Used 2002 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Most Helpful|
Good practical car
By Mike

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The main advantage to this car is the price. I bought this car almost 2 years ago and have had very few problems (knock on wood) and it only cost me $7000 to buy. The comparable Toyota Camry and Honda Accords were going for $14,000 for a 2002 and in my opinion this car looks as nice if not nicer than those two. Also I have leather seats, and a more comfortable ride I believe. Plus it seems more like a luxury car than the two I just mentioned. I think its a status thing that some people feel they have to have a foreign car, but to me it wasn't worth spending an extra $7000 just for I could have a foreign nameplate on the trunk.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, price.

Suggested Improvements

Turning circle is very wide. I have to back up a few times before getting into a parking space.

Most Unreliable Car in History
By katoht

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a nightmare since day one. My parents bought this car used in 2004, two years after the car was released. Within a year of owning it, the transmission blew and needed to be replaced. The interior paneling on the doors has fallen off completely. The rocker panels underneath the car are extremely susceptible to rust; they rusted through completely and fell off of this car entirely. The rear passenger side window never closed fully. There has always been an oil leak that our mechanics are unsure of the cause. There is oil leaking into the exhaust. The AC is broken and no longer works. The fly wheel ground against the starter, destroying the gears. Overall, a nightmare to own.

Lots of problems
By cbn4equine

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm 19 now and as a first car, it was alright. My "trans axle" light came on regularly with no known cause. Hoses came loose causing A/C not to be cold. Last fall I ended up hydroplaning on a main highway. I was (idiotically) not wearing my seat belt when I hit water, lost control, and hit the guardrail on both ends of my car. I spun 360 then 180 and landed in front of the exit sign going 295S to 64E. Luckily, I was not hurt. I tried to turn the car back on, but the wreck completely destroyed the front. One thing that stuck out was that the airbags never deployed when I hit the guardrail and began spinning. If you consider yourself a safe driver then this car may be a good fit.

Favorite Features

seats 6 people, middle console can be transformed. back seat flips down to reach trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

maintenance light problems

Piece of junk
By scawvey

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got my Taurus new and after a year the adjustable pedals quit working and my air bag light came on and is still on 11 years later. I have had lots of work done to the underneath of my car (almost everything replaced) and it still shakes, rattles, pings, and knocks from underneath. I hate driving this car! It is terrible and It eats tires every year. The engine has given no trouble, but crappy underneath the car. I have also had trouble with the heater hose stopping up and going a winter or two with no heat. It pulls to the right pretty bad, I let go of the wheel for a second and it's gone over to the other side of the road. And now it's leaking oil somewhere. What next???

Favorite Features

There are no features, pretty boring

Suggested Improvements

Everything underneath

198K miles, still going - did I get lucky?
By newvegasnerd

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I inherited the family car as my first car, and I couldn't have asked for more out of it. It has gotten me from point A to point B 20 miles and back everyday for almost two years now, and it is showing no sign of slowing down. All the meat and potatoes of this car are original, engine, tranny, etc. Nothing big has ever been replaced. It is a heavy car; it absorbs the road well. Not a very good snow car - it is a heavy sedan without anything stellar to help it out in the snow/ice. Excessive road salt has started to rot out underneath the doors and the wheel wells - no stopping that. All in all if you can find one of these used cheap with somewhat low mileage, it makes a perfect first car.

Favorite Features

It can haul if you need it to, thanks to the V6. Speaking of, even when doing so, I still "rock" ~22-23 miles per gallon. Not bad for an old V6! Nice and big sedan can fit a lot of people, too - 4 very comfortably, and 6 if you really want to. Absorbs road well. Intuitive cruise control and radio setup. A/C is awesome. Power windows/mirrors/seats are a luxury for a first car.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes are pretty bad, front discs and real drums. Upgrade the brakes if you feel like it - this heavy beast takes a while to completely stop quickly. Maybe I'm just pampered driving my mom's 2011 Altima. Heavy + Bad Brakes = not a good snow car. Speakers aren't hardcore, don't go pumping these too hard, people will laugh at you. I'm at the point where I'm doing a lot of little repairs to the car, but it's still cheaper than doing monthly payments on a new/leased compact.