Used 2002 Ford Taurus SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

198K miles, still going - did I get lucky?
By newvegasnerd

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I inherited the family car as my first car, and I couldn't have asked for more out of it. It has gotten me from point A to point B 20 miles and back everyday for almost two years now, and it is showing no sign of slowing down. All the meat and potatoes of this car are original, engine, tranny, etc. Nothing big has ever been replaced. It is a heavy car; it absorbs the road well. Not a very good snow car - it is a heavy sedan without anything stellar to help it out in the snow/ice. Excessive road salt has started to rot out underneath the doors and the wheel wells - no stopping that. All in all if you can find one of these used cheap with somewhat low mileage, it makes a perfect first car.

Favorite Features

It can haul if you need it to, thanks to the V6. Speaking of, even when doing so, I still "rock" ~22-23 miles per gallon. Not bad for an old V6! Nice and big sedan can fit a lot of people, too - 4 very comfortably, and 6 if you really want to. Absorbs road well. Intuitive cruise control and radio setup. A/C is awesome. Power windows/mirrors/seats are a luxury for a first car.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes are pretty bad, front discs and real drums. Upgrade the brakes if you feel like it - this heavy beast takes a while to completely stop quickly. Maybe I'm just pampered driving my mom's 2011 Altima. Heavy + Bad Brakes = not a good snow car. Speakers aren't hardcore, don't go pumping these too hard, people will laugh at you. I'm at the point where I'm doing a lot of little repairs to the car, but it's still cheaper than doing monthly payments on a new/leased compact.

Comfotable, Reliable, Very Strong Engine and Drivtrain
By rochev

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had two Taurus's. Neither have ever given me a single issue. My '02 SE has 175,000 miles of trouble free driving. People complain about the transmission but they don't change the fluid and filter like you're supposed to. I have done that every 30k miles and haven't had an issue on either. My last one died at 180k miles when it was totaled. It is missed every day. This car always starts even well below 0 degrees (F) nothing rattles, interior build has held up since new. Only down side I can think of is these cars have weak struts. Other than that, if you change the transmission fluid like you should, you'll have one of the most reliable cars built.

Favorite Features

Puddle lights, Alarm, keyless entry, 4 wheel ABS brakes, 24 MPG with a heavy foot.

Suggested Improvements

Better struts, rear disk brakes and not drum. (PIA to change when rusty)

Piece of junk
By scawvey

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got my Taurus new and after a year the adjustable pedals quit working and my air bag light came on and is still on 11 years later. I have had lots of work done to the underneath of my car (almost everything replaced) and it still shakes, rattles, pings, and knocks from underneath. I hate driving this car! It is terrible and It eats tires every year. The engine has given no trouble, but crappy underneath the car. I have also had trouble with the heater hose stopping up and going a winter or two with no heat. It pulls to the right pretty bad, I let go of the wheel for a second and it's gone over to the other side of the road. And now it's leaking oil somewhere. What next???

Favorite Features

There are no features, pretty boring

Suggested Improvements

Everything underneath

Big Blue
By ravens_fan010

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car went to me from my grandma and I couldn't be more happy with it! Honestly, I had considered selling this car at first (with the few miles and its good condition, it could get a good price), but after a year of owning it, I must say, I couldn't get rid of it now. My younger sister loves going for rides my car, and I became so attached to it that I even gave it a name! The only issue I had was an antifreeze leak because my grandma barely ever drove it, so most of its nine years of life was spent in the garage; and the gas gauge isn't entirely correct, but other than that, no major problems. Great, reliable sedan; I recommend it for almost anyone.

Favorite Features

It drives very smooth, the sound system is awesome, and my friend -- a GM person at heart -- admits the Taurus is a nice ride. A sleek, attractive exterior, in my opinion (much nicer than its 1999 ancestors), beautiful metallic paint, and a sheltered life has kept the headlights sparkling clear.

Suggested Improvements

All I would change is the CD player - wish it could play more than one disc at a time, but I believe there's an upgrade for that.

6 years and 60k miles later
By mikepm

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My mom bought this car for me when I was in college and it's fairly comfortable to drive. Maintenance wise, atleast $300 per year in the things that had to be fixed. That's not including the things that are currently wrong with it and too expensive to fix. Had a mechanic tell me he loved Fords and Chevy's because he makes so much money off them (from repairs)

Suggested Improvements

Reliability and quality.