Used 2002 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Most Unreliable Car in History
By katoht

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a nightmare since day one. My parents bought this car used in 2004, two years after the car was released. Within a year of owning it, the transmission blew and needed to be replaced. The interior paneling on the doors has fallen off completely. The rocker panels underneath the car are extremely susceptible to rust; they rusted through completely and fell off of this car entirely. The rear passenger side window never closed fully. There has always been an oil leak that our mechanics are unsure of the cause. There is oil leaking into the exhaust. The AC is broken and no longer works. The fly wheel ground against the starter, destroying the gears. Overall, a nightmare to own.

2002 SES
By dom52

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car replaced my 2001 Oldsmobile Alero and i couldn't be happier. I bought this car at 179,000+ as of late last year and up until now i have added 5,000+ miles. This car is equipped with the Duratec 30 engine, and the AX4N automatic transmission. Both are in pristine condition and show no signs of failing. Appropriate driving habits and maintenance, this car will last. Change the oil frequently(use whatever is shown on the oil cap), change filters, etc. and this car will be reliable. Another tip: Use the E brake(a peddle with a handle release) before setting the car in Park, less stress on the transmission.

Love the engine, 200HP is really all someone needs. Power seats, adjustable peddles, etc.

None.

198K miles, still going - did I get lucky?
By newvegasnerd

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I inherited the family car as my first car, and I couldn't have asked for more out of it. It has gotten me from point A to point B 20 miles and back everyday for almost two years now, and it is showing no sign of slowing down. All the meat and potatoes of this car are original, engine, tranny, etc.
Nothing big has ever been replaced. It is a heavy car; it absorbs the road well. Not a very good snow car - it is a heavy sedan without anything stellar to help it out in the snow/ice. Excessive road salt has started to rot out underneath the doors and the wheel wells - no stopping that. All in all if you can find one of these used cheap with somewhat low mileage, it makes a perfect first car.

It can haul if you need it to, thanks to the V6. Speaking of, even when doing so, I still "rock" ~22-23 miles per gallon. Not bad for an old V6! Nice and big sedan can fit a lot of people, too - 4 very comfortably, and 6 if you really want to. Absorbs road well. Intuitive cruise control and radio setup. A/C is awesome. Power windows/mirrors/seats are a luxury for a first car.

Brakes are pretty bad, front discs and real drums. Upgrade the brakes if you feel like it - this heavy beast takes a while to completely stop quickly. Maybe I'm just pampered driving my mom's 2011 Altima. Heavy + Bad Brakes = not a good snow car. Speakers aren't hardcore, don't go pumping these too hard, people will laugh at you. I'm at the point where I'm doing a lot of little repairs to the car, but it's still cheaper than doing monthly payments on a new/leased compact.

Comfotable, Reliable, Very Strong Engine and Drivtrain
By rochev

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had two Taurus's. Neither have ever given me a single issue. My '02 SE has 175,000 miles of trouble free driving.
People complain about the transmission but they don't change the fluid and filter like you're supposed to. I have done that every 30k miles and haven't had an issue on either. My last one died at 180k miles when it was totaled. It is missed every day. This car always starts even well below 0 degrees (F) nothing rattles, interior build has held up since new. Only down side I can think of is these cars have weak struts. Other than that, if you change the transmission fluid like you should, you'll have one of the most reliable cars built.

Puddle lights, Alarm, keyless entry, 4 wheel ABS brakes, 24 MPG with a heavy foot.

Better struts, rear disk brakes and not drum. (PIA to change when rusty)

Piece of junk
By scawvey

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got my Taurus new and after a year the adjustable pedals quit working and my air bag light came on and is still on 11 years later.
I have had lots of work done to the underneath of my car (almost everything replaced) and it still shakes, rattles, pings, and knocks from underneath.
I hate driving this car!
It is terrible and It eats tires every year.
The engine has given no trouble, but
crappy underneath the car.
I have also had trouble with the heater hose stopping up and going a winter or two with no heat.
It pulls to the right pretty bad, I let go of the wheel for a second and it's gone over to the other side of the road.
And now it's leaking oil somewhere.
What next???

There are no features, pretty boring

Everything underneath