2002 Ford Taurus SE Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Taurus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Sort Reviews by

Boring is good
By richard risatti

2002 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Taurus and it's even more reliable than my 98 was. It has 114k on it and only problem was a starter at about 110k. The wagon is not as comfortable for a tall person as the sedan. Seems as though they had to move the seats up a little for more room in the back. Was the perfect car for servicing copiers, lots of room and easy access for parts, plus the door handles and locks have held up well on the job.

Favorite Features

Very reliable

Suggested Improvements

better defroster

It always starts!
By Kristen E.

2002 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this car from the original owner. We have had to replace shocks, sway bars, and a wheel bearing at 100,000 miles and have had to machine the rotors twice over the past 25,000 miles. Other than the somewhat pricey repairs, we have enjoyed this car. Nothing special about it really, but it always turns over, even in our sub-zero Wisconsin winters. We have taken this car all over the Midwest, and it handles well on the Interstate, even in heavy snow. In fact, it handles the snow better than our AWD Trailblazer did. Our model definitely lacks in pick-up, but it's not like we bought a station wagon for sheer performance. As far as fuel economy, it beats any mini-van of that model year

Favorite Features

Third row seating.

Suggested Improvements

Separate comfort controls for driver and passenger, heat/air conditioning vents for that comfort of rear-seat passengers. With all the glass, this car gets HOT after sitting in the sun for any length of time.

Great Ford!
By Jonathan

2002 Ford Taurus Wagon SEL Deluxe 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love the looks of this Ford Wagon design. It doesn't seem to age. The Gold color has grown on me, and now i like it. The car is reliable, excellent in all weather conditions (especially snow). Tons of room for kids, dump and coming home from Home Depot. Roof rack works excellent. It runs smoothly, I aways feel in control, has plenty of power when I need it. I'm bummed Ford no longer makes the wagon! I'd buy another in a second. I'd hightly recommend this wagon!

Favorite Features

The traction, the looks, the reliability, never needs much maintenance. Must have been a car not built on a Monday or Friday!

Suggested Improvements

Brakes have always seem to be noisy and not as smooth as they should be. Heat takes a while to get hot (in cold winter).

Great value for the money
By maryland mom

2002 Ford Taurus Wagon SEL Deluxe 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I bought this car new in Dec. 2001, just before our first child was born. It's been a very functional, reliable car. Not sexy, but then again, no one will ever want to steal it. My husband's parents sold us a Chrysler T&C minivan, which we ended up using as our family car for two years. I preferred that for ease of getting kids in and out. But after the van was destroyed in a car accident we went back to the wagon, and it's quite nice. Also I noticed it's easier to fit groceries in the wagon than the van. No major repairs.

Favorite Features

Huge room in the back, optional third row rear-facing seat (wouldn't put a kid there, though). Power everything, leather seats. Nice, reliable ride. Nice 0 to 40 acceleration. Stable in winds, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Get the CD changer out of the back. I know this is moot since Taurus is discontnued. Better acceleration between 40 and 60.

Lots of Bang for the Buck
By Mike

2002 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used with 18K for $10,500. Car has 42K now and it has been a very reliable and solid car. No major problems so far. It rides great, solid feel, firm almost sporty handling for a wagon. Quiet on highway and good mpg. I average 22 city/hwy without trying. Looked at SUVs before buying but the price was about 5K more. I use it mostly for business, constantly loading paper in and out (I own a printing company). Even with 800lbs of paper it handles sound ly with no surprises.This car is not sexy or fast but if you want to get around with lots of stuff or a family and not spend a fortune then it's worth looking into. Overall I am very satisfied. This car is a good fit for my needs.

Favorite Features

Great seats, very comfy even after hours on the road. Interior is very large. I can hold more than some of my friends with SUVs can. Still quiet and solid with 42K, no rattles or shakes. I like the looks for a wagon. Lots of creature comforts, can't think of any other options that didn't come with car.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission shifts poorly, Talked to several techs at dealer and it's the nature of the beast. Most of the time it's fine but it seems confused now and then and can't find a happy spot. Guess I'm used to my Caravan. It's very smooth in comparison. Rest of the car is fine.

Great Car
By #1Ford

2002 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have over 80,000 miles on the car and have only had minor repairs on the trim over the door. Other than that the car has been maintenance free, and gets 29 mpg, We drive it 40 miles one way to work every day, and would love to see Ford keep it in their lineup and not replace it.

Favorite Features

Seats 6, rides. We like the adjustable pedals, and it is very dependable.

Suggested Improvements

More head room in the front seats, and keep making it instead of replacing it.

Ford Taurus Wagon
By grandad9

2002 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Ford Taurus Wagon has been an excellent car--except for a MAP sensor that had to be replaced. No other problems. I wonder about the power antenna that goes up and down every time the radio/CD is turned on or the engine is started and shut off. How many times will that cycle before failure--it seems unnecessary. The car is roomy, can carry bulky items with no problem The 24V 3.0 is a good engine, it has good pickup and responds well in traffic--no complaints. Good gas mileage for a mid-size wagon--about 26 highway, 20 or so city.

Favorite Features

I like the styling, but while the slope of the windshield looks good, it presents a bit of a problem with headroom. Cup holders are handy, front and rear. Good sound system for the Radio/CD player.

Suggested Improvements

Moot point, car is being discontinued-- too bad--would have been better to upgrade the design, maybe offered AWD as an option. Taurus has been a good model for Ford.

A great reliable car
By gigfy60

2002 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have owned this wagon for over two years and all I have do so far as maintainance is change the oil and filter.It is a solid vehicle that does its job very well.

Favorite Features

If you consider one of these cars,get the power pedals,they are well worth it. The courtesy lights on the outside mirrors should be included in every Ford vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Better choice of colors.the armrest console was better in the 96-99 models

Better than an SUV
By LouisF

2002 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

As a single 40-year-old male, I resisted the idea of buying a wagon initially. The prospect of almost doubling my fuel mileage, while actually gaining cargo space gave me the push to try it. Having lived with it for more than a year, I wouldn't go back to an SUV ever again. The Taurus wagon handles so much better, gets so much better mileage, holds more stuff and is a much better value than any SUV in its price range. I'm a true believer, though I still wouldn't call it a babe magnet.

Favorite Features

Great A/C and stereo, virtually maintenance-free service.

Suggested Improvements

Use better-quality brake rotors, which have a tendency to warp. I've had them machined twice already.

A Lot to Love
By lewme

2002 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Since this car is used as a sales rep's vehicle, it's racked up over 40k miles in less than a year. It's all been in comfort and without any problems. The seats are the most comfortable in any car I've owned--even after 8 hours behind the wheel. The driver's "dead pedal" makes for a very comfortable driving position. The A/C is powerful and the stereo sounds great.

Favorite Features

Superb seats, great A/C.

Suggested Improvements

Shifter handle is just ugly (it's the little things...). Brakes squeal.