seems as though they had to move the seats up a little for more room in the back. Was the perfect car for servicing copiers, lots of room and easy access for parts, plus the door handles and locks have held up well on the job.

Favorite Features

Very reliable

Suggested Improvements

better defroster

Trusty but Rusty
By Jerame

2002 Ford Taurus SES Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my 2002 Ford Taurus for the past 6 years and have 123,000 miles on it and can say it has been a comfortable and dependable car to this point. I had to replace the front rotors at about 90k and have both ball joints replaced in the front end, but outside of that it is a good daily driver. Be careful to watch above the rear fenders for rust as it likes to start from the inside, I found out that they tend to rust very easily due to not being sealed well at the factory, mine didn't show rust until 6 months outside of the 6 year body warranty and the factory would not help. Overall I like to exterior looks and smooth lines, but the rust is getting worse.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, nice interior layout, dependable.

Suggested Improvements

Do a better job sealing the rear fenders from rusting from the inside out. Improve the front end ball joints and rotors to last longer.

2002 Ford Taurus SE
By Kris

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had my Taurus for about 3 years now the first two years I haven't had anything major done on it besides brakes and oil changes, the last two months I had nothing but troubles with it starting from engine sensors (camshaft) fuel pump , car would die wiring electrical problems, transmission went out completely had to tow it to the dealer I have 85K on it, and I never abuse the car its very well maintained! I may switch to a Japanese car for better reliability

Favorite Features

cruise control, pretty good traction in the snow for being fwd, heavy car , feels safe

Suggested Improvements

better quality parts more reliable! maybe in the next Taurus models