Used 2002 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Lots of problems
By cbn4equine

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm 19 now and as a first car, it was alright. My "trans axle" light came on regularly with no known cause. Hoses came loose causing A/C not to be cold. Last fall I ended up hydroplaning on a main highway. I was (idiotically) not wearing my seat belt when I hit water, lost control, and hit the guardrail on both ends of my car. I spun 360 then 180 and landed in front of the exit sign going 295S to 64E. Luckily, I was not hurt. I tried to turn the car back on, but the wreck completely destroyed the front. One thing that stuck out was that the airbags never deployed when I hit the guardrail and began spinning. If you consider yourself a safe driver then this car may be a good fit.

Favorite Features

seats 6 people, middle console can be transformed. back seat flips down to reach trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

maintenance light problems

Reliable and efficient car
By codynight26

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES FFV 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This Taurus is a great little car that does everything asked of it. It has over 128,000 miles and all we have done besides regular maintinence is replace the battery and fix some dents. It has withstood driving gravel roads every single day. The V6 engine offers enough power but is also fuel efficient. Edmunds says 25 highway, i get 26. Its not the most luxurious car, but it is great for a family car or a school car. If you need an inexpensive car to use as a family vehicle, this car is definitly worth a look.

Favorite Features

Decent fuel efficiency, fairly fun to drive, roomy for a sedan, decent stereo system, good value.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortale seats, improve the cruise control.

170000k and still going
By powemicj

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Title says it all

Favorite Features

none this model no longer made

Suggested Improvements

none

Big Blue
By ravens_fan010

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car went to me from my grandma and I couldn't be more happy with it! Honestly, I had considered selling this car at first (with the few miles and its good condition, it could get a good price), but after a year of owning it, I must say, I couldn't get rid of it now. My younger sister loves going for rides my car, and I became so attached to it that I even gave it a name! The only issue I had was an antifreeze leak because my grandma barely ever drove it, so most of its nine years of life was spent in the garage; and the gas gauge isn't entirely correct, but other than that, no major problems. Great, reliable sedan; I recommend it for almost anyone.

Favorite Features

It drives very smooth, the sound system is awesome, and my friend -- a GM person at heart -- admits the Taurus is a nice ride. A sleek, attractive exterior, in my opinion (much nicer than its 1999 ancestors), beautiful metallic paint, and a sheltered life has kept the headlights sparkling clear.

Suggested Improvements

All I would change is the CD player - wish it could play more than one disc at a time, but I believe there's an upgrade for that.

6 years and 60k miles later
By mikepm

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My mom bought this car for me when I was in college and it's fairly comfortable to drive. Maintenance wise, atleast $300 per year in the things that had to be fixed. That's not including the things that are currently wrong with it and too expensive to fix. Had a mechanic tell me he loved Fords and Chevy's because he makes so much money off them (from repairs)

Suggested Improvements

Reliability and quality.