2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
198K miles, still going - did I get lucky?
By newvegasnerd on 04/29/14 10:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I inherited the family car as my first car, and I couldn't have asked for more out of it. It has gotten me from point A to point B 20 miles and back everyday for almost two years now, and it is showing no sign of slowing down. All the meat and potatoes of this car are original, engine, tranny, etc. Nothing big has ever been replaced. It is a heavy car; it absorbs the road well. Not a very good snow car - it is a heavy sedan without anything stellar to help it out in the snow/ice. Excessive road salt has started to rot out underneath the doors and the wheel wells - no stopping that. All in all if you can find one of these used cheap with somewhat low mileage, it makes a perfect first car.

Comfotable, Reliable, Very Strong Engine and Drivtrain
By rochev on 01/11/14 13:33 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had two Taurus's. Neither have ever given me a single issue. My '02 SE has 175,000 miles of trouble free driving. People complain about the transmission but they don't change the fluid and filter like you're supposed to. I have done that every 30k miles and haven't had an issue on either. My last one died at 180k miles when it was totaled. It is missed every day. This car always starts even well below 0 degrees (F) nothing rattles, interior build has held up since new. Only down side I can think of is these cars have weak struts. Other than that, if you change the transmission fluid like you should, you'll have one of the most reliable cars built.

Piece of junk
By scawvey on 08/20/13 16:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got my Taurus new and after a year the adjustable pedals quit working and my air bag light came on and is still on 11 years later. I have had lots of work done to the underneath of my car (almost everything replaced) and it still shakes, rattles, pings, and knocks from underneath. I hate driving this car! It is terrible and It eats tires every year. The engine has given no trouble, but crappy underneath the car. I have also had trouble with the heater hose stopping up and going a winter or two with no heat. It pulls to the right pretty bad, I let go of the wheel for a second and it's gone over to the other side of the road. And now it's leaking oil somewhere. What next???

Big Blue
By ravens_fan010 on 08/04/11 22:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car went to me from my grandma and I couldn't be more happy with it! Honestly, I had considered selling this car at first (with the few miles and its good condition, it could get a good price), but after a year of owning it, I must say, I couldn't get rid of it now. My younger sister loves going for rides my car, and I became so attached to it that I even gave it a name! The only issue I had was an antifreeze leak because my grandma barely ever drove it, so most of its nine years of life was spent in the garage; and the gas gauge isn't entirely correct, but other than that, no major problems. Great, reliable sedan; I recommend it for almost anyone.

6 years and 60k miles later
By mikepm on 07/28/11 06:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My mom bought this car for me when I was in college and it's fairly comfortable to drive. Maintenance wise, atleast $300 per year in the things that had to be fixed. That's not including the things that are currently wrong with it and too expensive to fix. Had a mechanic tell me he loved Fords and Chevy's because he makes so much money off them (from repairs)

Ford Taurus, Bad decision
By INDYLAC on 07/29/10 11:03 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Every Ford Taurus I have ever owned, ( I've owned three unfortunately) have emission system failure. It is extremely costly. Although you can drive the car until its last legs, it will continue to deteriorate without any hopes of getting it fixed. Every diagnostics is different went attempting to repair it. Sensors, intake valves, exhaust. You name it. The car hesitates and will not go. Not even Ford is able to completely fix this defect and when I Google it nobody else does. If you buy one it might be great for about a year, sell it fast!

2002 Ford Taurus SE
By Kris on 03/16/10 21:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had my Taurus for about 3 years now the first two years I haven't had anything major done on it besides brakes and oil changes, the last two months I had nothing but troubles with it starting from engine sensors (camshaft) fuel pump , car would die wiring electrical problems, transmission went out completely had to tow it to the dealer I have 85K on it, and I never abuse the car its very well maintained! I may switch to a Japanese car for better reliability

best vehicle we ever owned
By love it on 04/24/09 07:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

it now has 209,000 miles we bought it for mail route no console shift full bench seats which makes it easy to reach mail boxes, We have done brakes 2 times, tires 2 times serpintine belt 1 time uses no oil runs like it did the day we bought it goes in snow front wheel drive heater and ac work great so we got our money out of this vehicle for sure we all so own 2 honda crv which are all so excellent vehicles for mail routes etc so yes the Ford has been great and still is excellent way to go Ford if the other owners are claiming all the problems they state , Well its hard to belive,

keeps on going and going and going
By checkemoutgood on 04/22/09 05:12 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

bought it with 256 miles on it now it has 207,000 no problems what so ever just tires brakes etc common maintence we use it for rural mail delivery dones not use oil still runs and drives like the day we bought it never a tranny problem we will keep it till she dies and that may be some time away we used Honda CRV we had 2 of them because they have no console we set in the senter had to reove cup holder we still use a CRV in winter because of the 4/wd drive and Indiana snow storms, This Tarus has been great starts in sub 0 temps and goes great in snow as long as its not real deep way to go Ford

Most Reliable Car Ever
By bill ward on 07/20/08 11:58 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used at 27000 miles. I added 116000 mostly highway miles. The car has been flawless - I haven't had to do anything except routine maintenance, with the exception of 1 inexpensive broken anti-sway bar.