Used 2002 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Excellent Car
By Craig

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I puchased by Taurus new with 14 miles on it and I currently have just shy of 150,000 miles on the odometer. The only thing that has went bad was a door lock actuator that was replaced under warranty at about 60k miles (bought extended warranty). Take care of the filters and change the plugs/wires at 100k and these cars will last you a long time as they are very reliable.

Never Thought A Ford
By Your_Honor

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my Acura MDX because I was driving 45 miles one way to work. The dealer tallked me into buying the Taurus. I never thought I would own an American car, but it's been a year and I've put 38,000 miles on my car and the most I've spent was 150 on a hose that only the dealer sold. I've driven my car from Atlanta to Connecticut twice, and to Houston Texas and back. Never has this car let me down! But on long trips the drivers seat is very uncomfortable, the gas mileage is not that great at all, the body leans heavy when cornering, and the the transmission can't keep up with the powerful engine. Eat my dust Honda!

Favorite Features

CD changer, auto-climate, sound system as long as you keep it under 3 notches or else it just gets loud and not as clear, mud lamps, keypad, adjustable pedals.

Suggested Improvements

Gas, shuffle on stereo, transmission matching, and brakes

The Real Deal
By Eagleman

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ford hit a home run with this one. We now have over 100,000 miles on our loaded 2002 SEL and have put less than $2000 total maintenance (including tires) into the car since we purchased it new. It has been a great smooth and quiet ride through all the years. We get 29 mpg on the hwy going 85 mph or 55 mph. A great road trip vehicle.

Favorite Features

A loaded SEL is a posh vehicle affording luxury cheap. Friends with their Beamers and Mercedes don't have anything on this little gem - but of course, the name and price. Extremely peppy little engine in the SEL. Side air bags a bonus.

Suggested Improvements

As with all mid-size sedans, it is a little tight getting into for my large 6'3" 285 lb frame. However, once in it is comfortable. For my wife at 6'0" and 140 lb - perfect.

2nd Taurus, Never Happier
By gmercedesbenz

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my baby in March of '07 with 74k on her. Its been 2 months, I've taken her to Long Island and Virgina, with no problems at all. Only had to replace a sway bar link when I first got her, under dealer warranty. My SEL is loaded with ever option. Highly suggested for a college commuter, it will get you there, and look good when you get there!

Favorite Features

DOHC V6 with 200 ponies. One touch open sunroof, power pedals, huge trunk. A lot of car for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Just try and make the interior materials a little more durable. And add rear disk brakes on the sedan!

Great Family Car
By Brandy T

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when we were expecting a second child. It's roomy enough for all of us. The trunk has a TON of space. Love the extra features of the SEL, but with the extra power comes less than optimal gas mileage (22 mpg city, 26 hwy). Since I only drive 12-15k/year it's not too big a deal.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, truck space, 6 disc CD changer.