2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Comfotable, Reliable, Very Strong Engine and Drivtrain
By rochev on 01/11/14 13:33 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had two Taurus's. Neither have ever given me a single issue. My '02 SE has 175,000 miles of trouble free driving. People complain about the transmission but they don't change the fluid and filter like you're supposed to. I have done that every 30k miles and haven't had an issue on either. My last one died at 180k miles when it was totaled. It is missed every day. This car always starts even well below 0 degrees (F) nothing rattles, interior build has held up since new. Only down side I can think of is these cars have weak struts. Other than that, if you change the transmission fluid like you should, you'll have one of the most reliable cars built.

Piece of junk
By scawvey on 08/20/13 16:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got my Taurus new and after a year the adjustable pedals quit working and my air bag light came on and is still on 11 years later. I have had lots of work done to the underneath of my car (almost everything replaced) and it still shakes, rattles, pings, and knocks from underneath. I hate driving this car! It is terrible and It eats tires every year. The engine has given no trouble, but crappy underneath the car. I have also had trouble with the heater hose stopping up and going a winter or two with no heat. It pulls to the right pretty bad, I let go of the wheel for a second and it's gone over to the other side of the road. And now it's leaking oil somewhere. What next???

Lots of problems
By cbn4equine on 06/10/12 13:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm 19 now and as a first car, it was alright. My "trans axle" light came on regularly with no known cause. Hoses came loose causing A/C not to be cold. Last fall I ended up hydroplaning on a main highway. I was (idiotically) not wearing my seat belt when I hit water, lost control, and hit the guardrail on both ends of my car. I spun 360 then 180 and landed in front of the exit sign going 295S to 64E. Luckily, I was not hurt. I tried to turn the car back on, but the wreck completely destroyed the front. One thing that stuck out was that the airbags never deployed when I hit the guardrail and began spinning. If you consider yourself a safe driver then this car may be a good fit.

Reliable and efficient car
By codynight26 on 04/30/12 16:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES FFV 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This Taurus is a great little car that does everything asked of it. It has over 128,000 miles and all we have done besides regular maintinence is replace the battery and fix some dents. It has withstood driving gravel roads every single day. The V6 engine offers enough power but is also fuel efficient. Edmunds says 25 highway, i get 26. Its not the most luxurious car, but it is great for a family car or a school car. If you need an inexpensive car to use as a family vehicle, this car is definitly worth a look.

170000k and still going
By powemicj on 09/15/11 18:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Title says it all

Big Blue
By ravens_fan010 on 08/04/11 22:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car went to me from my grandma and I couldn't be more happy with it! Honestly, I had considered selling this car at first (with the few miles and its good condition, it could get a good price), but after a year of owning it, I must say, I couldn't get rid of it now. My younger sister loves going for rides my car, and I became so attached to it that I even gave it a name! The only issue I had was an antifreeze leak because my grandma barely ever drove it, so most of its nine years of life was spent in the garage; and the gas gauge isn't entirely correct, but other than that, no major problems. Great, reliable sedan; I recommend it for almost anyone.

6 years and 60k miles later
By mikepm on 07/28/11 06:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My mom bought this car for me when I was in college and it's fairly comfortable to drive. Maintenance wise, atleast $300 per year in the things that had to be fixed. That's not including the things that are currently wrong with it and too expensive to fix. Had a mechanic tell me he loved Fords and Chevy's because he makes so much money off them (from repairs)

Ford Taurus, Bad decision
By INDYLAC on 07/29/10 11:03 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Every Ford Taurus I have ever owned, ( I've owned three unfortunately) have emission system failure. It is extremely costly. Although you can drive the car until its last legs, it will continue to deteriorate without any hopes of getting it fixed. Every diagnostics is different went attempting to repair it. Sensors, intake valves, exhaust. You name it. The car hesitates and will not go. Not even Ford is able to completely fix this defect and when I Google it nobody else does. If you buy one it might be great for about a year, sell it fast!

Boring is good
By richard risatti on 06/28/10 05:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Taurus and it's even more reliable than my 98 was. It has 114k on it and only problem was a starter at about 110k. The wagon is not as comfortable for a tall person as the sedan. Seems as though they had to move the seats up a little for more room in the back. Was the perfect car for servicing copiers, lots of room and easy access for parts, plus the door handles and locks have held up well on the job.

Trusty but Rusty
By Jerame on 04/30/10 14:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my 2002 Ford Taurus for the past 6 years and have 123,000 miles on it and can say it has been a comfortable and dependable car to this point. I had to replace the front rotors at about 90k and have both ball joints replaced in the front end, but outside of that it is a good daily driver. Be careful to watch above the rear fenders for rust as it likes to start from the inside, I found out that they tend to rust very easily due to not being sealed well at the factory, mine didn't show rust until 6 months outside of the 6 year body warranty and the factory would not help. Overall I like to exterior looks and smooth lines, but the rust is getting worse.