2001 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews 6

2001 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Not so impressed
By Michael S. on 12/11/06 14:24 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had the car since it was new - a little over 5 years. Last 18 months, the maintenance has been expensive. It gets serviced by the dealer or a national reliable chain, but the transmission died today, last year it was the transaxle seals. If there is good news, I'm running out of things to replace on this car.

I should have kept my Dakota Sport 4x4
By Dallas on 10/05/06 14:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 01' Ford in 04'. But within 20 thousand miles I had to put a brand new a/c in it. This vehicle loves to drink gas. The brakes are lousy. I have a 95' base model S-10 and the brakes are better on that truck. Its acceleration is like telling a donkey to "mush!". I wish I would have bought a Corolla because they are more reliable, better on gas and a better sound system. The sound system seriously lacks. I'm 22 and I feel like I'm a 38 year old with three kids driving that car. Ford needs to focus on making their vehicles better. I wouldn't recommend a Taurus to my worst enemy. Did I mention it was boring?

2001 SES DOHC
By J on 07/18/06 17:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had some recalls to deal with and some problems with the engine making unusual sounds. Not a car I would buy again. Has a lot of cargo area though.

Good Value
By mike erickson on 06/19/06 21:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has given great value. It was purchased and used initially as a sales car but soon became the family car due to a job change that supplied a business car. The Duratech engine [24 valve] is an excellent power plant but the transmission lacks some responsiveness to the power. The new 2006 cars with this motor have a 6 speed available which may have helped. I would not hesitate to recommend the car to anyone even with its minor faults. I have performed maintenance as directed in the manual and kept good tires on the car and haven't had to replace any suspension components including brakes in 125,000 miles of 4 season driving in the upper Midwest.

My Black Beauty
By bluologist on 05/15/06 15:21 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 Taurus used in 2004 and for a year now I have had no major problems with my car. Very quiet ride and safe. I do a lot of traveling and I give it three thumbs up.

2001 SELTaurus
By E Gossett on 05/02/06 17:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was very pleased with this car until I had problems with the transmission. With only 31K, A small $4.00 bearing broke apart damaging the entire transmission resulting in $2500.00 in repairs. The transmission shop stated that they had other Taurus's with transmission problems for this particular year. This car has a nice appealing body style, however the curved door at the door handle dents easily when hit from other car doors. I mailed Ford Motor company a letter and asked for a response about my transmission problem, but they never did. Ford Motor company in my view, doesn't care about the value of their customers. I do not trust Ford Motor company, nor will I buy a Ford car again.

Poor quality car
By Gigi Kent on 04/21/06 17:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

If you haven't bought one yet, don't.

IT'S RIGHT
By JT Hernandez on 04/09/06 17:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Car is ok to drive, dependable, reliable, good gas mileage, pretty decent ride for long trips. Regular maintenance and you will be fine (oil changes, transmission service every 50,000 miles or so). Brake rotors major problem, they warp very easily. Even with them NEW, stopping distance is mediocre, need 4-discs instead of drums in the back. Seats are slightly uncomfortable; I feel the need to adjust the seat constantly. Needs more HP and response to throttle. Also, if you intend to drive this car aggressively beware engine oil pressure jumps up very quickly. Only thing I have replaced is the serpentine belt 117k miles.

Ford Taurus
By Victor on 01/26/06 11:48 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The transmission blew at 51, 000 miles and the vehicle has been in the shop for numerous mechanical things. I would not buy another Ford if it were the last car on the market.

Great if you need a big ol' cruiser
By Julie on 10/30/05 23:30 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used at 30,000 miles. Like so many of the Tauruses, the front rotors were trashed and the rear brake components were about ready to go and all needed to be replaced. Have your brakes inspected by a competent shop! The car ran great until the dealer did a tune up. After that point the engine knocked terribly, except with premium fuel and they said there was nothing they could do. On the freeway, it was great, about 28mpg. When I moved to the city it got between 12-16mpg which was not acceptable. Other than that, it never broke down and had LOTS of room.