Used 2002 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Most Helpful|
Good practical car
By Mike

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The main advantage to this car is the price. I bought this car almost 2 years ago and have had very few problems (knock on wood) and it only cost me $7000 to buy. The comparable Toyota Camry and Honda Accords were going for $14,000 for a 2002 and in my opinion this car looks as nice if not nicer than those two. Also I have leather seats, and a more comfortable ride I believe. Plus it seems more like a luxury car than the two I just mentioned. I think its a status thing that some people feel they have to have a foreign car, but to me it wasn't worth spending an extra $7000 just for I could have a foreign nameplate on the trunk.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, price.

Suggested Improvements

Turning circle is very wide. I have to back up a few times before getting into a parking space.

Most Unreliable Car in History
By katoht

2002 Ford Taurus SES Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a nightmare since day one. My parents bought this car used in 2004, two years after the car was released. Within a year of owning it, the transmission blew and needed to be replaced. The interior paneling on the doors has fallen off completely. The rocker panels underneath the car are extremely susceptible to rust; they rusted through completely and fell off of this car entirely. The rear passenger side window never closed fully. There has always been an oil leak that our mechanics are unsure of the cause. There is oil leaking into the exhaust. The AC is broken and no longer works. The fly wheel ground against the starter, destroying the gears. Overall, a nightmare to own.

Piece of junk
By scawvey

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got my Taurus new and after a year the adjustable pedals quit working and my air bag light came on and is still on 11 years later. I have had lots of work done to the underneath of my car (almost everything replaced) and it still shakes, rattles, pings, and knocks from underneath. I hate driving this car! It is terrible and It eats tires every year. The engine has given no trouble, but crappy underneath the car. I have also had trouble with the heater hose stopping up and going a winter or two with no heat. It pulls to the right pretty bad, I let go of the wheel for a second and it's gone over to the other side of the road. And now it's leaking oil somewhere. What next???

Favorite Features

There are no features, pretty boring

Suggested Improvements

Everything underneath

It's JUNK, don't buy one
By Sam B.

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new and it has 73500 miles on it. It has been a lot of trouble. Replaced oxygen sensors twice, and coolant reservoir. It could have cost the motor if not caught in time. Door ajar sensors went bad, cruise control started coming on and kicking in by itself. Trunk lid would pop open by itself; just numerous electrical problems. There is a recall on the stop lamp switch and wiring harness, also the EGR pressure sensor. Transmission jerks shifting sometimes. A friend bought one new 3 months after me and had to put a motor in it with less than 10,000 miles on it. This is my second new Ford car with numerous troubles and my last. This car has been serviced regularly and looked after -- not neglected.

Favorite Features

Motor has good power. Exterior looks good. That's about it.

Suggested Improvements

I don't know where to start or stop at. Quality and reliability sums it up.

Ford Taurus, Bad decision
By INDYLAC

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Every Ford Taurus I have ever owned, ( I've owned three unfortunately) have emission system failure. It is extremely costly. Although you can drive the car until its last legs, it will continue to deteriorate without any hopes of getting it fixed. Every diagnostics is different went attempting to repair it. Sensors, intake valves, exhaust. You name it. The car hesitates and will not go. Not even Ford is able to completely fix this defect and when I Google it nobody else does. If you buy one it might be great for about a year, sell it fast!