Used 2001 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Greatest sedan ever!!
By Lucas

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I never thought I would appreciate this car as much as I do. Other cars have come and gone but my taurus keeps on keeping on. Never had to replace anything. I maintain it religiously and it treats me just as well. Pushing 150K miles and showing no signs of slowing down. Love the look of the new 2010's and hope to be able to get one.

Favorite Features

Great interior quality, great engine quality, tons of interior space(I'm 6ft 4)

Suggested Improvements

None! Absolutely no complaints on this one!

Best Used Car I have Owned
By TMINJ

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this 01 SE in Feb 2008 with 103K Miles. Now have 140K Miles on it and it still runs excellent! Gas mileage is around 25 MPG and I am a little heavy with the right foot. I was always a little skeptical of buying a used car, but this one has proved me wrong. It was well serviced from the beginning and the only problem I had was the need to replace the front springs on the car at about 136K. Even with the miles on the car, it still runs great and is not burning any oil. I would highly recommend this vehicle for a daily commuter car. It is not a bundle of power, but it will run 65-70 all day long. I am commutting 100 miles per day and it has not let me down. Very well built car.

Favorite Features

The SE version didnt come with many options. Power driver seat is great. Didnt notice the manual lumbar support under the right side of the driver seat for a good year after purchased. Was shocked it was there, but glad I found it. Car handles very well in the snow as well! Silver paint looks good

Suggested Improvements

Four Wheel Disc Brakes. Drums in the back are okay but do show some fade in heavy breaking. 5 Speed Auto would have been nice, but for a 4 speed auto gas mileage is not bad. Tacks under 2000 at 60 MPH.

Update
By 2bigfoot

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Did review at 220,000 miles and had few problems, mainly front brake rotors. No matter what brand they still seem to want to warp.This gives pulsation while braking. At almost 275,000 miles had to replace the serpentine belt and radiator hoses. Still getting 27 mpg. A friend of mine has a 2000 model and has had many more repairs than mine with only 120,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Adjustable pedals

Suggested Improvements

Better brake system.

A Duratec Taurus is the only one to own.
By David

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my '01 SES 24v in September of '02. I have had amazingly trouble-free miles (148k currently!). I upgraded the springs/struts (that was a personal choice), but other than that, nothing major has gone wrong. The key to these cars -- any car, for that matter -- is to perform maintenance on schedule religiously. I have reduced the transmission fluid interval to 20k, as these transmissions are a known weak spot. Around town, I drive this car with the transmission in Drive, not Overdrive, and that seems to have made a big difference in the performance of the transmission. The Duratec motor (24v DOHC) is far superior to the Vulcan (12v SOHC) in both performance and mpg.

Favorite Features

24-valve Duratec engine, exterior design (especially with the trunk spoiler), amazing reliability, durability of the paint (though mine gets frequent detailings). Also love the 21+ mpg around town (at 148k on the odometer, no less!). Even better, it starts when I turn the key!

Suggested Improvements

4-wheel disc brakes, better quality plastics on the interior, dual-exhaust setup with bumper cutouts, upgraded leather quality, gauge package instead of idiot lights, bigger boost in power from the V6, 5- or 6-speed auto or manual transmission would be a nice option (as it is on the 2010 model)

Bought Used, Traded-in after 6.5 years
By tt

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Taurus SES used at 10K miles from a KS dealership. CARFAX reported car was a former rental in Hawaii. Had no probs until within last 2 yrs--the heater completely stopped working (bad heater core), the fuel gage shows max all the time, two light bulbs burned out behind the speedometer, cruise ctrl OFF button won't work, and check engine light that will not go out. The heater core is a $700 fix. I also had hail damage. I traded it in at 96k miles for a brand- new car. Got $1700 for it. The buying dealer didn't know about the heater being broke, nor about the hail dmg...I traded it in during an ice storm; the ice covered up the damages :)

Favorite Features

Large roomy interior

Suggested Improvements

The air conditioning panel all looks too plastic and cheap design. The headlamp knob is also cheap; they were all wobbly and on the verge of falling off.