Used 2002 Ford Taurus SES Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Lots of problems
By cbn4equine

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm 19 now and as a first car, it was alright. My "trans axle" light came on regularly with no known cause. Hoses came loose causing A/C not to be cold. Last fall I ended up hydroplaning on a main highway. I was (idiotically) not wearing my seat belt when I hit water, lost control, and hit the guardrail on both ends of my car. I spun 360 then 180 and landed in front of the exit sign going 295S to 64E. Luckily, I was not hurt. I tried to turn the car back on, but the wreck completely destroyed the front. One thing that stuck out was that the airbags never deployed when I hit the guardrail and began spinning. If you consider yourself a safe driver then this car may be a good fit.

Favorite Features

seats 6 people, middle console can be transformed. back seat flips down to reach trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

maintenance light problems

170000k and still going
By powemicj

Title says it all

Favorite Features

none this model no longer made

Suggested Improvements

none

Good practical car
By Mike

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The main advantage to this car is the price. I bought this car almost 2 years ago and have had very few problems (knock on wood) and it only cost me $7000 to buy. The comparable Toyota Camry and Honda Accords were going for $14,000 for a 2002 and in my opinion this car looks as nice if not nicer than those two. Also I have leather seats, and a more comfortable ride I believe. Plus it seems more like a luxury car than the two I just mentioned. I think its a status thing that some people feel they have to have a foreign car, but to me it wasn't worth spending an extra $7000 just for I could have a foreign nameplate on the trunk.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, price.

Suggested Improvements

Turning circle is very wide. I have to back up a few times before getting into a parking space.

2002 Taurus SES
By GreginCT

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in 2006 with 47K. In 2 years, I've driven it 40,000 miles. Cam shaft synchronizer, water leaking into blower motor and warping rotors have been the problem. Otherwise, starts and runs fine. I get 23-24 mpg city and 25-27 all around. I've gotten 30 mpg on the highway in winter time. Cheap to buy, run, insure and fuel. As someone earlier pointed out, it's not exactly the target for car thieves. Good, reliable, low cost transportation. My third Taurus. Buy this car and spend your money on other things.

Favorite Features

Leather interior, puddle lights, cup holders, good mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Water leak Ford refused to fix which craps out blower motors and will rot out floor pans over time. Warping rotors.

Can't think of a better car for the price
By jack

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used with 8,900 miles on it. New price was 21K, I paid 14K. Durotech engine has been great. Just oil changes, air filters, and one tune-up. Front brake pads replaced once, tires replaced once, one wheel alinment. Car now has 80,000 miles on it. Paint still shines, interior is like new, everything still works. No rattles or other noises. Much better car than the Honda I once owned. Very comfortable, handles well, good ride quality. Best part, you can buy them used really cheap unlike overpriced imports.

Favorite Features

I like everything about the car.

Suggested Improvements

Disc brakes on rear. A/C could be a little colder. Phoenix gets pretty hot.