Used 2002 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Great Car
By #1Ford

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have over 80,000 miles on the car and have only had minor repairs on the trim over the door. Other than that the car has been maintenance free, and gets 29 mpg, We drive it 40 miles one way to work every day, and would love to see Ford keep it in their lineup and not replace it.

Favorite Features

Seats 6, rides. We like the adjustable pedals, and it is very dependable.

Suggested Improvements

More head room in the front seats, and keep making it instead of replacing it.

Great Car
By Tom Battiato

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The most comfortable and reliable car I have ever owned. Outside of regular maintenance (I change the oil religiously), the only problems I have had were a dead battery (the heat in Florida saps them), and a nail in a tire. This was the best purchase I have ever made, especially for the reasonable price.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, styling, color.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little better gas mileage.

WHAT A DEAL
By Les

2002 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Taurus used, 1.5 years old, with warranty, for less than half the price of a new one. The biggest surprise was decent handling, even better than my '00 Acura TL (before I changed springs). Lots of room inside, good fuel economy with smaller engine. Something of rarity these days, no ABS, I love it, especially on snow. For some reason there are no aftermarket parts, like lower springs, better shocks, but stock is not so bad. No ridiculous gap between fenders and wheels. My recommendation - get a used one from rental fleet, you'll save tons of money. With 65,000 miles on it, all I've changed was brake pads (twice), tires (3 sets), and ball joints. The car is driven hard and fast, almost problem free.

Favorite Features

Large interior, good handling, decent fuel economy, cheap to insure and repair, no ABS, six passenger seating, huge tank, 16" wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission is horrible. Slow to downshift, fast to upshift, takes a lot of fun away from the car. Offer a manual (with clutch), there is no law against it. Offer harder springs as option, better headlights.

I've had better.
By DalNLS

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nice car with tan leather; Arizona Beige paint is beautiful. The 12 valve "Vulcan V6" is an absolute nightmare for passing power.

Favorite Features

Light tan leather, Dash lay out, Pretty good winter traction even without traction control feature.

Suggested Improvements

More power for 12 valve! Transmission is down right sloppy, vibrates on rolling hills, steering wheel shakes, even with brand new Triple Tread tires, and after two alignments, Cheap rear drum brakes. I miss my Lincoln TownCar! Leather on driver's seat had to have a "facelift" because of sagging.

O2 SEL
By J Tate

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

OK tranportation, but value after buying falls too quickly.Bought for 20k now with 38K miles it's worth $7600. No thanks Ford, not again. The self dimming rear view mirrow is more of nunance than value, doesn't dim enough. Could of used disk brakes on rear instead of drum. If you buy one, get it used and save yourself the loss of value.

Favorite Features

I can drive down the highway and see them more common than flies.

Suggested Improvements

Don't make this model any more.