Used 2001 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Update
By 2bigfoot

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Did review at 220,000 miles and had few problems, mainly front brake rotors. No matter what brand they still seem to want to warp.This gives pulsation while braking. At almost 275,000 miles had to replace the serpentine belt and radiator hoses. Still getting 27 mpg. A friend of mine has a 2000 model and has had many more repairs than mine with only 120,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Adjustable pedals

Suggested Improvements

Better brake system.

A Duratec Taurus is the only one to own.
By David

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my '01 SES 24v in September of '02. I have had amazingly trouble-free miles (148k currently!). I upgraded the springs/struts (that was a personal choice), but other than that, nothing major has gone wrong. The key to these cars -- any car, for that matter -- is to perform maintenance on schedule religiously. I have reduced the transmission fluid interval to 20k, as these transmissions are a known weak spot. Around town, I drive this car with the transmission in Drive, not Overdrive, and that seems to have made a big difference in the performance of the transmission. The Duratec motor (24v DOHC) is far superior to the Vulcan (12v SOHC) in both performance and mpg.

Favorite Features

24-valve Duratec engine, exterior design (especially with the trunk spoiler), amazing reliability, durability of the paint (though mine gets frequent detailings). Also love the 21+ mpg around town (at 148k on the odometer, no less!). Even better, it starts when I turn the key!

Suggested Improvements

4-wheel disc brakes, better quality plastics on the interior, dual-exhaust setup with bumper cutouts, upgraded leather quality, gauge package instead of idiot lights, bigger boost in power from the V6, 5- or 6-speed auto or manual transmission would be a nice option (as it is on the 2010 model)

Bought Used, Traded-in after 6.5 years
By tt

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Taurus SES used at 10K miles from a KS dealership. CARFAX reported car was a former rental in Hawaii. Had no probs until within last 2 yrs--the heater completely stopped working (bad heater core), the fuel gage shows max all the time, two light bulbs burned out behind the speedometer, cruise ctrl OFF button won't work, and check engine light that will not go out. The heater core is a $700 fix. I also had hail damage. I traded it in at 96k miles for a brand- new car. Got $1700 for it. The buying dealer didn't know about the heater being broke, nor about the hail dmg...I traded it in during an ice storm; the ice covered up the damages :)

Favorite Features

Large roomy interior

Suggested Improvements

The air conditioning panel all looks too plastic and cheap design. The headlamp knob is also cheap; they were all wobbly and on the verge of falling off.

19 / Mile Life Cycle Cost
By ERHandyMan

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fantastic car, currently running strong with 278,000 miles. I gave it to my kids to use at 274,000 and wish I was still driving it. This thing has been rock solid and if I could find another one to do the same I would buy it in a heart beat. Simply the best car I have owned out of 11 cars I have had. I typically get about 180,000 out of them before I either tire of them or the costs start to mount - not with this one!

Favorite Features

It drives great, I like the controls and I will never own another car without a sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

None.

My Super Taurus
By taurus_1

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when it was 4 years old with 100,000 miles on it. After 3 years & 70,000 additional miles on it, its still going strong

Favorite Features

CD player, power everything

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of jerky transmissions. It's just a quirk with these cars, it's not really a problem, just annoying