2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Trusty but Rusty
By Jerame on 04/30/10 14:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my 2002 Ford Taurus for the past 6 years and have 123,000 miles on it and can say it has been a comfortable and dependable car to this point. I had to replace the front rotors at about 90k and have both ball joints replaced in the front end, but outside of that it is a good daily driver. Be careful to watch above the rear fenders for rust as it likes to start from the inside, I found out that they tend to rust very easily due to not being sealed well at the factory, mine didn't show rust until 6 months outside of the 6 year body warranty and the factory would not help. Overall I like to exterior looks and smooth lines, but the rust is getting worse.

2002 Ford Taurus SE
By Kris on 03/16/10 21:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had my Taurus for about 3 years now the first two years I haven't had anything major done on it besides brakes and oil changes, the last two months I had nothing but troubles with it starting from engine sensors (camshaft) fuel pump , car would die wiring electrical problems, transmission went out completely had to tow it to the dealer I have 85K on it, and I never abuse the car its very well maintained! I may switch to a Japanese car for better reliability

It always starts!
By Kristen E. on 05/29/09 23:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this car from the original owner. We have had to replace shocks, sway bars, and a wheel bearing at 100,000 miles and have had to machine the rotors twice over the past 25,000 miles. Other than the somewhat pricey repairs, we have enjoyed this car. Nothing special about it really, but it always turns over, even in our sub-zero Wisconsin winters. We have taken this car all over the Midwest, and it handles well on the Interstate, even in heavy snow. In fact, it handles the snow better than our AWD Trailblazer did. Our model definitely lacks in pick-up, but it's not like we bought a station wagon for sheer performance. As far as fuel economy, it beats any mini-van of that model year

best vehicle we ever owned
By love it on 04/24/09 07:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

it now has 209,000 miles we bought it for mail route no console shift full bench seats which makes it easy to reach mail boxes, We have done brakes 2 times, tires 2 times serpintine belt 1 time uses no oil runs like it did the day we bought it goes in snow front wheel drive heater and ac work great so we got our money out of this vehicle for sure we all so own 2 honda crv which are all so excellent vehicles for mail routes etc so yes the Ford has been great and still is excellent way to go Ford if the other owners are claiming all the problems they state , Well its hard to belive,

keeps on going and going and going
By checkemoutgood on 04/22/09 05:12 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

bought it with 256 miles on it now it has 207,000 no problems what so ever just tires brakes etc common maintence we use it for rural mail delivery dones not use oil still runs and drives like the day we bought it never a tranny problem we will keep it till she dies and that may be some time away we used Honda CRV we had 2 of them because they have no console we set in the senter had to reove cup holder we still use a CRV in winter because of the 4/wd drive and Indiana snow storms, This Tarus has been great starts in sub 0 temps and goes great in snow as long as its not real deep way to go Ford

2002 Ford Taurus LX (3.0L V6)
By Wilson on 02/11/09 14:16 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First new car for the family. Have now 106,800 miles on it. Besides regular maintenance the only item that has failed was the starter at 106K. Other than that is been just regular oil changes, an a tune up at 106K. Easy to drive, comfortable. We have taken it on many long trips and has always performed very well. We get about 26 miles per gallon on the highway, about 23 in city driving.

Great Ford!
By Jonathan on 12/11/08 08:06 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love the looks of this Ford Wagon design. It doesn't seem to age. The Gold color has grown on me, and now i like it. The car is reliable, excellent in all weather conditions (especially snow). Tons of room for kids, dump and coming home from Home Depot. Roof rack works excellent. It runs smoothly, I aways feel in control, has plenty of power when I need it. I'm bummed Ford no longer makes the wagon! I'd buy another in a second. I'd hightly recommend this wagon!

Excellent Car
By Craig on 12/06/08 23:36 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I puchased by Taurus new with 14 miles on it and I currently have just shy of 150,000 miles on the odometer. The only thing that has went bad was a door lock actuator that was replaced under warranty at about 60k miles (bought extended warranty). Take care of the filters and change the plugs/wires at 100k and these cars will last you a long time as they are very reliable.

Good practical car
By Mike on 12/04/08 06:37 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The main advantage to this car is the price. I bought this car almost 2 years ago and have had very few problems (knock on wood) and it only cost me $7000 to buy. The comparable Toyota Camry and Honda Accords were going for $14,000 for a 2002 and in my opinion this car looks as nice if not nicer than those two. Also I have leather seats, and a more comfortable ride I believe. Plus it seems more like a luxury car than the two I just mentioned. I think its a status thing that some people feel they have to have a foreign car, but to me it wasn't worth spending an extra $7000 just for I could have a foreign nameplate on the trunk.

2002 Taurus SES
By GreginCT on 08/25/08 15:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in 2006 with 47K. In 2 years, I've driven it 40,000 miles. Cam shaft synchronizer, water leaking into blower motor and warping rotors have been the problem. Otherwise, starts and runs fine. I get 23-24 mpg city and 25-27 all around. I've gotten 30 mpg on the highway in winter time. Cheap to buy, run, insure and fuel. As someone earlier pointed out, it's not exactly the target for car thieves. Good, reliable, low cost transportation. My third Taurus. Buy this car and spend your money on other things.