2001 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
120K and Like New
By Championdriver01 on 02/17/08 09:14 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus hit 120K on Valentine's Day. I am now positive it will last to be given to my son in 1 1/2 years. I have only had 3 problems since new- a transaxle seal (88K), a trunk spring (64K), and a radiator hose (65K). I would buy Taurus again.

Fantastic Reliability
By erhandyman on 02/11/08 08:30 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the vehicle new in September 2001 (right after 9/11 and got it for zero interest) and have nothing but praises for this vehicle. It now has over 250,000 miles and I have only done the typical oil changes (every 7,500 miles-95% hwy), air filters, tires & brakes. Tuneups at 100K & 200K. Serp belt & CV boots at 210K (just in case), and lastly coil springs (because my son drove it too fast over some rough train tracks and broke 2 of them). I routinely get 25 - 28 MPG even with all the miles. I would own another if they all were like mine in a heart beat!

A Solid 9
By ChampionDriver01 on 08/22/07 18:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Reliability- in 110K, needed only gas, reg maint, a hose, 2 transaxle seals, and the 'low coolant' light comes on 4 no reason. Build quality is a 9 b/c panels come loose, and cruise button quit. Ext design is perfect. Interior design is str8up. Is A lot of fun 2 drive. Gas mileage is poor, 20 city, 23 highway, and I do 95% highway. EPA is 20/27. Comfort-9 (see below). Performance- 9. For cruddy gas mileage, would love another 100HP, 200 and 24V isn't enough. But I love it, perect family car. Don't care for the Fusion, may go for 2008 Taurus, because I loved the 500, but never got one.

'01 Taurus
By Jerry S on 04/10/07 10:06 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Power and handling are about what I'd expect from this V6. My wife started driving it as a company car with about 6K. We bought it from her company at 36K. Goodyear did all maintanance to there. I have done all maintanence since, Mobil 1 oil. Trans service regularly. The EGR went out at 36K and again at 100K. Three sensors are out now with 107K showing. I had to take it to a shop to replace the serp. belt as there is not enough clearance to put my wrenches on it. Then the belt adjuster blew up at about 60K. Back to the shop. To replace plugs is major surgery. Brakes and suspension have lasted as expected. Locks quit at about 100K. My daughter drives it now so all bets are off.

Reliable Thing- Still
By ChampionDriver01 on 04/01/07 14:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus hit 100,000 miles today. It lasted that long. Everything from my last review still applies. I now have another problem to deal with. My low coolant light pops on about once a week. I will turn off the car, and it will not come on (with coolant tank full). My mileage went from 23 to approximately 24.3. The seat quality is still immaculate. I hit a pothole and it put a flat spot in the wheel. My front headlight is still fogged up. I have a good feeling that in 3 years this car will go to my son. Until then or until it dies, my Taurus for me. I will report back at 120-130K. Can't wait until the Five Hundred and Freestyle change to Taurus and Taurus X.

Reli'ble Thing
By ChampionDriver01 on 12/25/06 15:04 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This Taurus is SO better than the late 90's Eclipse one. Had a 99 and it was a lemon. This Taurus is great. At roughly 65K, everything started going. First, my car had been running for 10 minutes, and heard a clunking noise. My rear- right wheel was hot. I called the dealer and they said to refuel with a different gas (huh?) but helped. The next week, the air bag sensor was trashed. I thought about trading the Taurus in for a Freestyle but didn't. THEN, a hose in the engine had shredded its seal, and that was OK, but was stranded at the dealer for 5 days because they didn't have the part. Finally, the front headlight is fogged. But this is the best car I have ever owned. Fords only for me forever!

Not so impressed
By Michael S. on 12/11/06 14:24 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had the car since it was new - a little over 5 years. Last 18 months, the maintenance has been expensive. It gets serviced by the dealer or a national reliable chain, but the transmission died today, last year it was the transaxle seals. If there is good news, I'm running out of things to replace on this car.

I should have kept my Dakota Sport 4x4
By Dallas on 10/05/06 14:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 01' Ford in 04'. But within 20 thousand miles I had to put a brand new a/c in it. This vehicle loves to drink gas. The brakes are lousy. I have a 95' base model S-10 and the brakes are better on that truck. Its acceleration is like telling a donkey to "mush!". I wish I would have bought a Corolla because they are more reliable, better on gas and a better sound system. The sound system seriously lacks. I'm 22 and I feel like I'm a 38 year old with three kids driving that car. Ford needs to focus on making their vehicles better. I wouldn't recommend a Taurus to my worst enemy. Did I mention it was boring?

Good Value
By mike erickson on 06/19/06 21:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has given great value. It was purchased and used initially as a sales car but soon became the family car due to a job change that supplied a business car. The Duratech engine [24 valve] is an excellent power plant but the transmission lacks some responsiveness to the power. The new 2006 cars with this motor have a 6 speed available which may have helped. I would not hesitate to recommend the car to anyone even with its minor faults. I have performed maintenance as directed in the manual and kept good tires on the car and haven't had to replace any suspension components including brakes in 125,000 miles of 4 season driving in the upper Midwest.

My Black Beauty
By bluologist on 05/15/06 15:21 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 Taurus used in 2004 and for a year now I have had no major problems with my car. Very quiet ride and safe. I do a lot of traveling and I give it three thumbs up.