2002 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Most Unreliable Car in History
By katoht on 01/09/15 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Taurus SES Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a nightmare since day one. My parents bought this car used in 2004, two years after the car was released. Within a year of owning it, the transmission blew and needed to be replaced. The interior paneling on the doors has fallen off completely. The rocker panels underneath the car are extremely susceptible to rust; they rusted through completely and fell off of this car entirely. The rear passenger side window never closed fully. There has always been an oil leak that our mechanics are unsure of the cause. There is oil leaking into the exhaust. The AC is broken and no longer works. The fly wheel ground against the starter, destroying the gears. Overall, a nightmare to own.

2002 SES
By dom52 on 10/05/14 22:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car replaced my 2001 Oldsmobile Alero and i couldn't be happier. I bought this car at 179,000+ as of late last year and up until now i have added 5,000+ miles. This car is equipped with the Duratec 30 engine, and the AX4N automatic transmission. Both are in pristine condition and show no signs of failing. Appropriate driving habits and maintenance, this car will last. Change the oil frequently(use whatever is shown on the oil cap), change filters, etc. and this car will be reliable. Another tip: Use the E brake(a peddle with a handle release) before setting the car in Park, less stress on the transmission.

198K miles, still going - did I get lucky?
By newvegasnerd on 04/29/14 10:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I inherited the family car as my first car, and I couldn't have asked for more out of it. It has gotten me from point A to point B 20 miles and back everyday for almost two years now, and it is showing no sign of slowing down. All the meat and potatoes of this car are original, engine, tranny, etc. Nothing big has ever been replaced. It is a heavy car; it absorbs the road well. Not a very good snow car - it is a heavy sedan without anything stellar to help it out in the snow/ice. Excessive road salt has started to rot out underneath the doors and the wheel wells - no stopping that. All in all if you can find one of these used cheap with somewhat low mileage, it makes a perfect first car.

Comfotable, Reliable, Very Strong Engine and Drivtrain
By rochev on 01/11/14 13:33 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had two Taurus's. Neither have ever given me a single issue. My '02 SE has 175,000 miles of trouble free driving. People complain about the transmission but they don't change the fluid and filter like you're supposed to. I have done that every 30k miles and haven't had an issue on either. My last one died at 180k miles when it was totaled. It is missed every day. This car always starts even well below 0 degrees (F) nothing rattles, interior build has held up since new. Only down side I can think of is these cars have weak struts. Other than that, if you change the transmission fluid like you should, you'll have one of the most reliable cars built.

Piece of junk
By scawvey on 08/20/13 16:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got my Taurus new and after a year the adjustable pedals quit working and my air bag light came on and is still on 11 years later. I have had lots of work done to the underneath of my car (almost everything replaced) and it still shakes, rattles, pings, and knocks from underneath. I hate driving this car! It is terrible and It eats tires every year. The engine has given no trouble, but crappy underneath the car. I have also had trouble with the heater hose stopping up and going a winter or two with no heat. It pulls to the right pretty bad, I let go of the wheel for a second and it's gone over to the other side of the road. And now it's leaking oil somewhere. What next???

Lots of problems
By cbn4equine on 06/10/12 13:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm 19 now and as a first car, it was alright. My "trans axle" light came on regularly with no known cause. Hoses came loose causing A/C not to be cold. Last fall I ended up hydroplaning on a main highway. I was (idiotically) not wearing my seat belt when I hit water, lost control, and hit the guardrail on both ends of my car. I spun 360 then 180 and landed in front of the exit sign going 295S to 64E. Luckily, I was not hurt. I tried to turn the car back on, but the wreck completely destroyed the front. One thing that stuck out was that the airbags never deployed when I hit the guardrail and began spinning. If you consider yourself a safe driver then this car may be a good fit.

Reliable and efficient car
By codynight26 on 04/30/12 16:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES FFV 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This Taurus is a great little car that does everything asked of it. It has over 128,000 miles and all we have done besides regular maintinence is replace the battery and fix some dents. It has withstood driving gravel roads every single day. The V6 engine offers enough power but is also fuel efficient. Edmunds says 25 highway, i get 26. Its not the most luxurious car, but it is great for a family car or a school car. If you need an inexpensive car to use as a family vehicle, this car is definitly worth a look.

170000k and still going
By powemicj on 09/15/11 18:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Title says it all

Big Blue
By ravens_fan010 on 08/04/11 22:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car went to me from my grandma and I couldn't be more happy with it! Honestly, I had considered selling this car at first (with the few miles and its good condition, it could get a good price), but after a year of owning it, I must say, I couldn't get rid of it now. My younger sister loves going for rides my car, and I became so attached to it that I even gave it a name! The only issue I had was an antifreeze leak because my grandma barely ever drove it, so most of its nine years of life was spent in the garage; and the gas gauge isn't entirely correct, but other than that, no major problems. Great, reliable sedan; I recommend it for almost anyone.

6 years and 60k miles later
By mikepm on 07/28/11 06:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My mom bought this car for me when I was in college and it's fairly comfortable to drive. Maintenance wise, atleast $300 per year in the things that had to be fixed. That's not including the things that are currently wrong with it and too expensive to fix. Had a mechanic tell me he loved Fords and Chevy's because he makes so much money off them (from repairs)