Used 2002 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 124 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Reliable and powerful.
By Kevin R

2002 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car runs great at 131,000 miles. The duratec engine is quite powerful.

Wishing in one hand [non-permissible content removed]
By witness45

2002 Ford Taurus SE FFV 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

3 years ago I was really proud to be able to finally purchase a vehicle. This car was clean with only 36000 miles on it. I thought I had a reliable vehicle but I was wrong. I had to replace the front driver side tire often. It would wear unevenly. When I hit 47K miles the transmission went, fixed, the alternator went, fixed, the AC went, and now the fuel pump is going out. It really is disappointing because I loved loading up the dog and fiancé and traveling out to the lake or mountains, and using the back as our tent, the rear seats fold down and there is plenty of room. If you get a good one, they can be an awesome car, I got a bad one and am now in the market again.

Rear folding seats, plenty of storage, third row folding seat.

Most Unreliable Car in History
By katoht

2002 Ford Taurus SES Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a nightmare since day one. My parents bought this car used in 2004, two years after the car was released. Within a year of owning it, the transmission blew and needed to be replaced. The interior paneling on the doors has fallen off completely. The rocker panels underneath the car are extremely susceptible to rust; they rusted through completely and fell off of this car entirely. The rear passenger side window never closed fully. There has always been an oil leak that our mechanics are unsure of the cause. There is oil leaking into the exhaust. The AC is broken and no longer works. The fly wheel ground against the starter, destroying the gears. Overall, a nightmare to own.

2002 SES
By dom52

2002 Ford Taurus SES Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car replaced my 2001 Oldsmobile Alero and i couldn't be happier. I bought this car at 179,000+ as of late last year and up until now i have added 5,000+ miles. This car is equipped with the Duratec 30 engine, and the AX4N automatic transmission. Both are in pristine condition and show no signs of failing. Appropriate driving habits and maintenance, this car will last. Change the oil frequently(use whatever is shown on the oil cap), change filters, etc. and this car will be reliable. Another tip: Use the E brake(a peddle with a handle release) before setting the car in Park, less stress on the transmission.

Love the engine, 200HP is really all someone needs. Power seats, adjustable peddles, etc.

None.

198K miles, still going - did I get lucky?
By newvegasnerd

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I inherited the family car as my first car, and I couldn't have asked for more out of it. It has gotten me from point A to point B 20 miles and back everyday for almost two years now, and it is showing no sign of slowing down. All the meat and potatoes of this car are original, engine, tranny, etc.
Nothing big has ever been replaced. It is a heavy car; it absorbs the road well. Not a very good snow car - it is a heavy sedan without anything stellar to help it out in the snow/ice. Excessive road salt has started to rot out underneath the doors and the wheel wells - no stopping that. All in all if you can find one of these used cheap with somewhat low mileage, it makes a perfect first car.

It can haul if you need it to, thanks to the V6. Speaking of, even when doing so, I still "rock" ~22-23 miles per gallon. Not bad for an old V6! Nice and big sedan can fit a lot of people, too - 4 very comfortably, and 6 if you really want to. Absorbs road well. Intuitive cruise control and radio setup. A/C is awesome. Power windows/mirrors/seats are a luxury for a first car.

Brakes are pretty bad, front discs and real drums. Upgrade the brakes if you feel like it - this heavy beast takes a while to completely stop quickly. Maybe I'm just pampered driving my mom's 2011 Altima. Heavy + Bad Brakes = not a good snow car. Speakers aren't hardcore, don't go pumping these too hard, people will laugh at you. I'm at the point where I'm doing a lot of little repairs to the car, but it's still cheaper than doing monthly payments on a new/leased compact.