2001 Ford Taurus LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Taurus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Sort Reviews by

My Black Beauty
By bluologist

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 Taurus used in 2004 and for a year now I have had no major problems with my car. Very quiet ride and safe. I do a lot of traveling and I give it three thumbs up.

Favorite Features

The automatic door locks when the car starts to move. And the safety feature - when the keys are in the ignition the doors will not lock, just found that out like a week ago.

Suggested Improvements

Can't really think of any at this time, maybe make a hybrid style of Taurus.

2001 SELTaurus
By E Gossett

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was very pleased with this car until I had problems with the transmission. With only 31K, A small $4.00 bearing broke apart damaging the entire transmission resulting in $2500.00 in repairs. The transmission shop stated that they had other Taurus's with transmission problems for this particular year. This car has a nice appealing body style, however the curved door at the door handle dents easily when hit from other car doors. I mailed Ford Motor company a letter and asked for a response about my transmission problem, but they never did. Ford Motor company in my view, doesn't care about the value of their customers. I do not trust Ford Motor company, nor will I buy a Ford car again.

Favorite Features

Engine seems to be solid. Interior is very nice and comfortable, good leg room in both front and back.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission. Better design of the body panels to resist dents.

Poor quality car
By Gigi Kent

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

If you haven't bought one yet, don't.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior and stylish exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Engine, transmission, brakes, steering pump (noisy) and just about everything else.

IT'S RIGHT
By JT Hernandez

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Car is ok to drive, dependable, reliable, good gas mileage, pretty decent ride for long trips. Regular maintenance and you will be fine (oil changes, transmission service every 50,000 miles or so). Brake rotors major problem, they warp very easily. Even with them NEW, stopping distance is mediocre, need 4-discs instead of drums in the back. Seats are slightly uncomfortable; I feel the need to adjust the seat constantly. Needs more HP and response to throttle. Also, if you intend to drive this car aggressively beware engine oil pressure jumps up very quickly. Only thing I have replaced is the serpentine belt 117k miles.

Favorite Features

Nice looking exterior tip - add tints, sharpen the look even more.

Suggested Improvements

Rotors need improvement. Seats should fold-down in the rear. Driver seat should be more comfortable. More HP.

Ford Taurus
By Victor

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The transmission blew at 51, 000 miles and the vehicle has been in the shop for numerous mechanical things. I would not buy another Ford if it were the last car on the market.

Suggested Improvements

Buy something else.

What Else Could You Want?
By JFIELDS

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Taurus now for almost 5 years. I bought it new with 3 miles on it. since the day I drove it off the lot I have not had one problem with it, other than the normal brakes and oil changes and tires (also I suggest changing the tires to a better quality...it improves the ride considerably). I do however have a strange rattle noise coming from what I presume to be my windshield (right where the dash meets the windshield) and no one can seem to find out how to fix it or where it is coming from! I love this car and my brother just bought a Ford 500 and I would by another Taurus (which I am due to the 251,000 miles on mine). I would definitely suggest this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

I love the 6 cd changer and the moonroof and the keyless entry and of course the power adjustable pedals. Also the traction control has helped me out in many situations, and my Mach audio system is still as good as the day I drove it off the lot. Great engine.

Suggested Improvements

Definitely the gas mileage...it stinks, but with the other qualities of the car, it outweighs that little minor detail. After all gas just costs money and you just have to work for money right?

I love it!
By knukscrim

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the "boring" refined auto I have been waiting for. I love having a car that just performs well and does not demand that I coddle it! The 24 valve engine is smooth but peppy, and the mileage is not bad either.

Favorite Features

The 24 valve DOHC engine.

Shocked by a Ford
By Val

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I always swore I would never own a Ford. But, after driving a Blazer gas hog decided to try. Interiors roomy, especially if you have members of your family at least 6ft. tall. Rides smooth, quiet, and full of power.

Favorite Features

I love the cupholders, thats a major plus. No fear with passing as this vehicle has some major power. Overall a heavy duty vehicle and I (knock on wood) fortunately have not had any mechanical problems with it. It has made me change my opinons about Ford vehicles, at least the Taurus.

Suggested Improvements

After owning Hondas I can't think of any improvements for the Taurus. Wonderful vehicle. Improved gas mileage would be my only suggestion.

In 2001, Best sedan for the money.
By jjuhring

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car new in 2001. This is the SES model with 24 valve V6, 200HP, center console shifter and 6-disc CD changer. Purchased the car for the following reasons: Quieter on the freeway and $5,000 less than equally equipped Accord, sleek looks, VERY roomy interior both front and back, 200HP V6, leather seats, adjustable pedals, all for under $21,000. Now has 97,000 miles (almost all highway). Reliability has be very good. Brakes were just replaced at 85,000 miles, and fuel pump just died last week. No other problems so far. Engine and transmission still run strong, no rattles or interior noises, after washing it still looks new. Replaced original Continental tires at 60k miles.

Favorite Features

Quiet ride, good power, adjustable pedals, very roomy, dependable, low retail price.

Suggested Improvements

Ability to manually shift all 4 gears (current shifter skips 2nd gear). 4-wheel disk brakes. Option for 5-speed manual or Autostick transmission. More power. Less body roll when cornering.

Decent Reliability/Everything else break
By Mindi

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car has worked for what we needed, but every summer so far something has broken with the air conditioner and had to be repaired (Buy the extended warranty!). My Taurus has to be aligned about every 6-12 months. It is roomy and comfortable and the engine has held up quite well. I'm not impressed with the fuel economy. Be sure and get all rebates and don't pay too much for the vehicle and don't count on good trade in value as these vehicles along with most American made ones do not hold their value well at all.

Favorite Features

Comfy and roomy, 6 passenger seating, adjustable pedals and great acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Less trunk room to create more leg room for the back seat.